HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 30, 2014, 06:13 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Build Log
La Recouvrance (1:40 Topsail Schooner)

Hi All,

Lately I've been looking into sailing boat models and I've finally decided I want to build one. While I do have a bit of experience with rc models, I have absolutely no experience with boats (let alone sailing boats) and I've never scratch built anything.
So this is going be quite the learning experience.
It's also going to be quite slow, I am afraid, as at the moment I am quite busy, but I'll try to work on it as much as I can.

After that preamble it's time to get to the fun stuff.

The model I want to build is La Recouvrance, a French topsail schooner built in 1990 based on the Iris. Being the first model I've choosen a small scale, 1:40 (so the hull will be 62.5 cm long).

I am not set on creating a perfect replica (maybe should have posted in Sailboats instead of Scale Sailboats) so I'll make a few deviations from the original. Besides leaving the propeller out (obviously) I was thinking about adding a drop keel and making the rudder and possibly the rigging slightly bigger.
Reason for this is that scale displacement is only 2.3 kg, with just 8 cm draft and 26 dm2 of sails, so I am afraid the sails may not be enough for low wind and the stability not enough for strong wind.

I've decided to build it in Depron. I've seen a few projects made with it and seems interesting enough.

At the moment I've ordered the Depron online (not available at the local shop) so while I am waiting I've found the plans and printed them (still have to put together the pages created by the Adobe Reader poster print, though).
I'll trace the false keel and then I'll just have to wait for my Depron.
Hopefully I'll get it before the weekend.

I haven't decided if I want the masts wooden or in carbon fiber.. decisions decisions..

So.. that's all for now.. thanks for reading and any suggestion is more than welcome!
RcTonyx is online now Find More Posts by RcTonyx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2014, 07:28 AM
Joined Aug 2013
156 Posts
Great project!
Gammon Iron is offline Find More Posts by Gammon Iron
Old Oct 30, 2014, 08:36 AM
Douce france cher pays de
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2007
322 Posts
Nice project, I got the chance to sail on it in the mid 90 I will look forward to your build.
Le petit normand is offline Find More Posts by Le petit normand
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:03 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,685 Posts
A scale model isn't necessarily a perfect replica, nor does it have to be.

Take a look into these logs, I think they're right up your alley...

Meatbomber's Sommers
Brooks Tops'l Schooner Pond sailer

Both models are large in sail, small in hull, and about the size you plan to build.

You can also look into my Pride of Baltimore and Qwerty's Byzantium build logs. These boats are twice the size you plan, but you may find something of use.

Welcome to the tops'l schooner club
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Oct 30, 2014, 03:33 PM
Post Captian
United States, CA, El Mirage
Joined Sep 2013
132 Posts
Having a topsail schooner of my own in the works I will definitely be following this build. About the mast, I think that wood is the best for this type of build as it would be rather difficult to achieve a scale appearance with carbon fiber.

Lextin.
qwerty_2008 is offline Find More Posts by qwerty_2008
Old Oct 30, 2014, 09:04 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Just popped in to see what you are undertaking. That ship is cool! You might be able to do the depron thing with a multi mast / large hull. When you first asked me about using foam board / depron for a sailboat I thought you were talking about the typical pond sailers. This is a totally different animal. I will be watching to see you progress. Very cool project. BTW you will need to add some ballast to get her to sit in the water properly and not fall over from being top heavy.

A suggestion I offer is to have an electric power assist built in for the calm days and those times the wind just stops. Looking forward to this one.

circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas to all!
Old Oct 31, 2014, 05:45 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Thanks everyone for the interest.
Haven't gotten my Depron yet so probably no progresses this weekend.

I'll tour the local hardware stores to see if I can find appropriate wooden dowels.
Old Nov 03, 2014, 05:08 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
I'm still waiting for my Depron, but in the meantime I've visited the local hardware store to find wooden dowels for the masts.
They only thing I managed to find, in the right size, was Obeche.
Is it suitable?
Or what should I look for? Balsa?

I've also got two small planks. I thought I could put a small wooden plank per side to strengthen the Depron.
The only wood I found cut in small enough planks was Ayous. Suitable?

Thanks!

Edit: Lol.. just noticed Ayous and Obeche are the same wood.. wonder why the shop calls them with 2 different names.. Anyway the question stands.. is it a suitable wood for my purposes?
Old Nov 03, 2014, 08:50 AM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,685 Posts
Pardon my American impudence of referring to imperial measurements...

Pine!

Find a board with straight grain. A 6 foot board that's referred to as a 1 x 6 is really 3/4" thick by 5-1/2" wide. White pine is readily available and makes good spars. Hardwoods are heavy and warp terribly in such uses. A board this size should supply you with all your spars plus some wood for other things.

If your masts will be more than 3/4" in diameter at the deck, you can glue it up in full-length quarters (laminated) which will get you the size you need and strengthen it a bit. Once it's set up, taper it square, mark it and plane it 8-sided; knock the corners off where it's not going to stay 8-sided, and make it 16 sided-ish, then plane it and sand it round. At this scale, it's actually quite easy work. In spar making the most important tools are a small sharp block plane and your eyes.

I actually made my masts hollow using the "Bird's Mouth" method which begins around #128 in my Pride of Baltimore thread. This isn't for the faint of heart at this scale. You have to be fairly accurate to get what you want in the end, but it was an interesting experiment.

Further along you can find where I made the other spars, which are made from white pine in the usual way.
Last edited by JerryTodd; Nov 05, 2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 11:56 AM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Thanks for the pine suggestion. I'll look into it.

Will I need to coat it with something before putting it on the boat?
Old Nov 05, 2014, 12:41 PM
SCALE Sailor
Joined Apr 2008
1,685 Posts
Mine are painted and stained. You can put a finish on them if you like, even oil them - what works on big boats usually works on little ones. Spray-on clear coat's ok too - just make sure it's compatible with any paint it may come into contact with - there's been issues with Krylon paints and clear coats especially. I'd go for a satin finish rather than gloss.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:20 AM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,170 Posts
Anything new happening here? I have a real interest in this one.
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Merry Christmas to all!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2014
15 Posts
Hi all!

The project is moving slowly (damn work) but it is moving.

Haven't posted yet as most of my time has been spent on the plans. This is my first boat project so making sense of the plans is not obvious. Also the plans I found had one view with the masts but not the sections, one with the sections but not the masts, and one with the... hum.. not sure.. little aft protuberance under the bowsprit. So I had to overlap all those plans to make the template for my keel.
Maybe I should have started with something simpler.. but I am learning a lot so I am happy with it.

In the end, I managed to get the keel template, pin it to the Depron (I also managed to lose a pin. Not sure how I did it since they have those brightly coloured heads, but I did. I am sure I'll find it pinned to my skin sooner or later) and cut it.

Definitively not the best cut but it's a start. I have to cut the bulkheads now. Hopefully I'll manage in a few days.

I am not sure I am supposed to use all the bulkheads I have left cuts for in the keel.

Well.. it's a learning experience anyway!