SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:55 PM
Find More Posts by vartaz
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Karup
Joined Aug 2012
254 Posts
Discussion
Which are the best allround FPV Goggles?

Hey guys.
Im in the market for a FPV kit with goggles. Would most like a plug and play kit with Goggles built ind reciever, and a transmitter and a FPV camera. But could buy them individually if needed to. What are the best goggles for this? Have looked at the fatsharks (dominators and altitudesd) for the AIO - Hk sells these three. If someone has any of these and would share opinions this will be very appriciated :-).
Thank you.
vartaz is offline Find More Posts by vartaz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 04:42 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
6,767 Posts
Well that would take a direct comparison. Not many of us have used all the latest goggles. I have not tried any Fatshark other than the old base model, which kind of sucks. Then I moved to the AIO which are much better. but I hear the latest FS have even better image than FS.

Also depends what your eyes are like. I dislike wide FOV goggle screens, but others like them. I can't see the edges very well.

And finally, it depends what video transmitters you would like to use. The Fatshark Rx only work with ImmersionRC and airwave transmitters. The AIO works with Foxtech and all kinds of other nano, micro and higher power vTx, and I think the cost is cheaper for these vTx. That is a major reason I prefer my AIO. The headtracker works seamlessly with my AIO and 9x also.

but then I only use goggles half the time I fly - also use a big LED TV
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 08, 2013, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
but then I only use goggles half the time I fly - also use a big LED TV
WHAT??? I have to see that!!! You sit in your living room while the plane is flying? Or are you taking the TV out with you to the field?
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:27 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
16,790 Posts
Tested Headplay, Dominator and Cinemizer side by side. HP is the best optical, next Cinemizer.
If you wear optical glasses and a complicate formula, that can't be simulated by the FS lens set sold optionally, the FS are no way to be used with the optical glasses. The shaped rounded on a typical sized head don't let any space for optical glasses.
Headplay is discontinued though, and their drawbacks made me sell them after less than one hour usage.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:33 AM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,940 Posts
There are few with a built-in receiver. The FatSharks are ok for video quality but their receiver is garbage. The ones that In my opinion:

Video quality: EVG920
Color/Contrast quality: Vuzix 920 wrap
Best sun shade: FatShark Dominator

I use the EVG920's, personally. Cinemizers are really nice, but I can't justify the cost.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 11:42 AM
Find More Posts by Wrice4
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
I love my Fat Shark Attitudes, but thats just me.
Wrice4 is online now Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Jan 09, 2013, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
6,767 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPilot View Post
WHAT??? I have to see that!!! You sit in your living room while the plane is flying? Or are you taking the TV out with you to the field?
I keep it inside the hatch of my SUV, which keeps it shaded. Went with LED for the brightness and very low power consumption - LCD is cheaper but use more power. Many advantages to using the big TV: you can far more easily switch to LOS, you can look over to ensure the landing zone is clear, passengers can see everything clearly, use with any glasses, can switch pilots real easy, nicer for making changes in the OSD menus, no tether lines. Disadvantage - can only fly from side of the road or parking lot, and need a hatchback car to do it.

Cinemizers - that price is just insane. But if I start flying in mountains with treeless peaks where you need to hike in, I might go for them.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 09, 2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:05 PM
Find More Posts by billyd60
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
2,134 Posts
I use the headplays and they are good. BUT you have tweak them to get the just right, otherwise you'll hate them.

I wear glasses for astigmatism, so changing focus is useless I must wear my glasses to see well. They fit while wearing the headplays, but again, after much adjustment. Also I removed the visor that comes with the headplays and installed them in ski goggles. Much better.

But the picture is just ok. I think a tv is the best option, but it's alot more to lug around and you need shade.

I'd love to try the cinemizers, but I won't pay $700+ for what they give you. It's simply way over priced. If they get into the 300's I'll consider it. But I don't know if they'll work well with glasses. That is a must for me.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Jan 09, 2013, 02:53 PM
Find More Posts by Daemon
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
30,005 Posts
The EVG920's or goggles like them with the big soft rubber light shade like
these http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...o_Goggles.html can be worn over most glasses.
I have a pair I use for passengers. Their IPD is too wide for me and I prefer
the widest possible FoV of my FS Aviators.

There is no "best" FPV goggles. It's all personal preference and specific needs.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by Blueshy
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,789 Posts
I really like my Headplay and I got it when they were $99. Great picture.

The only thing I HATE about them is the "Liberator" unit. Man that thing sucks.

-Blues
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jan 09, 2013, 05:55 PM
Find More Posts by rcall
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
577 Posts
the ones you like most... it's a matter of taste...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Jan 09, 2013, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by fatshark
Shenzhen, China
Joined May 2007
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBCrazy View Post
There are few with a built-in receiver. The FatSharks are ok for video quality but their receiver is garbage. The ones that In my opinion:

Video quality: EVG920
Color/Contrast quality: Vuzix 920 wrap
Best sun shade: FatShark Dominator

I use the EVG920's, personally. Cinemizers are really nice, but I can't justify the cost.

-Alex
This is the 2nd time this week Alex has made a point to trash my receivers. Methinks he knows my new receivers rock! (Nexwaverf receivers have been shipping in all Fat Shark products for over 4 months now). This petty disinformation will soon be buried in an avalanche of awesome performance reports. Check some of the other threads, the reports are already coming in.

Fat Shark
fatshark is offline Find More Posts by fatshark
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:29 PM
Find More Posts by David22
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
19,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatshark View Post
This is the 2nd time this week Alex has made a point to trash my receivers. Methinks he knows my new receivers rock! (Nexwaverf receivers have been shipping in all Fat Shark products for over 4 months now). This petty disinformation will soon be buried in an avalanche of awesome performance reports. Check some of the other threads, the reports are already coming in.

Fat Shark
Vendors are biased and promote what they sell and make
To further their end goal which is to make more money

I recomend people take all vendors advice with grain of salt

The best advice is from people who have no affiliation with certain products
And tested themselves with experience

Lots of people also say that product is best just because they bought it and jump on bandwagon

I read lots of misinformation
With no facts to back them up

Be careful of vendors advice as they just have end reason to make money and give poor advice

Fat shark goggles are best for fpv as that is what they designed for

They are extreme hangar rash as well resistant
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Jan 09, 2013, 09:54 PM
Find More Posts by doonunder
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
663 Posts
Quote:

Fat Shark
Hi, how do I check if my Predator V2 has the Nexwaverf receiver?
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Jan 09, 2013, 10:56 PM
Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,940 Posts
Quote:

Fat Shark
Your in built receivers are terrible for outside interference because they have no RF shielding! Turn on a UHF radio anywhere near them and they scramble. They desperately need shielding. A simple isolated enclosure made out of aluminum would do (but copper would be the cat's meow ).

Granted I am not a fan of the Airwave module you use either as it gets overloaded really easily. Do this experiment: Take the Immersion 600 mW transmitter and place it 10 meters away on any channel. Then take your 100mW transmitter and place it anywhere you want and put the goggles on the channel with the 100mW transmitter. You will clearly see the 600mW video image as it overloads the receiver module despite the 100mW transmitter being a very strong signal. This is why 5.8GHz pilots cannot fly together on your 5.8GHz receivers. The receiver can't handle the crosstalk.

Mind you, if you have new receivers that are better, then that's different. I didn't know you had a new RX. Perhaps I'll have to see if I can pick one up and try it. I simply call it like I see it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy