Old Mar 15, 2015, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,743 Posts
Discussion
Hiperbipe

Well I have my Bill Hemple project just about done. I am the 3rd owner and have always liked this plane. I have had the motor for about 5 years just waiting for something to come along. I'm using a CC 160 HV controller with 12s 5000 packs. A 29x10 carbon prop. It may be over propped a bit but I'll give this combo a shot. Dual receiver batteries of A123 batteries.

Just a little more soldering to do

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:50 PM
Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,743 Posts
I Flew the Hiperbipe today. All went good. I have to see if low timing will help with the batteries. They were warm after the flight. ESC CC 160 was warm but not hot and the motor was cool.

I ran it on 12s and a 29x10 carbon prop. Very good power and only flew at about 1/2 power. Nothing real wild just a few rolls and hammer heads.

It seems to like rudder. I'm glad I know how to use it. It likes to skid in the turns without it.

I may prop down some as it might be just a little big. As I said there was good power.

Jeff
Goinav8n is online now Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:22 AM
Find More Posts by David Hogue
Go Dawgs!!!!!!!
USA, NC, Clayton
Joined Feb 2001
5,957 Posts
Cool project Jeff!! Have always loved the hiperbipe. I remember Dave Blum saying his had some interesting quirks, but I cant remember what he said they were.
David Hogue is offline Find More Posts by David Hogue
Old Apr 14, 2015, 11:48 AM
Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Canada, ON, Owen Sound
Joined Oct 2008
3,135 Posts
Nice Bipe!! How about some detail on the power system? Motor/brand/kv? Whats the motor rated for (max amps)? What does the wattmeter say? You did test this for amp and voltage, right? Batterys/size/c ratings?
I would not change timing if the motor runs fine as set. Losing synch will destroy things promptly!
Whats warm to you, can you hold the battery in your hand comfortably? Same with Esc, it will not likely run cold, especially at reduced throttle setting (all that switching going on), nything under 120 degrees is fine. Most people can't hold anything hotter than 105 or so without feeling uncomfortable. Doug B
Doug Bartley is online now Find More Posts by Doug Bartley
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:08 PM
Find More Posts by SteveT.
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
30,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinav8n View Post
I Flew the Hiperbipe today. All went good. I have to see if low timing will help with the batteries. They were warm after the flight. ESC CC 160 was warm but not hot and the motor was cool.

I ran it on 12s and a 29x10 carbon prop. Very good power and only flew at about 1/2 power. Nothing real wild just a few rolls and hammer heads.

It seems to like rudder. I'm glad I know how to use it. It likes to skid in the turns without it.

I may prop down some as it might be just a little big. As I said there was good power.

Jeff
Lipo batteries that aren't getting warm aren't putting out any power. Warm yes, hot no....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...