SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2014, 11:12 AM
Balsa just crashes better
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
601 Posts
maiden pics

Here are three pictures of the maiden taken by a friend. They have not been cropped or edited yet.
Maiden took place in Gray, Maine on Forrest lake

Jay
Cub Fan is offline Find More Posts by Cub Fan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:00 AM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Very Nice! What did you think about the Widgeon now that you've had a chance to think about your flight? Please tell us more about your flight experiences and impressions.

McD
kingsflyer is offline Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Jul 22, 2014, 08:26 AM
Where'd it go? Uh Oh!
Russia, Kamchatka Krai, Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Joined Nov 2004
561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by riechsoldier1 View Post
Been thinking about getting one and now im ready, but see there discontinued.But the catalina isn't, was it poor sales? Anyone see a site that has one?
If the Catalina you're referring to is the Great Planes Catalina, I have experience with both the PBY and the Widgeon. In my opinion, the PBY is more of a relaxing flyer whereas, the Widgeon is a relatively "hot" performer.

Grog
capngrog is offline Find More Posts by capngrog
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:20 PM
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Very Nice! What did you think about the Widgeon now that you've had a chance to think about your flight? Please tell us more about your flight experiences and impressions.

McD

The Widgeon was my first twin.I did the 3 blade mod and was otherwise stock.
It handled very nice on the water and flew excellent. It was very smooth in flight and fast. I didn't have the best landing i have ever done but there was no damage. After thinking about it- it was going faster then I thought so when i flared to land it hopped back up and I overcorrected. I think the answer is to let it settle on it's own when it is close to the water since it is so elevator sensitive. I have since added some expo to the elevator but haven't had a chance to try it yet,
I really like the plane and it looks awesome in the air- I keep expecting to hear boss da plane- da plane

Jay
Old Aug 25, 2014, 11:51 AM
Bradenton, FL
Joined Nov 2004
601 Posts
water leak

Had a water leak in the tail section of the widgeon. After a lot of thought and not wanting to cut the rudder off and re-hinge. I took a small amount of 30 minute epoxy thinned with alcohol and poured it into the tail. It seems to have fixed the issue and did effect the balance much. I was able to move the battery a little more forward to get it spot on.

Jay
Old Aug 26, 2014, 07:50 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Nice fix! Glad you caught the leak. Water sloshing around in the fuselage tends to shift the CG with really bad consequences.
McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 26, 2014, 09:59 AM
Lost in the Sky
Burleson, Texas
Joined Jun 2003
1,966 Posts
Something I came up with for dealing with controlling water in an RC sailboat was using paper towels to blot up leakage.

Water is going to get in somehow, so make a paper towel dam at the CG and any water moving back and forth in the fuselage will be blotted up and stored at the CG for removal.
Richard N is offline Find More Posts by Richard N
Old Oct 13, 2014, 02:36 PM
Calm before the storm
United States, TX, Bullard
Joined Jun 2014
81 Posts
Just bought one at Horizon Hobbies was on the shelf and couldn't resist. Has been on the shelf awhile as there was some dust on the box lol. I also had about 45 mins of fixing the wrinkled covering on the tail, wing, an horizontal stab. This is my first float plane and maybe I am in over my head here but I wanted to ask what folks are doing to water proof and help keep water out of this thing. Hopefully there are some enthusiasts left since it has been discontinued which makes this build/flying even more nerve wracking. I live next to a lake that is large and figured the would be lots of fun.
Flyboy81 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy81
Old Oct 14, 2014, 03:24 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Here is the RCGroups Review site for the Widgeon:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1518706

It should help you during the construction and setup process.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 14, 2014, 09:46 PM
Calm before the storm
United States, TX, Bullard
Joined Jun 2014
81 Posts
Thanks for the tip! I will check it out.
Flyboy81 is offline Find More Posts by Flyboy81
Old Oct 14, 2014, 11:10 PM
United States, NY, Fairport
Joined Jan 2012
245 Posts
My Differential Throttle Mixes on a Dx18

Sharing these pictures of my Differential Throttle settings on my Dx18.
3 mixes
Throttle to Aux 2 w/ 100% Offset. Without the Offset the Aux Channel moved from 0% to 100%. With the offset both Throttle and Aux 2 move from -100% to + 100%.

Rudder to Throttle as shown in the picture. On Switch A
Rudder to Aux 2 as shown in the picture. On Switch A

I redirected Aux 2 to switch H so both throttle and Aux 2 go to -150% (throttle cut) on Switch H.

With Throttle full down..If I were to move rudder all the way right or left...throttle will go to 1/4 on the turning motor with these settings.

It took me an hour of trial and error to get this working right. Putting it here for anybody else who may be fighting the Diff Thrust settings.

Ready to go!!
HotChaCha is offline Find More Posts by HotChaCha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by HotChaCha; Oct 14, 2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Corrected Rudder to Aux 2 and Rudder to Throttle settings
Old Oct 19, 2014, 10:10 PM
Living The Dream in Bris Vegas
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChaCha View Post
Sharing these pictures of my Differential Throttle settings on my Dx18.
3 mixes
Throttle to Aux 2 w/ 100% Offset. Without the Offset the Aux Channel moved from 0% to 100%. With the offset both Throttle and Aux 2 move from -100% to + 100%.

Rudder to Throttle as shown in the picture. On Switch A
Rudder to Aux 2 as shown in the picture. On Switch A

I redirected Aux 2 to switch H so both throttle and Aux 2 go to -150% (throttle cut) on Switch H.

With Throttle full down..If I were to move rudder all the way right or left...throttle will go to 1/4 on the turning motor with these settings.

It took me an hour of trial and error to get this working right. Putting it here for anybody else who may be fighting the Diff Thrust settings.

Ready to go!!
Had this same offset issue on My DX-9 and 99% sure it's the same for my 18 as well until I realised that if I "made the Aux channel I wanted for my second throttle the "buddy" of throttle in the same way as you do with dual aileron , elevator etc , I didn't need the offset and indeed the mix to the aux channel...
ohaussie is offline Find More Posts by ohaussie
Last edited by ohaussie; Oct 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: beacuse I can't type
Old Oct 20, 2014, 07:53 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,151 Posts
Nice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 21, 2014, 04:10 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,599 Posts
Just a quick note.
Aftermarket can be found here.

http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/in...roducts_id=717
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
Old Nov 21, 2014, 04:53 PM
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Jul 2008
576 Posts
That's good to know. The oem are very fragile.
handyman 220 is offline Find More Posts by handyman 220