SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM
Expert on FPV ground ;)
Joined May 2011
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post

Ugh!

Not really going as planned . . . time to start reading the process notebook for Plan B . . .

I feel like such an idiot - some people make prototyping look so easy - maybe I should stick with guitar lessons . . . . . .

You're on the good way, I'll take a picture of my pickup without the aluminium sheet of the body, so it'll give you ideas to make easyly other angle than 90
traxxalu is offline Find More Posts by traxxalu
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
Team McFueler
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2011
295 Posts
Keep posting pics too!!!!!!!
sparkgaps is online now Find More Posts by sparkgaps
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traxxalu View Post
You're on the good way, I'll take a picture of my pickup without the aluminium sheet of the body, so it'll give you ideas to make easyly other angle than 90

Hurrying to finish one side before wifey gets home

I will match drill for fasteners, then add the sheet metal when the frame is finished

Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Yesterday, 11:27 PM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Starting my first fpv car

I just Started fpv this year. I got about 6 flights in before "needing" an osd and pan/tilt. I fried my cheap backup camera, and two tbs core OSDs but managed to get one more flight before the snow.

So I bought snow skiis for my fpv apprentice. http://imgur.com/sCD30UI. I took that picture before my hands got cold and forced to land 1000ft away in 4ft of snow.

Onto cars I go then. I confess I'm stealing Traxxalu's idea for his slash. His video of his slash getting rescued on the ice is what steered me towards cars. I couldn't afford a Slash so I bought a Hobbyking Nitro Circus sct and 100amp esc.

I bought an Integy slash rollcage, aluminum roof flashing, clear plexi glass, and some plasti-dip. I took my 5.8ghz fpv gear off the plane and hooked up my tbs core osd(it worked this time).

Here is what I did so far http://imgur.com/NElNqDt. The wooden box is attached by four standoffs to house the fpv gear, the esc js in there untill I have time to plasti-dip it. The roll cage is attached to the shock towers with a sandwich bracket, the was no room on the chassis.

Next work session will be holding the rangelink dipole up with something(not sure what yet), attaching windows to the roll-cage, and vecro some aluminum panels to the cage as well.

I liked how the actual car preformed, except it is faster in reverse and has no brakes, however the fpv range was horrible. I knew 5.8 would be bad, but not 30ft bad, I think it just has to be above the roll cage because the return trip was worse. I want to at least circle my house and drift on the pond in my yard. My property also has some atv trails to explore. I was thinking 2.3ghz but my region is covered with trees so I am not sure. I have rangelink which means a filter with 1.3ghz which halves the range.
Has anyone used 2.3 for ground use through trees? I was thinking I had room for a 2.3 cloverleaf, how wide are they?
Ruken is offline Find More Posts by Ruken
Old Yesterday, 11:55 PM
eS Dee eF ... Geoff!
Joined Oct 2011
65 Posts
I use 2.4Ghz and it's fine. With 500mW, and some 11dB Omni's (Whip, not CP) I get ~100m in houses, >500m open field. (I run out of control range at 500m).

Of course, Mileage will vary.

No idea how big the cloverleaf 2.4s are. Looking at the math, probably about 6cm diameter.

If it's faster in reverse are you sure you've got the polarity on the ESC correct. Try flipping them over and inverting the RC channel direction.
sdfgeoff is online now Find More Posts by sdfgeoff
Old Today, 07:23 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
I just Started fpv this year. I got about 6 flights in before "needing" an osd and pan/tilt. I fried my cheap backup camera, and two tbs core OSDs but managed to get one more flight before the snow.

So I bought snow skiis for my fpv apprentice. http://imgur.com/sCD30UI. I took that picture before my hands got cold and forced to land 1000ft away in 4ft of snow.

Onto cars I go then. I confess I'm stealing Traxxalu's idea for his slash. His video of his slash getting rescued on the ice is what steered me towards cars. I couldn't afford a Slash so I bought a Hobbyking Nitro Circus sct and 100amp esc.

I bought an Integy slash rollcage, aluminum roof flashing, clear plexi glass, and some plasti-dip. I took my 5.8ghz fpv gear off the plane and hooked up my tbs core osd(it worked this time).

Here is what I did so far http://imgur.com/NElNqDt. The wooden box is attached by four standoffs to house the fpv gear, the esc js in there untill I have time to plasti-dip it. The roll cage is attached to the shock towers with a sandwich bracket, the was no room on the chassis.

Next work session will be holding the rangelink dipole up with something(not sure what yet), attaching windows to the roll-cage, and vecro some aluminum panels to the cage as well.

