HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:21 PM
Don't Call Me Shirley
Tucknut's Avatar
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
Hey Tom, as a newbie to r/c videoing, this thread is an incredibly valuable resource with tons of great info. Can't wait to put all of this to use.
I know you've put a heck of a lot of time into it. Just wanted to say thanks for the effort.
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
Derek edited it - yes.

I will check the 1st posts... but I do find it interesting that Derek used the process in this thread to remove the date stamp - as far I know this process won't work for the low res cams correct?

What's the easiest way to get the LED to illuminate red?
If the video was editied, it was resized (why, I don't know) and the quality was also degraded.

Yes, the firmware download from this site is only for the #11HD cameras. The red LED should turn on whever the internal battery is charging. Plug into a USB port on your computer. If the battery is fully charged, you won't see the red LED, or maybe just a brief flash as you plug it in. If the battery is not fully charged, the red LED should turn on until the battery is charged, then turn off. I suggest you read the link in the FAQs in Post #3 on basic camera functions.

What is the file name of a video taken with your camera? It should be somthing like "PTDC00001.MOV" (last number will increment with each new video). If it's something else, it's not a #11.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 19, 2011, 05:40 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucknut View Post
Hey Tom, as a newbie to r/c videoing, this thread is an incredibly valuable resource with tons of great info. Can't wait to put all of this to use.
I know you've put a heck of a lot of time into it. Just wanted to say thanks for the effort.
Thanks, Tucknut. Welcome to the thread. Hopefully the info in the first several posts will help answer any questions you might have without having to post them first.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:14 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Just to make sure I understand.
The #11 cam can be configured to make files longer than 20-30 minutes.
Apparently the battery will last about 100 minutes.
I plan to get 2 for my sailplane and want to be able to get a continuous video of semi-long duration flights.
If the #11 can work with an external battery to shoot an entire flying session (say 3 hours) that's what I want.
Is that do-able with the #11?
If so, can someone recommend a particular vendor, model number...link to the sale page?
Sorry to be pressing the easy button here but there seems to be too many different models for sale now...having trouble deciding.
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:15 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
SENTRY 62's Avatar
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
If the video was editied, it was resized (why, I don't know) and the quality was also degraded.

Yes, the firmware download from this site is only for the #11HD cameras. The red LED should turn on whever the internal battery is charging. Plug into a USB port on your computer. If the battery is fully charged, you won't see the red LED, or maybe just a brief flash as you plug it in. If the battery is not fully charged, the red LED should turn on until the battery is charged, then turn off. I suggest you read the link in the FAQs in Post #3 on basic camera functions.

What is the file name of a video taken with your camera? It should be somthing like "PTDC00001.MOV" (last number will increment with each new video). If it's something else, it's not a #11.
That's the answer I need. LOL. I got 2 11s and 1 "other". Great info!!!! TY SIR!!!
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Old Jun 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
Registered User
CANNONFODDER0's Avatar
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Hi!
I have a camera which has stopped responding. I did update the firmware to the "Recover Date/Time stamp" release two ~09 May 2011, but the camera worked fine for a couple of days following.

After switching to another microSD card, I did get the camera to go into the "USB storage" mode once. After that, nothing.

I tried the reset button with the camera off, with the main button pushed in, and while connected to the USB port as in the recover from dead firmware post (again, I have no reason to suspect a bad flash), but I have not yet clipped the battery wires as I don't have a soldering iron, and I'm not that good at it anyway.

Are there other troubleshooting steps, or a precise sequence of steps (I cannot find the instructions it came with, and only found the one post on troubleshooting a "dead" camera).

I will be traveling tomorrow through the week and was sort of happy to have it, if only for the still camera mode (cameras went to the other party...).

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:34 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
Does this look like the right camera?
http://cgi.ebay.com/11-HD-Flight-Rec...item23113c3f6a

Thanks for advice!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:42 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Does this look like the right camera?
http://cgi.ebay.com/11-HD-Flight-Rec...item23113c3f6a

Thanks for advice!
Yes, it's one of the "jumbo" versions with the larger battery (and larger size/weight), if that's the one you are wanting.

As stated in Post #2, these are the key specs to look for in the ads that define the #11 HD cameras:

720P high Definition Video 1280 x 720 H.264 30fps .mov fomat

Post #2 shows the different styles... they are all #11 cameras, just different case sizes and styles.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 19, 2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 07:51 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Just to make sure I understand.
The #11 cam can be configured to make files longer than 20-30 minutes.
Apparently the battery will last about 100 minutes.
I plan to get 2 for my sailplane and want to be able to get a continuous video of semi-long duration flights.
If the #11 can work with an external battery to shoot an entire flying session (say 3 hours) that's what I want.
Is that do-able with the #11?
...
The FAQ link in post #3 tells the tale on the continuous recording firmware. It is currently "broken", but will record a file up to 4GB in size. When the bug is fixed, it will then continue with another 4GB recording, etc. etc. The pause between 4GB clips is only a few seconds, though.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 19, 2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:02 PM
Drifting off the reservation..
JumpySticks's Avatar
USA, LA, Broussard
Joined Jan 2011
2,296 Posts
[QUOTE=Tom Frank;18543288]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpySticks View Post
Just to make sure I understand.
The #11 cam can be configured to make files longer than 20-30 minutes.
Apparently the battery will last about 100 minutes.
I plan to get 2 for my sailplane and want to be able to get a continuous video of semi-long duration flights.
If the #11 can work with an external battery to shoot an entire flying session (say 3 hours) that's what I want.
Is that do-able with the #11?
...
QUOTE]The FAQ link in post #3 tells the tale on the continuous recording firmware. It is currently "broken", but will record a file up to 4GB in size. When the bug is fixed, it will then continue with another 4GB recording, etc. etc. The pause between 4GB clips is only a few seconds, though.
I did read the threads, but still had questions.
Thanks!
JumpySticks is offline Find More Posts by JumpySticks
Old Jun 19, 2011, 08:24 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Hi!
I have a camera which has stopped responding. I did update the firmware to the "Recover Date/Time stamp" release two ~09 May 2011, but the camera worked fine for a couple of days following.

