New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2016, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by PilotDane
United States, NC, Roxboro
Joined Sep 2015
167 Posts
Question
Tx Programming for RES Glider

I am relatively new to soaring and have a Mystique RES on it's way. I have a black Spektrum DX-7 transmitter. My flying club is mostly powered planes (so there's nobody to ask) but I'd like to start out by setting my radio up like sailplane pilots tend to. Is there a switch that is commonly used to control the spoilers or a way that spoilers are most often programmed? I'd hate to progress further only to learn a year from now that I have my radio programmed in a non-standard manner and need to re-learn a new configuration.
PilotDane is offline Find More Posts by PilotDane
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2016, 11:00 AM
Find More Posts by LSF226
United States, WA, Shoreline
Joined May 2004
438 Posts
Good Question

I can tell you how I set it up, but I don't think there is a "standard". If there is, you'll find out about it here.

My spoilers are set up on the left stick, with down (toward you) is no spoiler and full up, spoiler fully deployed.

Landing I usually set the spoilers about 1/2 way and judge the model. If it sinks too fast, put the spoiler down. Not sinking enough, add spoiler.

Richard S
LSF226 is offline Find More Posts by LSF226
Old Apr 05, 2016, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by liftchaser
USA, FL, Milton
Joined Jul 2008
145 Posts
I have spoilers on the LH throttle stick, but the direction is reversed. Forward is spoilers closed, aft is open.

Why? Because I like to rest my thumb on the rudder stick when I fly a full house sailplane to add rudder inputs in a turn, and to be sure the flaps are up in all configurations except landing. It's more comfortable if the stick is on the forward stop while that's happening.

In my mind stick forward means speed (a holdover from power models) so flaps are up. To slow down lower the flaps by pulling the throttle stick back. Same logic with spoilers, although they work by spoiling lift, not slowing you down.

If you progress beyond RES into scale or F3X type molded sailplanes with advanced radio programming I think you'll find most pilots use the stick forward/flaps up/spoilers closed convention. It makes rudder inputs easier and more precise without worrying about whether the spoilers or flaps are accidentally deploying while you're turning in a thermal.

lc
liftchaser is offline Find More Posts by liftchaser
Old Apr 05, 2016, 04:59 PM
Find More Posts by RV Winkle
United States, KY, Bowling Green
Joined Aug 2013
477 Posts
It's not programming but you might field trip over to Down East Soaring Society. I think they are in the Wilson area which is about 2 hours from your neck of the woods. Might be worth the trip.

JC Watkins
RV Winkle is online now Find More Posts by RV Winkle
Old Apr 05, 2016, 05:08 PM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Seaford
Joined Sep 2008
3,909 Posts
Throttle stick down for closed and up for deployed on spoilers or flaps has worked for me for over 40 years. There is no right or wrong only what works for you. YMMV
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2016, 05:12 PM
Joined Sep 2015
167 Posts
I'm planning on making it to Joe Nall for a few days. I don't know if anyone will be soaring but I'm hoping I can bump into a few pilots to get some advice.
Old Apr 05, 2016, 05:50 PM
Find More Posts by Petem
If it flies - I want one!
Australia, VIC, Werribee
Joined Jul 2008
1,422 Posts
RES programming

You can set up a RES sailplane (I'm assuming with motor?) in either Acro or Sail menus. The limitation on model type in Sailplane is that there is no option for 'one aileron (rudder) two flap (spoiler).
I finished up using Acro on my large RES soarer, and it works perfectly, but involved some head-scratching.
Doing it again, I would go for Sail, and simply ignore the second Aileron channel (and avoid programming any differential or flap into the ailerons).
There was a useful discussion on Duworm's sailplane programming thread for the DX18 recently that might be helpful.
In broad terms, call your rudder Aileron, your spoilers Flaps. I set up three flight modes: Launch with motor active on throttle stick (many folks just use a switch); Cruise, with throttle stick inactive; Land, with spoilers on the throttle stick. I have a DX18, but the programming and even the files are transferrable.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is online now Find More Posts by Petem
Old Apr 05, 2016, 06:26 PM
Joined Sep 2015
167 Posts
Wow! I wasn't prepared for 50+ pages in Duworm's thread. I suppose luckily I will have limited need for fancy mixes or mode setups. A elevator trim position or motor/elevator mix for launch, trim position for cruise and then a mix with spoilers & elevator in landing mode
Old Apr 05, 2016, 09:00 PM
Find More Posts by skyhawk172n
Mississippi
Joined Jan 2007
22 Posts
Joe Nall

PilotDane,

Look for a big, red Sprinter van with MS. plates, and say hi! 3 of us will be camping, usually down by the 3D line. I actually spend more time at the main line, but better camping (before the new renovations, anyway) by the creek...whoops, river. Arrival Tuesday, departure Saturday.

We don't bring anything to fly, just relax and take it all in. And I'm not a highly experienced glider pilot, but have managed to pick up on a few things plane and heli related the last 33 years of this hobby. Not a lot of soaring activity in central MS! In fact, the ONLY soaring I
I'm familiar with goes on near Montgomery, AL 3.5 hours away at what I consider my "home" club. The field is reserved from sunup til noon Thursdays for the glider guys. But I do enjoy tossing my powered gliders when I can.

Looking forward to seeing anybody that shows up at the Nall.

Roy
skyhawk172n is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk172n
Old Apr 05, 2016, 09:34 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,852 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leadchucker View Post
Throttle stick down for closed and up for deployed on spoilers or flaps has worked for me for over 40 years. There is no right or wrong only what works for you. YMMV
I just set up my first glider with spoilers like this. works fine. L/S full down no spolier/ full up full spoiler. Nice part you can deploy them part way.
R/S rudder/ elevator. rudder hooked to alieron ch.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 05, 2016, 09:50 PM
Find More Posts by jswain
Gasbags & Gussets
Riverside, Ca
Joined Feb 2009
1,375 Posts
Check this out.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotDane View Post
I am relatively new to soaring and have a Mystique RES on it's way. I have a black Spektrum DX-7 transmitter. ..........
Hi,
check out this web link to a guy who does spektrum DX6~18 type TX programming. You may or may not like paying but time is valuable and this looks to be the next best value to having an expert directly help you out - it's step by step.

best wishes, john s.
jswain is offline Find More Posts by jswain
Old Apr 06, 2016, 08:33 AM
Find More Posts by Windependence
The King Moonracer of balsa.
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
3,138 Posts
I read somewhere that Sherman Knight was putting together sailplane programming guides for the DX line of transmitters. His guide for the JR9303 became the gold standard for that transmitter so I would expect his new guides will be equally well received.The link above takes you to the new programming guides he is creating. You should be able to find everything you need there.

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
Old Apr 06, 2016, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by hogflyer
Master of the Figure "9"
Wichita, Kansas
Joined Dec 2005
1,898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dankar04 View Post
I just set up my first glider with spoilers like this. works fine. L/S full down no spolier/ full up full spoiler. Nice part you can deploy them part way.
R/S rudder/ elevator. rudder hooked to alieron ch.
I set up my spoilers just opposite. I fly primarily power so I put them on the throttle stick. Throttle stick down (low throttle) for fully deployed spoiler and throttle stick up (full throttle) for retracted, or no spoiler. The reason being when you pull power back you descend, stick forward you fly level/climb. So spoilers out you come down a lot faster just like reducing power.

Hogflyer
hogflyer is offline Find More Posts by hogflyer