New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by helidan_wales
United Kingdom, Wales, Milford Haven
Joined May 2014
61 Posts
Discussion
First EDF, Can't Decide!!

Hi all, I've got a big urge to buy an EDF but can't quite decide which one to start with.

I've been considering the HK Sonic 64 wing and also the Durafly Vampire, I know they're quite different but is there anything specific about one of them that might make it a better choice for an EDF newbie?

Hope someone can help me choose!

Many thanks.
helidan_wales is offline Find More Posts by helidan_wales
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:29 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,771 Posts
I notice many of your previous post are on boats, so the first question is can you fly an RC plane and fly well ?,

if not, then an EDF is quite probably something to look forward to as the third or fourth model.
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:35 PM
Find More Posts by helidan_wales
United Kingdom, Wales, Milford Haven
Joined May 2014
61 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
I notice many of your previous post are on boats, so the first question is can you fly an RC plane and fly well ?,

if not, then an EDF is quite probably something to look forward to as the third or fourth model.
Fair question, yes I can fly planes (got an rc factory Edge 540t) and owned a few before that one. Also got a Trex 550DFC. I consider myself an average flyer.
helidan_wales is offline Find More Posts by helidan_wales
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:44 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
My first EDF I just got last week. It is the new HobbyKing Tornado 75 jet. I have really enjoyed it so far.
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Old Sep 17, 2015, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by eflightray
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
16,771 Posts
Best to ask

Here's a good place to look --

http://www.rcgroups.com/aircraft-electric-jets-375/
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Sep 17, 2015, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by Justapoke
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
2,660 Posts
Get the Durafly Vampire, you'll love it and it's a good first EDF plane as it glides forever even with trottle of. Would not bother with that Sonic wing.

If you don't mind to spend a few extra bucks install a ChangeSun fan witheither 10,12 or 14blades.

The Vampire likes some weight up front, so you have long flight times on either a 3300 4S on a light setup up to a 4000mAh on a heavy 14-blade setup.

It's also easy to hand-launch.

Durafly Vampire Part 2 (11 min 9 sec)
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Last edited by Justapoke; Sep 17, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 01:24 PM
Find More Posts by restlessswind
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,411 Posts
http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...-70mm-edf.html
Keep it simple and cheap...
70mm 4s EDF's are much better than the 64mm for getting started...This is a clone of the old Parkzone Habu with retracts for $129
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Sep 17, 2015, 04:36 PM
Find More Posts by Rampage
DFS#000178
United States, CA, Twentynine Palms
Joined Aug 2005
6,645 Posts
Freewing's 4S F-22 is a perfect first EDF.

1) No retracts. Keeps it simple.

2) It floats. It's low-speed handling is exceptionally good.

3) It uses 4S 2200s. And they're dirt cheap.

4) The electronics are reliable. I've got hundreds of flights on mine and I'm still using the stock fan, motor, ESC and servos.

5) It's cheap. $150 PNP.

6) It's hands down the most scale F-22 on the market.

The Freewing 64mm F-22 is amazing. It was my first EDF and I'm still blown away by how easy it is to fly, how stable it is, but at the same time how fast it is even on cheap 4S 2200s. You get all the jet-like performance in a package that is extremely well-behaved when things get slow. You even get the awesome jet "woosh" sound.
Rampage is online now Find More Posts by Rampage
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,988 Posts
This is a terrible first EDF, haha Sorry but it really is. It's one of those planes if you fly it like a 3D plane or are too aggressive with it, it's going down. I had one, and when I go it everybody warned me against it for good reason. When balanced it's a great plane but isn't a good first plane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Freewing's 4S F-22 is a perfect first EDF.

1) No retracts. Keeps it simple.

2) It floats. It's low-speed handling is exceptionally good.

3) It uses 4S 2200s. And they're dirt cheap.

4) The electronics are reliable. I've got hundreds of flights on mine and I'm still using the stock fan, motor, ESC and servos.

5) It's cheap. $150 PNP.

6) It's hands down the most scale F-22 on the market.

The Freewing 64mm F-22 is amazing. It was my first EDF and I'm still blown away by how easy it is to fly, how stable it is, but at the same time how fast it is even on cheap 4S 2200s. You get all the jet-like performance in a package that is extremely well-behaved when things get slow. You even get the awesome jet "woosh" sound.
MaydayMayday is online now Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Sep 17, 2015, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
United States, CA, Fremont
Joined Jul 2011
1,988 Posts
Get something small, cheap, and has actual wings on it. the bigger the plane the harder it will be to take off or launch and the harder and more distance is needed to land.

