HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:50 AM
United States, CA, Milpitas
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Rave
Hooray for Banana Hobby!

You gotta be kidding me. I ordered my viper jet on Thursday and got it on Monday even before my credit card charge went through. People talk about free shipping they sent it second day delivery free. Not only that, the points I earned with the purchase were enough to get a free battery monitor. I recently bought a plane from another place and asked for a coupon code (if I filled my cart up once more). We are talking a 1k+ sale I figured they could throw me a bone -maybe 10% off- a little token. They said "yeah dude whatever- wait for a sale" banana hobby takes care of its regulars even if "regular" means first time customer.
Habanero is offline Find More Posts by Habanero
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 21, 2014, 03:58 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hello Habanero!

Thank you for your kind words and support! If you have any questions about your new Viper, let me know!

-Alex
BHCSR ALEX is offline Find More Posts by BHCSR ALEX
Old Aug 21, 2014, 05:31 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHCSR ALEX View Post
Hello Habanero!

Thank you for your kind words and support! If you have any questions about your new Viper, let me know!

-Alex
Yeah i got only one question- haven't opened the box what kind of connector does the speed controller have? ( for the battery ) it's the taft arf thanks.
Last edited by Habanero; Aug 21, 2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hey Habanero!

The 90mm Viper uses an EC5 connector for the stock 80A ESC.

-Alex
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Hey Habanero!

The 90mm Viper uses an EC5 connector for the stock 80A ESC.

-Alex
Ok leads to another question will I do ok with a 4000mah instead of the recommended 5? I'm no speed demon I just want to know if I can still set my timer for three minutes if all I'm doing is farting around and a landing - this is my first edf and I don't plan on leaning on the throttle.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:30 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hello Habanero,

I suggest using a 6S 5000mAh battery to be able to achieve proper CG and get the desired flight times. I use a 6S 5000mAh 65C battery and depending on my throttle management, I can safely obtain about 3 minutes of flight, but for the initial flights I recommend thinking about landing at the 2 minute mark. I'll be honest, I did have a bit of a hard time landing the 90mm Viper at first because it kept flying! I was expecting for it to fall like a rock, but it held up pretty well and had me doing a couple circuits before I could safely bring it down and land. Although the 90mm Viper is inherently stable and smooth, I would suggest flying with an inexpensive model as your first EDF. Since you said it was your first EDF jet, perhaps you can consider our smaller 50mm Viper which is great for practice to get you started. You can find it at: http://www.bananahobby.com/3-ch-blit...f-jet-arf.html.

All the best,
Alex
Old Aug 23, 2014, 03:04 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
Hello Habanero,

I suggest using a 6S 5000mAh battery to be able to achieve proper CG and get the desired flight times. I use a 6S 5000mAh 65C battery and depending on my throttle management, I can safely obtain about 3 minutes of flight, but for the initial flights I recommend thinking about landing at the 2 minute mark. I'll be honest, I did have a bit of a hard time landing the 90mm Viper at first because it kept flying! I was expecting for it to fall like a rock, but it held up pretty well and had me doing a couple circuits before I could safely bring it down and land. Although the 90mm Viper is inherently stable and smooth, I would suggest flying with an inexpensive model as your first EDF. Since you said it was your first EDF jet, perhaps you can consider our smaller 50mm Viper which is great for practice to get you started. You can find it at: http://www.bananahobby.com/3-ch-blit...f-jet-arf.html.

All the best,
Alex
Ok thanks I will invest in a 5000mah. I have been practicing on a sim - but will consider the mini edf too - thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 10:41 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Very nice. The wiring instructions leave a lot to be desired (the picture did not match the circuit board in there) but the actual assembly was easy -no glue- just a few screws. The first time I cycled the gear one main got caught outside the (inner) door and so all i knew to do was unscrew it and pull it off before something burned up. I went to take off the other door and somehow broke it oh well I can live with this- everything else seems to work.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hey Habanero!

That Viper is looking good, it's actually my favorite color scheme out of all of them! I think it's probably because it looks identical to the real deal. Which other door from the pilot's point of view?

-Alex
Old Aug 25, 2014, 02:07 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Yes Alex almost all my models are replicas of something or other - I like scale appearance and I think that all-too fake looking pilots actually detract from this - also this plane is a refreshing change from 90% of all the other edf's out there that are military-themed. What broke was part of the assembly of the left door. Like I said I can live with it -no big deal- but speaking of the paint the downside to this one is hangar rash (and the white underneath which gets exposed ) is there a paint touch-up kit ? Might be tricky to match this copper color on my own. Thanks.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 01:00 AM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Quote:
>>Although the 90mm Viper is inherently stable and smooth, I would suggest flying with an inexpensive model as your first EDF. Since you said it was your first EDF jet, perhaps you can consider our smaller 50mm Viper which is great for practice to get you started.<<
-Alex
Challenge accepted Alex! No guts no glory I love it -sounds so sweet going by and I never even got above 75% throttle. Landing could have been smoother I ran off the end of the runway but no permanent damage -can't wait to get more batteries and more flights in.
Old Sep 02, 2014, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hey Habanero!

I'm very glad to hear about your flight, was the maiden flight during that Friday? I had the same thoughts about the sound, and also the same landing experience! I came in too fast for one of my landings so I ate up a lot of runaway and went into the grass but the landing gears stood up. I'm super happy to hear about your experience and I appreciate the info you shared about it! A paint touch-up kit is not available and I have not searched for a match yet. However, several pilots have told me about how they've gone to hardware stores like Lowes where they took a sample of the surface and had one of the representatives there match the paint. If you go with this route, I suggest testing the paint first on a small piece of foam belonging to the 90mm Viper.

-Alex
Old Sep 03, 2014, 12:18 AM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Last edited by Habanero; Sep 08, 2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2014, 02:10 PM
Joined Jul 2008
920 Posts
Small tap screws for wing bolts? BAD IDEA!

I have to take this plane apart to fit in my hatchback. Upon doing this twice I discovered one of the tap screws has already stripped. It won't come out now the wing is permanently on there.

I can go to a slightly larger screw, as a temporary fix only of course. Not sure why they did not use bolts like everyone else.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 01:37 PM
Joined Mar 2014
134 Posts
Hey Habanero!

I apologize for the troubles with the stripped screw, were you able to remove it? In the past I have removed stripped crosshead screws by using the pozidriv-style head for better grip, but a flathead can also help. Please let me know, I am more than glad to help!

All the best,
Alex