SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 07, 2007, 08:59 AM
Registered User
Joined Oct 2006
11 Posts
Discussion
Best Scale TD ship

I am interested in getting a 3m or less scale ship for thermal duration. Can anyone make a recommendation?


Thanks,
maddog1 is offline Find More Posts by maddog1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2007, 12:18 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
TFLG's Avatar
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,225 Posts
Small scale ships aren't known for thier stellar thermalling abilities. Go bigger if you can. I had a HF models 3.7M DG-1000 that thermalled quite well. Not like a 60oz full house TD ship mind you but pretty well compared to most of my other scale planes.

Some of the lighter "stick built" Vintage stuff floats quite well from what I've seen.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
Last edited by TFLG; Jan 07, 2007 at 07:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:28 PM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
I second TFLG's recco. Even with a Hacker motor up front and a 4 cell 4.3 amp lipo pack the DG-1000 is still a great flyer. Was at the field today, temps in the mid 40s, got a 22+ minute flight on 26 seconds of motor run. Could have thermaled much longer but had to come down as I couldn't keep my finger warm.

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2007, 05:36 PM
Registered User
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,774 Posts
Better stick to true T.D. ships, scale fly nice but winching them is more complicated (not very high winch launches), plus lawn darting scale can be downright painful.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 07, 2007, 06:03 PM
Scale Nerd!
Wight's Avatar
Ireland
Joined Jul 2002
234 Posts
I'm assuming you mean fly from "flat field" as oppossed to TD competition???

If you want something scale, less than 3m and capable of lfying form flat field you can forget all the modern gliders. Something like Tom Martin's 1/4 scale Schweizer SGS1-26 would be a reasonable bet. (exaclty 3m span) You're looking a a built-up kit for any of these models. Roedell do a 3.2m ASK-21 and Ka6 which might work.

Better to go up to 3.75m tho. A 1/4 scale Flair Ka8 will work a treat from the flat....
Wight is offline Find More Posts by Wight
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2007, 03:15 PM
Registered User
Thiells,N.Y
Joined Jan 2002
427 Posts
Prior to adding a motor to my 3.7mtr. Dg1000, I winched it off the ground. Got similar height as unlimited class models less some of the zoom, but thermalled very nicely, even specking out from lower altitudes. Turned out to be a much better TD machine with 6 oz more weight added by motorizing it . At 8-9lb the model flys on step which it wouldn't do before. Have mine for about 6years now, and still love it!

Richard
rbehrends is offline Find More Posts by rbehrends
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 08, 2007, 11:22 PM
Registered User
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Joined Feb 2004
479 Posts
Best "TD" Scale Ship - bigger is better...

I agree with the gentlemen above -> with regards to HF DG1000/DG505 - best bank for the buck and a good flier for the cash.

I would go for the DG 1000. If you want to have more fun, put a motor in it...

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog1
I am interested in getting a 3m or less scale ship for thermal duration. Can anyone make a recommendation?


Thanks,
Commplexxo is offline Find More Posts by Commplexxo
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
Registered User
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2002
34 Posts
I had no idea. I thank you for setting me straight. I just figured a scale ship would fly as well as a Bubble Dancer.
mdrossno1 is offline Find More Posts by mdrossno1
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:09 PM
daveosoar
hampshire
Joined Mar 2006
607 Posts
If you want to thermal a scale glider @ 1/4 scale is the way to go. My Salto @ 22oz will stay up all day. The Pik20 (18oz) is even better - but you have to get them up there!In the UK our light thermals demand a slope launch or aerotow to achieve this.
Dave.
daveosoar is offline Find More Posts by daveosoar
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:02 AM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
Phoebusflyer's Avatar
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Flair Ka-8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wight
I'm assuming you mean fly from "flat field" as oppossed to TD competition???

If you want something scale, less than 3m and capable of lfying form flat field you can forget all the modern gliders. Something like Tom Martin's 1/4 scale Schweizer SGS1-26 would be a reasonable bet. (exaclty 3m span) You're looking a a built-up kit for any of these models. Roedell do a 3.2m ASK-21 and Ka6 which might work.

Better to go up to 3.75m tho. A 1/4 scale Flair Ka8 will work a treat from the flat....
I have a Flair kit that I have owned for several years. I have been reluctant to build it because of where I live and fly. For you folks in the UK, how do you like the Ka-8? I have read many good things about it, but would like to hear from some folks that have flown it a lot and may have a different opinion. Also, does Flair still kit the Ka-8?
Thanks,
Phoebusflyer
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 01:37 PM
MTT
I care about rising air !
MTT's Avatar
West Chester, Ohio
Joined Feb 2002
2,012 Posts
@phoebusflyer :
Not sure, if I should answer here, since I'm not in the UK....
I'm a german living in Cincinnati, OH.