I liked how the actual car preformed, except it is faster in reverse and has no brakes, however the fpv range was horrible. I knew 5.8 would be bad, but not 30ft bad, I think it just has to be above the roll cage because the return trip was worse. I want to at least circle my house and drift on the pond in my yard. My property also has some atv trails to explore. I was thinking 2.3ghz but my region is covered with trees so I am not sure. I have rangelink which means a filter with 1.3ghz which halves the range.
Has anyone used 2.3 for ground use through trees? I was thinking I had room for a 2.3 cloverleaf, how wide are they?
Just go the whole hog and buy 900mhz, 1.2 ghz or1.3ghz vtx and VRx, 800 mw, 1000mw, or 1500 mw, the choice is yours, personally I use 1.3ghz @ 1500mw, many others use 800mw.
Anything above 1.3ghz won't give the penetration that you require.
FPVsummituk is offline Find More Posts by FPVsummituk
Old Today, 07:33 AM
Team McFueler
United States, NC, Mooresville
Joined Aug 2011
295 Posts
Agree with FPVSummitUK, and you can watch some of his videos with long range on the ground which are pretty impressive!

In the air, I have used 1.3 and 5.8Ghz... I was surprised how much better the 1.3Ghz performs. I have a 5.8Ghz 600mw video TX and I get better range using a 1.3Ghz 30mw Tx. 5.8Ghz gives a lot of reflections and is bothered big time by buildings and trees. I'm sure 2.4 would be better then 5.8, but we have all had a blast and good results from the lower frequencies! Either way, use what you got and grow over time!
sparkgaps is online now Find More Posts by sparkgaps
Old Today, 08:26 AM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkgaps View Post
Agree with FPVSummitUK, and you can watch some of his videos with long range on the ground which are pretty impressive!

In the air, I have used 1.3 and 5.8Ghz... I was surprised how much better the 1.3Ghz performs. I have a 5.8Ghz 600mw video TX and I get better range using a 1.3Ghz 30mw Tx. 5.8Ghz gives a lot of reflections and is bothered big time by buildings and trees. I'm sure 2.4 would be better then 5.8, but we have all had a blast and good results from the lower frequencies! Either way, use what you got and grow over time!
Yes +1 on the last comment......try what you have already, it's just if you are thinking of spending money, then get something that will last.
The reason that I have doubts about 2.4ghz is that to get the range and penetration most people switch from 2.4ghz to UHF for their control, so why bother using it for video, if you know that the range on the ground is limited.
Old Today, 10:09 AM
Joined Aug 2014
3 Posts
Do stock whip antennas for 900mhz work well? I was thinking they would be good enough to circle the house and I could upgrade to CP antennas later. I'm worried about my rangelink not getting along with 900mhz but I have a newer version so hopefully it works.

My fpv monitor had two built-in 5.8 diversity receivers, will these get damaged without the antennas? Will they be fine with those red covers or do I need impedance caps?
Ruken is offline Find More Posts by Ruken
Old Today, 12:03 PM
The only R/C pilot in the city
Kazakhstan, West Kazakhstan Province, Aksay
Joined Sep 2012
313 Posts
UGV chassis winter test

Sorry, not FPV right now.
Maybe somebody will be interested.

UGV chassis winter test
Scorpio9999 is offline Find More Posts by Scorpio9999
Old Today, 12:14 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
1,286 Posts
Hey guys I know a few of you all don't follow the tonka summit forums.

I just post my new body reveal

Hope you all like it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...php?p=30950105

Be blessed
Isaac
tntburnett is online now Find More Posts by tntburnett
Old Today, 12:34 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,920 Posts
very nice good job. so clean and tight
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fpv summit
Old Today, 12:39 PM
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Apr 2013
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
very nice good job. so clean and tight
Thank you

Be blessed
Isaac
tntburnett is online now Find More Posts by tntburnett
Old Today, 04:05 PM
FPVRockApe on YouTube.
United Kingdom, Rayleigh
Joined Jan 2012
3,015 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruken View Post
Do stock whip antennas for 900mhz work well? I was thinking they would be good enough to circle the house and I could upgrade to CP antennas later. I'm worried about my rangelink not getting along with 900mhz but I have a newer version so hopefully it works.

My fpv monitor had two built-in 5.8 diversity receivers, will these get damaged without the antennas? Will they be fine with those red covers or do I need impedance caps?
You have a 5.8ghz Vtx and VRx........so retain them........add the Vtx to a relay......alongside your 1.3ghz VRx, and link them together. The 1.3 ghz vtx in the truck sends the signal to the relay which sends the 5.8 signal on to your FPV monitor.....nothing is wasted.......and you have got your rangelink Tx away from the 1.3 vrx........so there shouldn't be any conflict between the two. The other plus is that you can position the relay where it will work best, preferably up in the air, to get the best possible signal from the truck, allowing you to find somewhere comfortable to sit and drive.

Just a couple of photos to show how easy it is to build the relay.........