HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:48 PM
Uruguay, Montevideo Department, Montevideo
Joined Aug 2011
117 Posts
Discussion
What to do on the sim?

Hey, following the advice of many here, I got aerofly pro deluxe and a 6 ch controller to get some training. But my doubt is what to do on the sim, should I learn to hover? to stay still in one place?
TiraULTI is offline Find More Posts by TiraULTI
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 07:17 PM
It's not 3D am just new
United States, KS, Junction City
Joined Mar 2010
226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiraULTI View Post
Hey, following the advice of many here, I got aerofly pro deluxe and a 6 ch controller to get some training. But my doubt is what to do on the sim, should I learn to hover? to stay still in one place?
Yes and yes. Learning to hover is first to include knowing the controls. Learn to hold it in one position as long as you can. Always try to beat that time. It it drifts away in any direction, practice bringing it back in front of you.
dwight2k is offline Find More Posts by dwight2k
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:12 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Learn to hover tail in, then learn to hover nose in, then learn to hover with the helicopter facing to the side (both directions). Once you're comfortable hovering in all orientations and transitioning from one to another, you can try flying forward and slow figure 8's.
S9coldfire is offline Find More Posts by S9coldfire
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:36 AM
Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Tanjong Bungah
Joined Mar 2011
622 Posts
i am a beginner
i think the post important is to get the orientation right
sam1741 is offline Find More Posts by sam1741
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:11 AM
Team Daedalus
Joined Jun 2008
1,233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1741 View Post
i am a beginner
i think the post important is to get the orientation right
First have some fun with it. Take off, fly around do crazy, opposite movements with the sticks. Crash at will, do it again.

Once you see, what full throttle, left rudder and down elevator can do. Practice pulling it out and flying straight and level. Do this for awhile.

It's not a game. Hopefully you find a model that kinda goes where you want it.

Then it's time to fly disciplined. Pop up, hover, then fly in a box or circle keep it close to you.

Now take off tail in hover, right rudder (remember you are following the nose) and fly past you. Turn it around, bring it back and land.

Keep doing that. Tell yourself I'm going to fly out to that tree, turn come back and land

Make it go where you want it to go. Don't just keep it from crashing.

Land often. Rinse, repeat. Mix it up. Set flight path ahead of time and stick to it.

Have fun get used to the sticks. Then make yourself fly it like you were in it.

Enjoy, have fun, challenge yourself to fly disciplined. Pick a model that agrees with you. You'll be giving somebody else advice. It takes quality practice.

Todd
Wolveslayr is offline Find More Posts by Wolveslayr
Old Oct 10, 2011, 01:15 PM
United Kingdom, England, Witham
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
For the first few times me and the kids found it most amusing to see who could have the most spectacular crash.

Both boys (11) are now flying quite well one with planks and the other with FP heli

The kids think sims should have the crashes linked to a parts database with pricing. So each crash comes up with the cost of repairs lol
Essex2visuvesi is offline Find More Posts by Essex2visuvesi
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:39 PM
Addict of Everything
Perth, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
The kids think sims should have the crashes linked to a parts database with pricing. So each crash comes up with the cost of repairs lol
Greatest idea ever. If this was implemented it would be immensely satisfying trying to minimise crash damage....
yogibbear is offline Find More Posts by yogibbear
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:04 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex2visuvesi View Post
RealFlight has that - open the console and type the command "showmethemoney" and when you crash, there will be dollar amounts flying through the air attached to each broken part. It keeps track of how much money each model has "saved" you - it is fairly inaccurate, but fun. I think it keeps track of this regardless, but doesn't show you the data till you enter the code.

Learning to fly on a simulator does need to involve some playing around - we do this stuff to have fun, and simulator flying should be no different. But don't go completely crazy to where you aren't learning anything.

One of these days I'll finish this series...
Helicopter Flight Training Lesson 1 (9 min 51 sec)
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:20 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
RealFlight has that - open the console and type the command "showmethemoney" and when you crash, there will be dollar amounts flying through the air attached to each broken part. It keeps track of how much money each model has "saved" you - it is fairly inaccurate, but fun. I think it keeps track of this regardless, but doesn't show you the data till you enter the code.
What do you mean by "open the console"? How do you access the console?
Old Oct 11, 2011, 04:21 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S9coldfire View Post
What do you mean by "open the console"? How do you access the console?
I think it's the ~ key. I gave my RF to my kid so I can't check for sure. There's a bunch of command-line options you can use in there.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 03:46 AM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Wonder if its available as a "hidden" in Phoenix as well
Old Oct 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I am not aware of any easter eggs in Phoenix - there's some silly stuff in the scenery but no functional codes that I know of. Would be great to know if there are some. There are a bunch of games in Phoenix that nobody seems to play - they are fun to play online, like the laser battle and the balloon pop.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 01:06 PM
Joined Feb 2011
899 Posts
Quote:
I am not aware of any easter eggs in Phoenix - there's some silly stuff in the scenery but no functional codes that I know of. Would be great to know if there are some. There are a bunch of games in Phoenix that nobody seems to play - they are fun to play online, like the laser battle and the balloon pop.
Laser tag is great fun.... Another forum I'm a menber of play that one with helicopters

I haven't won yet

Maybe we should put together an RCG laser tag battle royal
Old Oct 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
Quote:
I think it's the ~ key. I gave my RF to my kid so I can't check for sure. There's a bunch of command-line options you can use in there.
I'll have to check that out tonight. Thanks Jas.
Old Oct 13, 2011, 12:24 AM
Littleton, CO
Joined Nov 2009
411 Posts
That worked! It says that I've saved an estimated $47,000 already! It's a good thing I have the sim, I guess!