About the Flair Ka-8 :
All the good things you read and heard about it, are true, and then some...
Although there is a lot of building to do on it, it is all very straightforward, the kit comes with excellent instructions which include many illustrations, and your building efforts will be rewarded with a very nice scale sailplane, which thermals really well !

I have built two of them, and even imported them here to the US for a while.
Here you can find some pictures from the building : Flair Ka8 build
And yes, Flair is still making it, here the link to their website : http://www.flairmodels.co.uk/

AFAIK, the only remaining Flair dealer in the US is Dave at www.radicalrc.com .
MTT is offline Find More Posts by MTT
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:35 PM
Full Scale Better! UOHHHH!
Phoebusflyer's Avatar
United States, TX, Lytle
Joined Dec 2006
396 Posts
Guten Abend und Gracias, for the info. I am REALLY looking forward to building my KA-8. Again, Thanks
Phoebusflyer is offline Find More Posts by Phoebusflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:12 PM
Alpine Soaring in Wyoming
Jackson WY
Joined Oct 2002
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commplexxo
I agree with the gentlemen above -> with regards to HF DG1000/DG505 - best bank for the buck and a good flier for the cash.

I would go for the DG 1000. If you want to have more fun, put a motor in it...
Martin
Martin,
I have followed your interesting articles and reviews about motorizing scale ships. All this convinced me to go that route and get me probably a DG 1000. Now there are two sources if I'm right, HF and LET. Do you have a preferrence or recommend one over the other? Quality / price??
Also, what kind of a power system would be appropriate? I fly in and around Jackson WY anywhere from 6000 to 8000 feet, pretty thin air around here.
Thanks in advance for your info.

Erich
erichj is offline Find More Posts by erichj
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 01:34 AM
Registered User
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Don't mean to jump into Martin's space but because I have both the LET and HF DG-1000 models, thought I'd offer my 2 cents. The only thing similar with both models is the name DG-1000. The LET ship is much larger (5+ Meters), is significantly higher quality, much heavier and includes a fully detailed cockpit. It's only available fully molded.

The HF model at around 3.7 meters comes either fully molded or with sheeted foam wings. It is much less expensive and weighs much less. It's very good quality and value for the price. You could power it with a motor and folding prop up front or a moderatly expensive up and go system. It would be a sin to lobe off the nose of the LET model. An up and go system for a model this size is big bucks.

As a rough cut guesstimate, the LET model with up and go will run about $5K plus radio gear. An HF DG-1000 with motor up front will come in around $1.5K plus radio.

If you are not a very experienced scale flyer, the HF model is your best choic IMHO. If money is no object, you might want the LET.

Good luck,

Steve
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 07:14 PM
Alpine Soaring in Wyoming
Jackson WY
Joined Oct 2002
119 Posts
Dg 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Don't mean to jump into Martin's space but because I have both the LET and HF DG-1000 models, thought I'd offer my 2 cents. The only thing similar with both models is the name DG-1000. The LET ship is much larger (5+ Meters), is significantly higher quality, much heavier and includes a fully detailed cockpit. It's only available fully molded.

The HF model at around 3.7 meters comes either fully molded or with sheeted foam wings. It is much less expensive and weighs much less. It's very good quality and value for the price. You could power it with a motor and folding prop up front or a moderatly expensive up and go system. It would be a sin to lobe off the nose of the LET model. An up and go system for a model this size is big bucks.

As a rough cut guesstimate, the LET model with up and go will run about $5K plus radio gear. An HF DG-1000 with motor up front will come in around $1.5K plus radio.

If you are not a very experienced scale flyer, the HF model is your best choic IMHO. If money is no object, you might want the LET.

Good luck,

Steve
Steve,
your comment above is much appreciated, thanks very much. Looks like I will probably go with the HF model, since money is definately an issue here. The WS of the HF DG is also more managable and I have no problem doing a "Nose job".

So Long

Erich
erichj is offline Find More Posts by erichj
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best scale twin ARF - Partenavia? Peter Young Parkflyers 2 Sep 17, 2002 05:12 PM
How to cut ailerions & best scale hinges? GiantScale Foamies (Kits) 7 Mar 05, 2002 10:20 AM
Best Scale to Measure Static Prop Thrust? Dave Hederich Power Systems 9 Nov 29, 2001 01:06 PM
best scale indoor kits stuart warne Parkflyers 0 Nov 09, 2001 07:46 PM
votes for best full house ship dezflyer Electric Plane Talk 0 Oct 30, 2001 03:16 PM