Well, you can find the mounting holes w/o removing the covering
barracudahockey is online now Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:51 AM
Find More Posts by marksp
build, fly, crash...repeat
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Apr 2011
1,751 Posts
Yeah....thanks! On 3 of the holes, there are 2 layers of covering so it was a bit hard to find by "feeling", but was able to get it sorted.

I'm now trying to sort out how to run the servos without seeing the wires, then I'll sort CG.

Cheers
marksp is online now Find More Posts by marksp
Old Apr 13, 2015, 08:58 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,054 Posts
Yea, I was pressed for time so I didn't have time to paint the floats and hide the wires.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:29 AM
Find More Posts by tclaridge
Joined Nov 2005
2,166 Posts
Mark, I would be happy to see your solution for running and hiding the float servo wires (with a nice pic please).
tclaridge is offline Find More Posts by tclaridge
Last edited by tclaridge; Apr 13, 2015 at 10:35 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:07 AM
Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
4,054 Posts
Me too for that matter!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 07:31 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksp View Post
I'm now trying to sort out how to run the servos without seeing the wires...
To be clear, I haven't sorted this out yet. In fact, I'm still toying with the idea of putting AR400 receiver + battery in each float with a magnetic on/off switch. I'm thinking a relatively small battery would last an entire day if switched on only for the duration of the flight.

The challenge is the only receiver which supports multiple binding with the AR400 is the AR7010, which means I'd have to combine flap servos on a shared channel. I don't mind opening the servo hatch to charge the batteries and check/drain the floats after a day of flying. In fact, I understand it's advisable to regularly air out the floats.

Thoughts?
Last edited by marksp; Apr 13, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:35 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,751 Posts
Float braces???

Final step in the float setup has me completely stumped! None of the strut braces are the correct sizes! Here's what the manual (p. 46 step 12, 13, 14) as the brace lengths:

1. 13 3/8" (front/bottom - rear/top)
2. 12 1/2" (front/top - rear/bottom)
3. 9 3/4" (front cross)

The actual length required are:

1. 16"
2. 14 7/8"
3. 12 3/8"

The problem is the supplied braces are long enough to make work!

Given the strut mounting holes are in the correct locations on the fuselage and the floats, I can't figure out how I'm coming up short???

Anybody out there have any tips? Measurements of your setup? Hi-res pics?

Additionally, how in the world are the font cross braces mounted? The manual (p.47 setp 14) shows a brace that I don't have in my kit. Anybody know how to attached the front braces?

Cheers
Old May 01, 2015, 06:49 AM
Find More Posts by summitbill
Slipping the surly bonds...
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
207 Posts
Quote:
Final step in the float setup has me completely stumped! None of the strut braces are the correct sizes!

Mark,
I feel your pain, brother! Been there twice. Ordered two sets of float struts with the braces for the Beaver, and each time the braces were the wrong size. Called Horizon Hobby and had them measure them to see if they just shipped me the wrong ones. They confirmed that the ones shipped were not the lengths specified in the manual. What I ended up doing was using ones that were long enough to fit, and then for the one that was short (from back to front), I drilled a hole a little higher up on the front strut so that it would reach. On the front cross pieces, you just bend the metal retainer at about 90 degrees and work it out that way.

In the end, I scrapped them and went with turnbuckles and heavy nylon plastic coated wire. Below are some pictures of my new setup. The floats are from Seaplane Supply. My original H9 floats suffered a casualty. I was taking off and a crosswind grabbed me when I slowed down, the steerable water rudders went back down into the water and were turned from rudder input. They threw the plane into a pretty violent ground loop. Ended up with a broken wing and one of the floats ripped at the bottom edge. Decided then and there that I was going to redo things and have retractable water rudders. (This could be done with the H9 floats, too).

The turnbuckle and wire braces are so tight they sound like guitar strings when you pluck them. I'll try to find the links to where I bought them. The H9 braces need some thread locker on the nuts as they were always vibrating loose on my prior setup.

Hope this helps.
summitbill is online now Find More Posts by summitbill
Old May 01, 2015, 07:20 AM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
207 Posts
Marksp,

In case you're interested in the wire and turnbuckle mod, here is a link for the turnbuckles:

http://www.harbormodels.com/site08/turnbuckles2.htm

The wire was purchased from Amazon.com, but it is carried by lots of vendors. It is AFW 7x7 Surflon Micro Supreme wire (90 pound test). Also you will need a package of AFW crimpable leader sleeves. Use the #5 size.

The reason I went with Seaplane Supply foam floats was to eliminate the water that was seeping into the H9 floats. Just make sure to seal them up very well and check to see if you've taken on any water after each flight session.

Bill
Old May 01, 2015, 07:40 AM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
207 Posts
Marksp,
One final thought. Just read your prior posts where you were trying to solve the dilemma of having a receiver in each float to avoid servo wires. I went the simple route of just using servo wires and extensions. It's pretty easy to conceal them. Just get some silver 3M tape to cover them from the servo hatch to the strut. You'll hardly see it as it matches the float paint very well. Then, I used white electrical tape around the strut. If you look at the pics, it is the second strut from the front that where the wire runs up into the fuse. In my case, I was concealing both the water rudder servo wire and the one for the servo that retracts the water rudder.
Old May 01, 2015, 01:17 PM
Elizabethton, TN
Joined Jan 2003
207 Posts
Quote:
Anyone using waterproof servos in the floats?

Cheers
You can waterproof ANY servo by spraying it with a product called PlastiDip. It is just like a can of spray paint, but it sprays out a plastic coating. If you use 3 coats, it will make any servo waterproof. I purchased a can of it at Lowes. Tested it by running a servo in a glass of water, and it worked great. Still working!
Old May 01, 2015, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,751 Posts
Right on, thanks!

I'll call HH about the brace length issue. Thanks for sharing your experience as I was thinking perhaps I somehow incorrectly built the floats!

Using turnbuckles is a great alternative and I might end up doing just that!

With regards to servo wires, I've already completed the electronic setup using AR400 receiver, battery and magnetic switch in each float along with the the waterproof servo. All electronics were dipped in CorrosionX. Works great!

Cheers