After switching to another microSD card, I did get the camera to go into the "USB storage" mode once. After that, nothing.

I tried the reset button with the camera off, with the main button pushed in, and while connected to the USB port as in the recover from dead firmware post (again, I have no reason to suspect a bad flash), but I have not yet clipped the battery wires as I don't have a soldering iron, and I'm not that good at it anyway.

Are there other troubleshooting steps, or a precise sequence of steps (I cannot find the instructions it came with, and only found the one post on troubleshooting a "dead" camera).

I will be traveling tomorrow through the week and was sort of happy to have it, if only for the still camera mode (cameras went to the other party...).

v/r,
C-F
There's a link to the camera instructions in post #3, but they don't tell you anything!
  • Does the yellow LED come on when power button pushed?
  • Is battery charged? Does it hold a charge?
  • Will camera record with power from car charger?
  • Did you try another USB cable?
  • Did you try a different USB port (one on the PC case, not a remote hub)?
  • Did you reformat the flash card(s) (preferrably with SDformatter utility)?
  • Does the flash card work in other devices?
SInce the camera shows some signs of life off and on, it's an intermittant problem... likely connectivity/data communication problem.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:18 PM
wishing for Tomcat...
turbinefancy's Avatar
United States, CA, Irvine
Joined Jun 2009
753 Posts
subscribed
turbinefancy is online now Find More Posts by turbinefancy
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:20 PM
Dance the skies...
Tom Frank's Avatar
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,979 Posts
Minimizing the Video Vignetting Blues With Vdub Editor

All of the #11 cameras show darkening at the right/left edges and corners of the video (vignetting). Some are worse than others, but they all show this problem to some degree. Mine is one of the worse ones, I think.

Back in this thread I posted some examples of how this can be corrected using a commercial editor (MAGIX Movie edit Pro 17 PLus). There is another free solution! The VirtualDub (a.k.a. Vdub) editor (freeware) has a rich array of filters that can be applied to videos, one of which is called "hotspot", which uses a mask to adjust the brightness of selective portions of the video frames. When the mask exactly matches your camera's vignetting pattern, it can increase the edge brightness selectively where your camera darkens them!

I've attached two frame grabs from my #11 camera showing a before and after picture of how this filter mask can improve the video. It's not perfect (can't change color shift in darkened areas like the MAGIX editor can), but it can minimize the vignetting edge darkness throughout the entire video. I have also included a .zip file with the hotspot filter for Vdub, the mask I created for my camera, and instructions for anyone wanting to make a mask which matches their camera's vignetting exactly. You can try my filter mask to see how the filter works to see if you might want to use this tool.

You need to know that VDub ONLY works with .AVI format files, so you should first convert the .MOV files from the #11 .MOV format to .AVI using the MP4cam2AVI utility to convert the file without having to re-encode the original (see the editing link in the FAQs on Post #3 for more info on this tool). Or you can re-encode by any other conversion program if you wish. Also, some commercial editors can use Vdub filters, such as the VideoPad editor, to give this same capability it does not have built in.

My next goal is to find a similar filter, or a way to use the Vdub Hotspot filter with the AviDemux free editor, so the conversion of the file to .AVI format is not necessary.

PM me if you have any questions.
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Jun 19, 2011 at 10:37 PM. Reason: Added two new pics
Old Jun 19, 2011, 09:37 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, San Ramon
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbinefancy View Post
subscribed
You know, there is a "Thread Tools" link at the top of any thread that can be used to subscribe. No need to waste everyones time posting useless "subscribe" posts.
xamindar is offline Find More Posts by xamindar
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:02 PM
Heli collector
livonia bob's Avatar
United States, MI, Livonia
Joined Apr 2009
16,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xamindar View Post
You know, there is a "Thread Tools" link at the top of any thread that can be used to subscribe. No need to waste everyones time posting useless "subscribe" posts.
Also no need to waste everyone's time telling him after the fact.. But It might help him on his next thread subscription. But you could of sent him a PM to tell him... But then maybe there are others that don't know this and that will help them and us all by not having to read that they subscribed. But then maybe he just wanted to let us all know that he is now on the thread.. And we should stand up when reading his post???

Had a nice Fathers Day..
livonia bob is offline Find More Posts by livonia bob
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video Samurai with key cam AeroNut45 Electric Plane Talk 2 Oct 31, 2010 12:40 AM
Found found beladog FPV Equipment (FS/W) 1 Oct 30, 2010 02:01 PM
Discussion Any sign of True real time HD FPV gear....not secondary HD CAM ???!! khaled_abobakr FPV Talk 8 Oct 10, 2010 08:13 AM
Mini-Review Key Chain Cam for your autogyro!!! imsofaman Auto Gyros 7 Sep 10, 2010 08:10 AM