HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2013, 04:57 PM
Hackettstown, New Jersey
Joined Feb 2008
737 Posts
Think its time to run away from this deal. if your friend took them to a hobby store and they said the motors look fine.. first red flag.. very few motors don't look fine. It the inside that counts. I doubt your friend has any idea how to run or maintain these trucks which would lead me to believe that they are broken, abused or just junk at this point. There are very simple precedures to keep a nitro engine working fine after storage. I have a couple that I haven't used in years and I can guarantee they will start right up after a couple of seconds. Fuel lines have to be replaced anyway.. Gummy motors can be a simple fix or a problem if fuel was left in them. It will rust the internals and especially the bearings. On these motors you might be better off dropping the price to $200 or so then using the extra money to buy a couple of Traxxas motors on ebay for around $100 each new.. They are easy to find.

The other day I had a friend who ownes a pawn shop had me look at a used Kyosho Super10 on road car. the owner wanted $150 which isn't a bad deal for the car as its kind of rare, had all the upgrades and a spare motor. I was called to look at the car and give my opinion which I have done for him many times before. The car was super clean, but.... Oil residue in front of the motor at the bearing. No way to start the motor on the car as he had it set for bump start.. the spare motor (original) is worthless as a motor but great for restoration had no compression at all. Upon close inspection I found the bent connection rod in the original box. He claimed the motor was fine.LOL, but forgot to hide the evidence. I told my friend to offer him $50 and no more. I have the car at my house and will try and get it started with the OS motor, but I'm not holding my breath it will run well.. My point is, most if not all nitro vehicles should be assumed the motors are bad. Personally, I won't offer anything for a used r/c counting the motor or engine. Just from experience they are usually bad or going bad. Not always especially on these sites, but from local sellers who just don't know or care enough to learn how to run them properly.
cenracer1 is offline Find More Posts by cenracer1
Last edited by cenracer1; Apr 25, 2013 at 05:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2013, 01:52 PM
Joined Apr 2013
19 Posts
I wouldnt go more then $350 anything more and you could but a brand new nitro RC. From the pictures they look like there good condition older model though like someone said but nothing wrong with that. Nitro is alot to learn though and theres alot more to them then there is electric. But if your up for the challenge id say go for it.
rcKhana28 is offline Find More Posts by rcKhana28