SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:38 PM
United Kingdom, England, Birmingham
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
Mini-Review
Boscam Galaxy D2 7" 5.8ghz diversity fpv LCD

This is a new model from Boscam, Galaxy D2. First and foremost, the specification!

Screen: 7 TFT LCD screen, LED backlight
Resolution: 800x480
Brightness: 400 cd/m
Contrast: 500:1
View Angle: 140/120 degree (Horizontal/Vertical)
Antenna Connector: RP-SMA
Channel: 5.8G Input; 2 Brands/ 32 Frequency selectable
Size: 176x112x24mm (Height of light shield:102mm)
Battery: Built-in 4000mA Li-Po battery
DC: 12V/1A
Power Consumption: 600mA@12V(maximum)

What caught my eye was the build in foldable sunshade which folds flat when not in use, essentially acts as a screen protector. The unit itself also looks very clean and well designed. I made my order at banggood and it arrived in about 10 days with free shipping!

Nothing fancy about the box!

Some bits and pieces it came with - there isn't any charger included, you will need to get a separate 12v charger for it. The charging cable comes with deans connector, and I have changed it to JST to use with my charger.

Charging led (red = charging, green = charged): the initial charge took about 4-5 hours to full on my 1.5A 12v charger.

On-off switch, and the mini-dip switches to select the channels on R1 and R2. Diversity is selected by choosing the same channel on both sides.

The only button on the unit - switch between R1 and R2's channel when not in diversity mode.

Mounting clip for radio receivers.

Also comes with mounting plate for tripod stand.

Mounted to my Dji Phantom.

The sunshades up!

Pros
Large bright screen
Well built, high quality plastic
Clean design, not many switches/buttons to fiddle with
Built in 4000mah lipo (presumably) with good battery life
foldable sunshade which acts as screen protector when not in use
Mounting clip for radio receiver well thought and very sturdy

Cons
Does not come with 12v charger
Charging took quite long to full charge
Does not have OSD to change screen settings - contrast, brightness etc etc
Default brightness is too bright - "burns out" highlight areas and reduced the amount of detail

It is difficult to show the default brightness being too bright - this photo shows that the text is readable on my smaller 5" screen but not readable on the boscam galaxy D2. The high brightness make it very hard to see in bright day light due to the intense brightness washing out alot of the detail.

Final thoughts
A good product and well made, but not well implemented. The default brightness is a major issue which will limit its use - I have raised this with Boscam and they are working on a software update (AFAIK! - I have posted on their facebook page and a response from them)
wtneo is offline Find More Posts by wtneo
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2014, 06:23 AM
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
finally got a sunny day to take more comparison pictures to highlight the brightness/contrast issue.

As you can see, the galaxy D2 is bright but too bright - it washes out alot of detail.

There is a limit of my iphone's ability to capture the brightness and details difference, which is a lot more apparent in real life.

I do hope that there will be a (easy software) fix in the near future for this issue, as the brightness/contrast issue is severely crippling the otherwise outstanding unit!
Old Nov 10, 2014, 09:02 AM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
Would you know what is the maximum current (A) that we can use to charge the D2? I'm currently using 3S lipos to charge the D2. It would be good to have some additional information in this area.

I have the same experience as you with regards to the very bright contrast of the D2. I've had to turn down the contrast from my camera outputs so that I don't get a whitewash image. As you said, it would be good if we can do a software firmware update to the D2. What would be better is we could adjust the brightness. Seeing that there is a lack of buttons, I doubt it would be possible.

I too have good experience from contacting Boscam on Facebook. In fact, they pointed me to your review to learn how to charge the D2!

Please keep this thread updated if you hear of any new firmware released!
truemobile is offline Find More Posts by truemobile
Old Nov 10, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
I have got a 1.5A charger, though my suspicion is that the unit will take up to 1A only.

I do hope the brightness/contrast issue will be fixed as I like the unit very much - excellent build, slim and the nice foldable sunshade is the killer!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:40 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Sep 2014
20 Posts
Well lets see if Boscam responds to my questions on Facebook.

I've tried charging the unit together with my 3S 2200mAh Lipo. So technically it looks like it would take the 2.2A charge that I'm feeding the Lipo. However when the Lipo became full the led on the D2 was still red.

Would you happen to know what all 3 LEDs on the unit can tell us? Left should be power, and far right charge status - what's the middle led for?
truemobile is offline Find More Posts by truemobile
Old Nov 12, 2014, 05:10 AM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
This charging methode is nonsense, just hook up any lipo to the charging jack and wait till led is green, it has its own charge management (be carful to not deep discharge the lipo, put a buzzer on it)

LEDs: One is Status (on off charging) other two is for which rx is used (left right)
palm369 is online now Find More Posts by palm369
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:50 AM
Russia
Joined Nov 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm369 View Post
just hook up any lipo to the charging jack
OMG is that an 'easy' way? now we need another lipo to charge its internal lipo? Future technologies have come to us!
sp_link is offline Find More Posts by sp_link
Old Nov 12, 2014, 10:46 AM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
U can also hook it up any power supply, sure that's easy. What could be easier?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:13 PM
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
you can hook it up to a conventional ac-dc charger with a 12v output - they are cheaps on ebay and everywhere.

the charging led is the one on your far right - green is charged, red is charging. it will take a few hours to fully charge the unit hence i suspect the charging amp is fixed by the unit, i.e. it wont go any higher that a certain number.

the led on your left and the middle led shows which channel the receiver is showing - RF1 or RF2. it doesnt have any real function if you are using diversity mode but if you are using the unit with two seperate tx units, there is a side button to switch between RF1 and RF2 to toggle between the two selected channels.

hope that helps!
Old Nov 12, 2014, 01:42 PM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
I got the answer from Boscam regarding the problem today.
They told me to send it back (RCTimer for me) and they will replace the monitor with a fixed one.
I'm not sure yet if i will get one without this problems for real.

Problems of mine:
- Lines in image on left RX, right one is fine
- Wont switch on if internal lipo is blow 3,91V without external power supply. If i remove it then it stays on for more than 2h
- Image issue mentioned on start
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:28 PM
Russia
Joined Nov 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for the info, it seems that this monitor isnt quite good. it attracted me by its mount and folding sun hood. i think i'll try to find something else to buy.
sp_link is offline Find More Posts by sp_link
Old Nov 13, 2014, 04:32 PM
Joined Dec 2013
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by palm369 View Post
I got the answer from Boscam regarding the problem today.
They told me to send it back (RCTimer for me) and they will replace the monitor with a fixed one.
I'm not sure yet if i will get one without this problems for real.

Problems of mine:
- Lines in image on left RX, right one is fine
- Wont switch on if internal lipo is blow 3,91V without external power supply. If i remove it then it stays on for more than 2h
- Image issue mentioned on start
thanks for the info!! ...had put my galaxy up for sale but now that this is the case, might try my luck sending it back to banggood!
Old Jan 05, 2015, 05:02 PM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
Anyone here who got one off the new batches? Problems fixed?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 03:40 PM
United Kingdom
Joined Aug 2010
41 Posts
Ive been tempted to get one of these to start in fpv but held off so far after a few of the comments.

As above, can anyone confirm if the newer batches are better?
Has there been any update regarding the screen brightness?

Along those lines, has anyone tried putting a light tinted film (car window tint sample?) over the screen to see if it improves it?
norfolkngood is offline Find More Posts by norfolkngood
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:44 PM
Germany, HH, Hamburg
Joined Jun 2012
67 Posts
I know this "brightness" problem may be a bit confusing. We all love bright screens for FPV but with this one the picture looks overexposure. I think this describes it better. It looks totally washed out.