SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:05 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
2,017 Posts
Discussion
female pilot out there?

We finally have a female pilot joined our RC club 2 weeks ago,and she is now able to fly trainer and quad independently
guys here are excited and valunteered to train her since she handed on the Tx
so....RC planes are not toys only for the folks like us but also for the ladies young and old
why not show us lady pilots if you happened to have one in your club
cheers
Sam
8137653332_26a2429b6e_b
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,022 Posts
Nice, doesn,t look like she needs any help.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:09 AM
United States, PA, Pittsburgh
Joined Oct 2011
110 Posts
Looks like a dangerous place to fly.
dmccalmon is offline Find More Posts by dmccalmon
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
United States, CA, Oakland
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now,
And the last will be first.
Dangerous? A nice wide runway and looks to be hundreds of acres of nothing but scrub. That looks good to me. Sure the runway seems to be a little used access road. But with a spotter or two I'd fly there any day.
On the op's question. I don't have pix but we have three women localy who fly models. One only flys slope. But they're all three transgender women. So maybe for your purposes they don't quite count? I dunno.
RobII
elfwreck is offline Find More Posts by elfwreck
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,171 Posts
Here you go. We've actually had quite a few older ones over the yrs.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
tmw
Joined Feb 2012
1 Posts
Female pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwei1950 View Post
We finally have a female pilot joined our RC club 2 weeks ago,and she is now able to fly trainer and quad independently
guys here are excited and valunteered to train her since she handed on the Tx
so....RC planes are not toys only for the folks like us but also for the ladies young and old
why not show us lady pilots if you happened to have one in your club
cheers
Sam
8137653332_26a2429b6e_b
Hello Sam
The female pilot will encourge others.
So,in the following weeks we may expect that the pilots at Chain-Dai will increase.
cheers
tmw
tmw is offline Find More Posts by tmw
Old Oct 30, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
This thread isn't creepy at all... not one bit.

btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 11:15 AM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,227 Posts
Lots of girls and women have the same attitudes toward model planes, etc, as boys have toward "girl stuff". Guys will usually bend over backwards to help females get started in this hobby if they show sincere interest at all.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
this is just plain creepy now.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Oct 30, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Hey now, ok so what makes this thread creepy?
Even more than role playing games like dungeons and dragons women are scar e in model aviation. As a kid competing in ukie contests there were only two girls involved. And they were only into it because dad was big time into it and he forced it as a family thing.
So it is kind of a big deal when women get involved and worth noting.
So again; I'd like to know what makes it creepy?
RobII
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Sep 2012
382 Posts
It's creepy because you make it such a big deal. So what if a girl wants to fly rc? why is this noteworthy? why do we need to share pics on the internet? It comes off as creepy and desperate. She's there to fly, not be mooned over by every guy in the club.
btown2 is offline Find More Posts by btown2
Old Oct 30, 2012, 02:42 PM
Dude, get me some ice cream!
United States, MA, Amherst
Joined Apr 2012
797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Lots of girls and women have the same attitudes toward model planes, etc, as boys have toward "girl stuff". Guys will usually bend over backwards to help females get started in this hobby if they show sincere interest at all.
Yea...not working with my GF shes already busted over my ember 2 twice
Felt_ripper 23 is offline Find More Posts by Felt_ripper 23
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Joined Dec 2002
2,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by btown2 View Post
It's creepy because you make it such a big deal. So what if a girl wants to fly rc? why is this noteworthy? why do we need to share pics on the internet? It comes off as creepy and desperate. She's there to fly, not be mooned over by every guy in the club.
Hey now,
(sigh) you just don't get it do you?
It *is* a big deal. Some girls have always wanted to fly model airplanes, not many, but some. Society dictates that toy airplanes are "boy" toys and not something nice or propper girls would do traditionally. It's noteworthy because these women have broken free of societaly imposed gender roles to explore an activity normally considered to be outside of their reality.its further noteworthy that these men are willing to give up some of their privilage and let her into "their" normally make only world. This is equal to women being allowed into the English gentlemens clubs of the Bictorian era.
So we have women strong enough to explore outside of normal gender roles and two we have men who are willing to give up some of their male privilege and allow her to join in with the rest of the guys.
From a feminist standpoint this is a very big deal. One that needs to be noted, lauded, and encouraged. As to your sexualising the situation, I see none of that. Just pleasure in the further breaking down of those old gender stereotypes. Nobody has done anything improper here. There's been no wolf whistles. No coments about how they enjoy her mind, and love how her sweater fits her mind.
Sure. On the surface this is a minor thing. A woman joins in a silly hobby. So what? But in reality, on a deeper level this is another major breakthrough in gender realations. Yet another step closer to equality. Not equal pay, or the right to proper womens healthcare or the tight to control their own bodies. But hey. This is a good thing and helps further the notion that all genders (and colour and whatever else) are at core equal and deserve to be treated as such.
Hmmm. I seem to slipped and stumbled on top of this here soap box thing. Sorry, I got a bit carried away. But um. Only a bit.
RobII (that creepy dude who's happy some women are getting nvolved)
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,094 Posts
My wife has been flying with me since 1959. In fact as we speak, we are loading the truck and the RV for a 3 day fly-in in Midland TX. She has as many planes as I do, and still does most of the maiden flights on her planes. She is 71, and still going at it after 53 years. NO, I do not twist her arm to fly. She flies when she feels like it. Waiting on good Wx. to maiden her new 3DX by "Leadfeather".
ps: She is also a General class amateur radio operator(KC5EGP)
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,843 Posts
My 18 year old twin daughters have been flying for about 8 years now. They are able to fly just about anything and have been flying Quads as of late. The one daughter flys and enjoys it but the other has an obsession for it. She flys ALL the time and loves to 3D.

Here is a video of Heather flying the Ligeti Stratos last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=vRJXTSX2RHY#!

Jim
eliworm is offline Find More Posts by eliworm
Last edited by eliworm; Oct 30, 2012 at 05:03 PM.