Old Mar 19, 2016, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by OR53
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Question
Hyper AVA Pro E power consumtion

Hi,
Im looking at using a Hyper Ava Pro e to convert it to a solar glider. Now my question is how many watts does this plane need to stay in the air?
Thanks,
OR53
OR53 is offline Find More Posts by OR53
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2016, 04:27 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,500 Posts
Will need a lot after conversion, will ruin the airfoil if cells placed outside

I would approach it differently, you can get for a lot less the Hyper 2.7, in an uncovered state, directly from the UKR builder
Then mount the cells inside wing, and cover the upper side with a transparent not reflective cover
Hyper Me is assumed fly better than Ava, according to some inside intel

Regarding your initial question, today average cells can deliver about 1W per sq dm, so 50W for 50 sq dm, for a total 70 sq dm wing, you can't place cells in every corner.
50W is enough if calm weather, imo, for level cruise, even for slow for climbing, means 4.5A for 3s pack, plenty of power for such platform.
renatoa is offline Find More Posts by renatoa
Old Mar 20, 2016, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by OR53
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Thanks for the reply
Thats a good idea but the cells i was planing to use are 12.5cm x 12.5cm so they would only fit on top of the spars.
But could you give me a link for the site of the builder in UKR I cant seen to find anything
Another question:
The cell I plan to use(http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32312376130.html) are 0.16 mm thick so if i would add just one row of them on the trailing edge of the wing on the ouside would that realy affect the airfoil?
OR53
Old Mar 20, 2016, 09:38 AM
Lou
Find More Posts by Lou
Lou
Joined Dec 2005
7,684 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR53 View Post
Thanks for the reply
Thats a good idea but the cells i was planing to use are 12.5cm x 12.5cm so they would only fit on top of the spars.
But could you give me a link for the site of the builder in UKR I cant seen to find anything
Another question:
The cell I plan to use(http://m.aliexpress.com/item-desc/32312376130.html) are 0.16 mm thick so if i would add just one row of them on the trailing edge of the wing on the ouside would that realy affect the airfoil?
OR53
The link did not work for me but my security may be blocking it. Anyway, adding that cell to the trailing edge will affect the airfoil; that is not where you want to put the cell.

As Renatoa mentioned you are better to get a wing that is uncovered; you can mount the cells along the spar or wherever it works for balance and then cover the wing with clear covering. I have a Hyper 2.7me and it is a nice plane and well made. If you can get one with an uncovered wing that would be a good way to go.

Just to be clear on this; are you removing the motor from the AVA E and flying it as a pure glider with the servos/receiver powered by cells?

If you are removing the motor and going as glider only you may want to ask Neil at Hyperflight to see if he can get you a Circle Dancer or Hyper 2.7 with an uncovered wing. If this is your first project you may want to start with a smaller plane like the Marabu and build up your skill level.

http://www.hyperflight.co.uk/product...26+F3J+Gliders

Neat project to be doing so please post pictures as you go along.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 20, 2016, 11:08 AM
Find More Posts by OR53
Switzerland
Joined Feb 2014
6 Posts
Ok, thats to bad thought it would work with a normal covered wing. No I am planing to have a glider with motor. The motor will be powered if it will be enough just through solar and otherwise with a combo of batteries.
So I will defenetly get in contact with Neil and ask him about getting an uncovered version of an electric glider. Then I will mount the solar cells on top of the ribs staring just behind the spar. Then cover the whole thing in a clear cover.
Once I have most of the parts together I will most certainly open a new thread about the build.
Last edited by OR53; Mar 20, 2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 02:13 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,500 Posts
Forget this approach, did the same with 3x3" = 7.6 cm side square, check picture in my attachments, and they broke very soon, after some not hard landings.
The naked cells are extremely fragile, yes 0.2mm thick, but guess what is 0.2mm... glass !
The closest thing you can use to imagine are Christmas globes glass, but flat, thus much more fragile than a globe whose shape is ideal for strength (think to an egg )
They become even more fragile when you solder them, you should think to a mounting method solderless, if possible.
Later I found that laminating cells in clear film increase the strength a lot, and you can place the connection wires under the laminating film, ensuring the contact only by film pressure.
What would be my approach today to build again such wing: 2x6" cells, and a wing designed to accommodate these cells in the rib space between spar and TE.
So you must have ribs spaced at 2", which is a normal distance for such wing, where ribs are at 4-6cm.
Also, 6" from spar to TE means a chord of about 22 cm, which is normal for a 3m glider, having chord range between 21 and 25 cm.
No idea if an existing wing will match so closely these dimensions, that's why I think a custom built wing is the way to go for such project.
Custom wing is also required because inside the wing you should have two additional spars, recessed inside the wing, to serve as cells support, spars that are not provided in a normal wing design.
Assuming you find an existing wing having exactly the inter-rib space to accommodate a 2x6 cell, you should build some kind of frames or quoins, glued to ribs and spars, to support the cells, because the spars I wrote above are missing.

3x6 cells are out of discussion, 7.6cm between ribs is too much to ensure a good structural integrity for such wing size and load.
Also, you don't want few big cells, you want many cells, at least 24 cells, to make 12V.
24 cells at 5cm means 120 cm of cells on wing central panel, but the panel itself will be bigger, you need some spacing for the ribs and end/central sheeting.
Using 3x6 cells in such space will led you to 16 cells only = 8V, not a good input voltage for most lipo chargers
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:11 AM
Find More Posts by old1104
Joined Nov 2013
555 Posts
The answer as to will .16mm affect the airfoil is not much. One could add masking tape to simulate the solar cell to check if the difference can be seen in flight. I had trouble with the covering under a spoiler on a RES change and not allow the spoiler close. It was up more than .16mm and I could not tell the difference between before and after I fixed the step. Now that was a rear facing step. I have added thin strip of masking tape to trip the boundary layer and it improved the performance.

Just a thought

If you were to use 2 inch solar cells then I would get an old Super AVA-E RES glider. Remover the spoiler. Extend the spoiler to the rest of the center section. Then build a mount for the 2 inch solar cell that is stiff and mount the solar cell the match the airfoil ... a flat surface. No performance lost and can be stiff or use a flexible mounting. Could even be used as a large spoiler.

Should able to pick up a ready to fly Super AVA-E for less than a new glider and it would be set up receiver ready. I can tell you my old Super AVA-E climb at 45 degree with 300 watts.

Art
old1104 is offline Find More Posts by old1104
Old Mar 30, 2016, 02:23 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,500 Posts
one square decimeter of current general public available solar cells delivers one watt
So the spoilers will deliver... compute yourself, not even a level flight.