HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2014, 10:45 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Discussion
frsky vario with 8XR, DJT , 9XR and FLD 02

Is there any one out there who knows how to get audio feedback from a high precision frsky vario using an 8XR reciever, a Turnigy 9XR and frsky fld 02 display.

Please keep it plain english. I know I might be mistaken but I still think it's possible to have this happen without recourse to a soldering iron. Anyone out there?
truths111 is offline Find More Posts by truths111
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2014, 12:39 AM
Bad command or file name
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Jan 2013
388 Posts
Are you receiving telemetry from the vario now and just need the tones?
Imageek2 is online now Find More Posts by Imageek2
Old May 09, 2014, 03:16 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,409 Posts
You didn't specified if the Frsky module telemetry is connected to Turnigy radio, but I guess it isn't if you specified the FLD-02 display as part of the setup.

X8R receiver works with XJT module which don't work with FLD-02 display, so you can't do this, sorry.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Old May 09, 2014, 04:10 AM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
388 Posts
The X8R can bind in D8 Mode to a DJT in a Turnigy 9XR, I know because I've done it, and it receives telemetry just fine through the FLD-02 display. As you can see in the quote below the Smart Port works in D8 mode, so there is no reason this should not work.

"But that isn't all the X8R can do. It can also work in "D8 Mode to work with the DHT, DJT, DFT and DHT-U transmitter modules. In this mode you have 8 channels. The neat trick is the Smart Port still works in D8 Mode!"
Old May 09, 2014, 04:19 AM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,409 Posts
There is no evidence he has a DJT or XJT, so must wait for his input.

Second, and more important... never heard of someone really using it with a FLD-02 on XJT and saying what worked to set alarms.
And for an acoustic vario, to have an alarm on AD2 is mandatory ! This is the great missing of X8R.

So far, what is known as working is the vario connected to a D8R and using a DJT on the radio. If he is lucky and has DJT on 9XR, than a D8R receiver will do the job.
Old May 09, 2014, 12:20 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Hi renatoa, I have the DJT.
Old May 09, 2014, 12:24 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
I am recieving altitude and signal information. I get bleeps of two types when the reciever gets less than 40 and 45 % signal. I don't know how to get tones from the vario.
Last edited by truths111; May 09, 2014 at 12:28 PM. Reason: adding information
Old May 09, 2014, 12:25 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
I am using the smart port connection from sensor to receiver. There are two ports on the Vario that I don't understand. These are called data out and data in. On the 8XR, there are pins called rssi and sbus.

I am bound in D_ mode to the DJT.
Last edited by truths111; May 09, 2014 at 05:06 PM. Reason: more information
Old May 10, 2014, 11:52 AM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Yes Imagegeek2, thats exactly it. I'm getting the fld to display altitude, but I don't know the next step to get tones. On the fld there's a table with four spaces for data. The top left hand one seems to be the voltage that the receiver is getting. The other places could be where data from other sensors is displayed. At the moment there is nothing in any of the other places.

My guess is that there's another way to work with different connections, or maybe an update is needed for the DJT or vario. Thanks, by the way for answering my call for help!
Last edited by truths111; May 10, 2014 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarity
Old May 10, 2014, 01:06 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Another thing....the frsky folks say there are updates for receivers, modules and the fld02. HOW is this done. I know it has something to do with a link from my computer to the device. If any one at FRSKY is reading this they should know that there's one person out here who is starting to get a persecution complex! I can't be the only one mystified by the lack of information. People like Renatoa and Imagegeek2 are working unpaid to try to help your customers. You at FRSKY should surely acknowledge them. Something isn't right here!
Old May 10, 2014, 01:15 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
15,409 Posts
OK, you must get a D8R receiver instead X8R for this job.

Connect brown wire to ADC2 of D8R, as here:

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...ng_the_FVAS-02

then program a tune 3 for alarm A2_1 or A2_2, having as condition ">" and value 129-130, try the exact value for best sensitivity. After doing this will hear beeps when raising.

I am not using a tone for sinking, it's possible, but I prefer to have tunes 1 and 2 available for RSSI and battery.

Would be more versatile if you make the complete telemetry integration of DJT into 9XR, and flash a Frsky telemetry enabled OpenTx, but is a bit of hard core surgery, not match with original post request to keep things simple.
Old May 10, 2014, 01:39 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Thank you very much for your help, renatoa. I'll get the different receiver. I've already done a quick guide to open tx and the 9XR. Its on the hobbyking files section for the 9XR. Following this journey of discovery, I think I'll write one for the FRSKY vario. The link above is great. Someone has done a great job of explaining all the Frsky stuff. Any tips for soldering in tight places anyone?
Last edited by truths111; May 10, 2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: more to write
Old Jun 01, 2014, 12:44 PM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
it works! I get those magic bleeps when the glider rises. If there's any lift around I can stay aloft for lots of time on very little battery. Bleeps can be a bit annoying though so I'm fitting a switch soon then I'll turn it off during launch and when I've found lift. Let you know how that works out later.
Old Jun 02, 2014, 12:45 AM
Bad command or file name
Joined Jan 2013
388 Posts
Congrats! The thing that annoyed me the most was that the beeps from the DJT were way too loud. I solved that problem by packing some foam over and around the speaker in the DJT. Once I got it right it probably cut the sound 70 or 80 percent. Much better now.

Tom
Old Jun 08, 2014, 10:42 AM
Canada, BC, Chilliwack
Joined Jul 2010
26 Posts
Nice one Tom. The switch between the receiver and the vario works very well. I've got a 9XR pro coming. Annoying bleeps plus audio voice alarms. My club compardrees will love it!