HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2012, 07:42 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
764 Posts
Discussion
Formation flying, share your videos!

I decided to change the title of the thread and hopefully have others post their own videos of formation flying at their RC clubs. This is some of the most fun we've had and it would be great to see what others are doing, videos, pictures, discuss tips, etc.

I'll edit this first post to include pointers to posted videos later in the thread if there's enough interest.

Oregon Blue Angels, 5 F-18s

Sunny Day Blues (2 min 26 sec)

Airfield 64mm Blue Angels Formation x5 (3 min 46 sec)

Six F-18s + crash!
Blue Angel 6x (3 min 31 sec)

Russian team, L-39 FPV formation!

Star Sky (6 min 52 sec)

Two F-86s, camera on-board

F-86 Remote Camera (3 min 19 sec)

Two F-22s

Dual F-22's Part One (7 min 16 sec)

Two F-18s

Close Flying RC F/A-18 Blue Angels (4 min 37 sec)

Single model, attached planes

The Amazing Aerobatic Team! ZOMG!!1 (1 min 11 sec)

This was the original thread, flying 5 Blue Angels with some friends at our RC club.

Blue Angels - Formation flying, 64mm F-18s x 5!

Here we are with some friends at our field flying the Airfield Blue Angels, 64mm EDFs from Nitroplanes. We've been flying together for a little while but this was the first time we had 5 at a time. It's tricky to stay together but we have a blast trying, looks like a hornet's nest sometimes!

The pictures are from Mike Swaja who kindly agreed to let me post them up. The video is coming from a #16 keychain camera taped to my cap . Just thought it might be fun to share, enjoy!

Blue Angels X 5!! (3 min 51 sec)
Castel101 is offline Find More Posts by Castel101
Last edited by Castel101; Jul 11, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2012, 08:00 PM
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
1,414 Posts
Neat! Looks like good fun. Great that you have the people who want to try these things -- and no mid-airs !! (at least not that time!!)
killickb is offline Find More Posts by killickb
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:20 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
Wow that was fun to watch and no collisions. Thanks for the video.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:21 PM
Aviator
Bellevue, WA
Joined Dec 2007
765 Posts
What field do you fly at in Portland? I get down to Portland for work all the time.
velyter is offline Find More Posts by velyter
Old Apr 09, 2012, 11:53 PM
JOHN 3:16
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
6,600 Posts
That was GREAT!!

Thanks for sharing that!

Are all those flying with the stock setups?
Sammy70 is offline Find More Posts by Sammy70
Old Apr 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Dang! I should have stayed longer. Looks like you had a blast! Nice vid and pics, too!
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb
Old Apr 10, 2012, 12:42 PM
Joined Sep 2011
764 Posts
Thanks for the comments! It's always fun to fly together, definitely the highlight to my trips to the field. Flying with these guys is always a blast!

We fly at Fly-A-Ways RC club, near North Plains, OR on weekend afternoons. We have gotten in midair collisions a few times! There's so much going on that it's bound to happen. Most of our planes have battle scars , but they can take a beating and we fix them and they come back wanting for more. Best bang for the buck!

That second to last picture was actually me, trying to land. It was VERY windy and my touch down was less than stellar. A gush of wind happened to blow at that instant so it bounced 6 feet in the air and veered right towards the pilot stations. It's the second time "it" has tried to kill Lance . He ducked and my plane crashed in the pits area upside down, right after the picture was taken. His plane also crashed in the pits area at the same moment, same reason (wind! definitely not pilot error ). I broke a missile and a wing, easily fixable with epoxy in 10 minutes. We were all laughing like crazy after that, what a day.

And yep, we are all flying bone stock setups except for me (plane being followed in the video). Everyone uses GensAce 1550mah 3S batteries but I only had 2200mah available. I have rudders too which made mine a little heavier due to the extra servos X 2 and the bigger battery, so I upgraded to the DonsRC setup, AF fan with 4800kv Wicked motor and ESC. With this setup it is now the fastest and sounds great.

Here's another picture that I posted a while ago, we were flying 4.

Last edited by Castel101; Apr 10, 2012 at 12:49 PM.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 03:06 PM
Hurst, Texas USA
Joined Jan 2002
708 Posts
Super cool video Castel !

One thing about the Gen's Ace 1550 packs, according to the specs on Hobbypartz, they are the same weight as the 1800 packs. I'm not sure why they would do that, but with the 1800s you'll get extra run time for the same weight.

Cheers !
RPatrick is offline Find More Posts by RPatrick
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2011
764 Posts
Cool! That's good to know, didn't know they weigh the same. Strangely enough I found out that the 55C 2200mah 3S GensAce is very very light, lighter than lower C rated 2200 GensAce, hmmm...
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Fairborn, OH
Joined Nov 2009
544 Posts
That was way cool. Now be honest - how many times did you lose track of which plane you were flying? :-)
alexandermh is offline Find More Posts by alexandermh
Old Apr 11, 2012, 02:36 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,161 Posts
How the heck do you tell which one is yours??!?!?

I think i would tie on some different colored streamers to tell them apart and make it look like smoke. Might also slow them down a little so you can get together easier.

Very cool though. We have tried to do some formation flying at my field and it usually is a mess
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Last edited by SGTalon; Jul 13, 2012 at 08:12 AM.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
great video thanks for sharing that. You guys flew very well together
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Apr 11, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, TN, Jackson
Joined Mar 2007
4,022 Posts
Thanks for sharing!!!...Looks to be a blast...Nice to have many in your club into jets!!!...Keep the vids coming!!!

Kevin
Kevin Greene is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Greene
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
I want to fly everything!
Hillsboro, OR, USA
Joined Mar 2004
962 Posts
Thanks for posting the vids, bud.

Keeping track of your plane is not a problem until you have a mid-air. Then it's a fifty-fifty chance of picking the right one. I didn't pick the right one once. The result was pretty comical.

After a while, flying one's planes can get a little boring, but this never is! This is the best money I think I've ever spent in this hobby. Our faces were sore from grinning and laughing so much that day. It's way more than a blast. It's way more fun than you can imagine. I'm hooked on it.

Every club needs a group of angels so we can have a competition for best formation flying.

Now all we need are six angels in the air!

I gotta go and glue my nose back on for this weekend's action.
Lance Nordby is offline Find More Posts by Lance Nordby
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:59 PM
Wilsonville, OR
Joined Jun 2010
562 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Nordby View Post
Thanks for posting the vids, bud.

Keeping track of your plane is not a problem until you have a mid-air. Then it's a fifty-fifty chance of picking the right one. I didn't pick the right one once. The result was pretty comical.

After a while, flying one's planes can get a little boring, but this never is! This is the best money I think I've ever spent in this hobby. Our faces were sore from grinning and laughing so much that day. It's way more than a blast. It's way more fun than you can imagine. I'm hooked on it.

Every club needs a group of angels so we can have a competition for best formation flying.

Now all we need are six angels in the air!

I gotta go and glue my nose back on for this weekend's action.
I tried to become the 6th Angel, honest I did! But they are sold out! They only have the anniversary edition F-18 and the grey/black/yellow (not jolly rogers) :-(
Wisdumb is offline Find More Posts by Wisdumb