Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Build Log
VQ Warbirds Hurricane 60 Size, Both Colors

THIS IS A JOINT BUILD THREAD, EVERYONE PARTICIPATES

This is the start of an official (well sort of official) build thread for the VQ Warbirds Hurricane, 60 size.

It comes in two basic cameo colors, I am building both colors at the same time. Take your pick.

Wingspan 63 inches
Length 50 inches
Engine, nitro 50-60 size two stroke, 70-90 size four stroke
Motor, electric, similar size to an AXI 4120, HXT 50-55b watever if make if fly, the sky's the limit
Lipos 6S to 8S depending on the motor
Target watts, 900
Prop Size, whatever gets to 900 watts.
Target all up weight, including batteries, 9 lbs.

The VQ Hurricane does not come with retracts. The center wing section has cut outs and wheel wells for mechanical retracts, no modifican needed. Struts are a question, as the landing gear on this plane is very short. I have ordered Robart air up spring down retracts, however, I reserve the right to change retracts upon inspection of the Robarts.

This is not the first conversion of this plane, others have built, and converted the plane to electric. There also are other builds in progress. This thread is a joint participation thread, it is not reserved just for my build.

Pictures uploaded in the next post.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:07 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Pictures
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:16 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Comparison some other popular kits on the market. The first qestion is what about the build quality of the basic kit, is it like the less expensive BH Hobby People kits?

My quick observation revealed that it is not exactly like the BH kits, it's more like the more expensive VQ large plane kits, very well built The detail is fantastatic and all those small lettered things like "don't step" are printed in the covering. The covering is not nearly as shiny as the pictures indicate. The split flaps operate with bell cranks just like the large size VQ Warbirds. At first blush, the baby appears to be a bit heavier than the BH Hobby People P36 that I just did with A123 batteries.

Quick decisions:

No struts, but will use air up retracts. The reason for the no struts is because the gear on this plane is short and stubby. The VQ Shandin type oleos are really too much trouble. I say this based on experience with other VQ kits. I don't even think the oleos can be cut this short. Scissors will not fit in the existing wheel wells.

No A123 batteries, don't want the additional weight and there isn't that much room for (14) A123 batteries. (4) 3S lipo packs will fit just fine, wired for 6S2P, 4400 mah. total.

In my opinion this is a high quality .60 size kit and I got no discounts for saying this. Actually, I got no discounts for saying or doing anything, my agent is falling down on the job. LOL

Al
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Dec 11, 2007 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 06:53 PM
Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
My questions are, How does the covering handle out in the sun? The notch in the LE, Is it for LED machine guns?

Sam
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Dec 11, 2007, 07:21 PM
Find More Posts by Tommy D
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,074 Posts
Sam

I could be wrong, but I think it's for landing lights.

Al. great photos! Did Tomas have the gray/blue Sea Hurricane in stock?

Hope you have lts of luck with these birds!

Tommy D
Tommy D is offline Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Dec 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
No Tommy, Tomas didn't have one that's how I ended up with two. I found one in the Hobby People store down the street and had to buy it.

Cubano8,

Yes it's for landing lights. Just think, you could do one with LEDs and really make it look cool.

Al
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:07 PM
Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Joined Oct 2003
2,325 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Just think, you could do one with LEDs and really make it look cool.

Al
So Al, your suggesting I should get one of these Hurricanes? You know Al living in south FLA, people cringe when they hear that word.
CUBANO8 is offline Find More Posts by CUBANO8
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:23 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Cubano8,

Yes, perhaps we can change the name. However, I suspect that the purpose of the name is a threat to the enemy. "Mr. enemy, this hurricane is coming to you." Sam, is there any truth to the rumor that when you and Herm charge your A1123 batteries, all the lights in Miami go dim?