My first one was a Bananahobby Viper Jet.
Uses 1000-1300mah 3s and 800mah 4s.
- easy to launch
- SUPER easy to fly
- under $100

The Dynam Meteor somebody mentioned above is a good trainer from what I've been told. Launch easy for their size. I have seen one fly and it looked pretty docile.

I've knocked the nose off twice from botched take offs and just glue it back on and go fly. (launching with too much throttle, second time threw it too hard and caught the tail on take off)

I'm not saying the Viper Jet is the *best* just an option, like mentioned above.

But to my point about the F22, much like any wardbirds there are easy ones to fly and difficult ones. The short wide stubby wings don't recover well in a stall which means you have to maintain a higher speed even in your turns.

Just my $0.02

P.S. you can also make one! they're easy using foam board. I haven't made one yet but I know I should!
MaydayMayday is online now Find More Posts by MaydayMayday
Old Sep 17, 2015, 06:08 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,645 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaydayMayday View Post
This is a terrible first EDF, haha Sorry but it really is. It's one of those planes if you fly it like a 3D plane or are too aggressive with it, it's going down. I had one, and when I go it everybody warned me against it for good reason. When balanced it's a great plane but isn't a good first plane.
You couldn't be more wrong. You must be talking about a different airplane because the thread for the aircraft has been glowing with how good it is.

"It's going down"? What? And 3D? Who flies 3D with an EDF jet? If you fly 3D with any EDF you're going to run into issues unless the jet has TVC which no "good first EDF" has...

"But to my point about the F22, much like any wardbirds there are easy ones to fly and difficult ones. The short wide stubby wings don't recover well in a stall which means you have to maintain a higher speed even in your turns. "

The entire fuselage is lifting surface...The whole airplane is lifting surface...

I've can float my Freewing F-22 around at high AOAs with very little throttle at very low airspeeds and it's perfectly controllable. It's also easier to land than most of my slow high-wing planes. It just floats right in.

Freewing F-22 Raptor (3 min 7 sec)

Like I said, you couldn't be more wrong. You may have had someone else's F-22 but this one's fantastic.

Freewing F-22 Raptor EDF jet pnp 4s (8 min 18 sec)

Note some of the slow power-off passes.

This plane has no bad tendencies at all. It's a sweetheart.
Last edited by Rampage; Sep 17, 2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 06:21 PM
Find More Posts by solentlife
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
14,655 Posts
Phase 3 F16 ..... everyone and his dog recc'ds those

Hobby King 64mm T45

Mini 50mm T45

Personally I have 50mm ... 64mm .... and 70mm EDF's and the 64mm are the best all -rounders.

The 70mm's ? SUCK BIG TIME !!

The little 50mm T45 is just a real beaut of a flyer .... stock gear and a 1300 - 1500 3S LiPo ... its a pure bird. Forget the 800 3S factory says ... Stock gear will even take a small 4S pack ...

But for anyone venturing into EDF ... the 64mm T45 is just about the best forgiving and looking bird there is. Extremely tolerant of CoG ... easily swapped for more power ... glides well ..... and price is very friendly.

My 2c's anyway ...

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Sep 17, 2015, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined Oct 2013
3,756 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Phase 3 F16 ..... everyone and his dog recc'ds those

Hobby King 64mm T45

Mini 50mm T45

Personally I have 50mm ... 64mm .... and 70mm EDF's and the 64mm are the best all -rounders.

The 70mm's ? SUCK BIG TIME !!

The little 50mm T45 is just a real beaut of a flyer .... stock gear and a 1300 - 1500 3S LiPo ... its a pure bird. Forget the 800 3S factory says ... Stock gear will even take a small 4S pack ...

But for anyone venturing into EDF ... the 64mm T45 is just about the best forgiving and looking bird there is. Extremely tolerant of CoG ... easily swapped for more power ... glides well ..... and price is very friendly.

My 2c's anyway ...

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

I have only ever flown a 75mm EDF so I have no comparison. What is it about the 70mm EDFs that is not good in your opinion? Thanks
DaddyBigas is offline Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
Old Sep 17, 2015, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by Justapoke
The Netherlands
Joined Jun 2012
2,660 Posts
What's wrong with 70mm fans? The bigger the better.

And realy.. types like a F-16 or F-22 as trainer ???

Of all the mentioned jets I still think the Vampire is one of the best because of it's huge wing and wingloading. Easyer to see as well, not the fastest but it sure is also the best sounding of them all!
Justapoke is offline Find More Posts by Justapoke
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 07:38 PM
DFS#000178
Joined Aug 2005
6,645 Posts
An F-22 makes a good first EDF because of it's shoulder-mounted wing and enormous lifting surface. The entire airplane is generating lift. F-16s and F-22s are stupidly easy to fly because they're very lightly loaded for the amount of lift they generate.

Look at 2:53 of Motion's video, how it just floats on by with very little power.