Progress:

The wing servos were installed in the Grey Hurricane
More pictures

If anyone is new to VQ airplanes they should know that VQ uses screws that utilize the JIS standard of screws. They look like Phillips head, but they are not. An ordinary Phillips head screw driver will strip the screw head of these screws, also the screwdriver may slip off the screw and poke a hole in the covering. Ask me how I know....I built several VQ airplanes, the first few had holes poked in the covering. JIS stands for Japanese Industrial Standard, a nice set of 4 screw drivers can be purchased from Central Hobbies for less than 20 bucks. I suggest you buy them ASAP. Good Christmas present from the wife to you.

http://centralhobbies.com/Tools/jis.html

Al
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Dec 12, 2007 at 12:01 AM.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:11 PM
Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,150 Posts
Show me the way man. I ordered batteries and the motor for mine today. Will she be flying by the weekend?

Mike
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:48 PM
Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, KY, Crestview Hills
Joined Dec 2000
7,176 Posts
Thanks Al for the photos.

bob
Robert Belluomini is online now Find More Posts by Robert Belluomini
Old Dec 12, 2007, 12:07 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Mike,

I'm going slow, pictures take 50% of the build time. In additon, I am making repairs to my P36, removed the mechanical gear and installed Robart air up spring down gear.

You will catch up to me in no time, post away and get those JIS screw drivers. On one of my VQ planes I actually replaced all the screws with Phillips head screws. That was, after I stripped more than half of the JIS screws.

ScaleBrad or Thunder1, I forgot who, modified a Phillips driver to work. It involves flattening the point on a small Phillips. I ruined three Phillips screw drivers trying this, eventually gave in and bought the JIS drivers.

Al
Old Dec 12, 2007, 03:58 AM
Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Commercial UAV Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,621 Posts
Ok, at this stage, yes, the covering is stunning, with a scale "satin" finish [bearing in mind these are replica's of aircraft currently on the UK display scene, nobody uses matt finishes for warbirds now], it handle's the sun ok, with slight "drooping" in extreme sunlight around the stringers, but it never, ever wrinkles which is impressive.

The leading edge has provision for LED's, holes are there behind the covering, simply remove, and the wires go neatly through the wing, out of the way of the retracts, and feed through a little "bracket" just behind the retract servo, very neat. I also added red/green nav lights to the tips of the wing, these need to be drilled out. When fitting the perspex covers, make sure they over-lap, and dry fit the centre ones....they are handed.

Retracts....hmmmm, air-retracts are the way to go, if you don't fancy spending, then Robart or similar, as Scalefan has pointed out, the OE ones are pretty horrible. To eliminate nose-overs [plague of all warbirds!], raise the rear retract mount using ply of around 2-3mm thickness, this will push the wheels forward just enough when in the down position to make all the difference, while not affecting the angle's too much in the retracted position.

While we are working on the centre section, the split flaps.....easy enough [2 x bell-cranks, 1 x servo], but they do require patience to set up, and be gentle, be carefull what you are yanking on!.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by rogerchr
United States, CA, Sky Valley
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
"These are the spars that attach the wings to the center section..."

Al
If you haven't glued the wing together yet cut a giant hole in the larger 'spar' too so they can both fail simultaneously.
rogerchr is offline Find More Posts by rogerchr
Old Dec 12, 2007, 08:41 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,315 Posts
Roger,

The small spar is just for aleignment, and the large spare does have a hole cut out. That part is inside the wing so the picture won't show it.

It should be noted that the wings on this plane are short stubby wings, the center section is pretty substantial. Just to give you an idea of the wing size, the wings on the Hurricane are the size of the wing tips that are removed from the B-25 for transport.

With a hard landing, I expect that the gear will break out and the wings will be unharmed. I don't see how any in-flight aerobatic will shear the spars.

Al
Old Dec 12, 2007, 09:05 AM
Find More Posts by rogerchr
United States, CA, Sky Valley
Joined Jul 2004
430 Posts
I guess you're right Al. I just hate to see them go nuts with the lazer and weaken important structural elements. Now what about this lazy bee power?
rogerchr is offline Find More Posts by rogerchr
Last edited by rogerchr; Dec 12, 2007 at 09:16 AM.