SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 21, 2010, 07:13 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Idea
Double Horse 9053 Volitation Mods & Tips

Here is one of my 9053's with a few mods. I flew it tonight in my park and had the best flying experience so far. Pretty calm wind and the first night I've used the modified tail rotor. This thing was screaming through the air. On SLOW, it was ploughing through the light wind and on FAST it was a streak in the sky. I was doing 100' circles like it was nothing.

The tail rotor are business cards. I have two sandwiched together on each side. Electrical taped to the rotor. Give it substantial forward power.

The main rotors are tightened down as far as I will go before they strip themselves out. Some more electrical tape to hold them parallel.

A plastic flybar, from the Double Horse 9073 maybe? From XHeli. Includes and LED on one end that is activated by centrifugal force. No more bent steel flybars.

The 3000mAH battery as purchased from Hong Kong through eBay.

And the antenna hangs loose to help reduce comms loss.

theleetbeagle is offline Find More Posts by theleetbeagle
Last edited by theleetbeagle; Nov 21, 2010 at 07:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2010, 10:56 PM
zag
www.radioactives.se/rc
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Looks nice Nick. Any increase of vibration from the tail rotor? I had some when I modified mine. That is a big battery. How long can you fly on that?[
zag is offline Find More Posts by zag
Last edited by zag; Nov 21, 2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:08 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
No I don't see any increased vibration. I did however see smoke coming from the ECB when using the tail rotor. I mean a lot of smoke. Mere moments later I no longer had a working tail rotor, lol. This was after 30 minutes of solid flying, with the tail rotor being operated most of the time.

IDK what happened...maybe the increased resistance from the larger airfoils caused increased heat on the capacitors (?) during use? Either way I've ordered a new ECB.

IDK if I see twice the flight time w the new battery, but its definitely longer. Maybe 20 minutes?
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
zag
www.radioactives.se/rc
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
Hmm, sounds maybe like a heat problem. Can you see what has overheated? If it's a power regulator, maybe a heat sink could lower the temp a bit. I'll take look at my ECB when I return home and see what's on it. 30 minutes is a long time for contineous flying. Maybe the motor overheated first and short circuited and then the ECB took a beating??
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:05 AM
zag
www.radioactives.se/rc
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
What is the weight of that large battery? Maybe the additional increase of weight have contributed to the overheating by the use of higher rpm to sustain speed and altitude and thus killing the ECS (throttle control on the ECB)?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 12:11 AM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
IIRC, new battery is 148g vs stock 98g. So 1.5x the weight. But, I've removed the decorative bars and cockpit cover saving about an ounce. So really it should all even out.

EDIT: Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250415872363

Back to being upset that I'm replacing ever more parts, but that first flight tonight was totally worth it. ECB burnt out on my second flight of the night and that was also worth it. Just zooms through the sky, esp if you have a tailwind.

EDIT 2: Here is the exact component that burnt out. I don't know electronics enough to know what exactly it is.

Last edited by theleetbeagle; Nov 22, 2010 at 12:17 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2010, 01:17 AM
Missouri
Joined Nov 2010
2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
EDIT 2: Here is the exact component that burnt out. I don't know electronics enough to know what exactly it is.

That is a transistor. Mine put out the magic smoke the other day after flying the 3rd consecutive battery/flight in slightly windy conditions.

I found out my tail motor was shot also.

Luckily i had a spare of each.
lite em up is offline Find More Posts by lite em up
Old Nov 22, 2010, 02:47 AM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Transistors simply change current, right? So that possibly changes the 7.4v coming off the battery to the 6v (I think) for the tail motor?

And while you're answering that, lol, answer me this... does the 9053 have an actual gyroscope on the ECB or do they simply mean the gyroscopic effect of the flybar?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 03:45 PM
zag
www.radioactives.se/rc
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
I thinks that is a NPN transistor, like lite em up said. Could be too much contineous flight time and no time to cool. I'm not sure. The bigger tail blade could be a factor aswell forcing the motor to work harder for a longer time.

Regarding the gyro... that's a good question. There is nothing on the ECB that, to me, looks like it could be a gyro. Has anyone trying to fly this thing without the flybar? I have constructed a test stand for the 9053. I might remove the flybar to see how it reacts. I just need to charge my batteries first....

This is a nice DIY heatsink for a TO-92 http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-...l-Transistors/
Last edited by zag; Nov 22, 2010 at 03:54 PM. Reason: adding a link
Old Nov 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
zag
www.radioactives.se/rc
Joined Nov 2010
13 Posts
My test stand

Here is my homebrewed test stand, version 1, for the 9053 or similar helicopters. This is my first test run. The cg is not perfectly aligned with the center of the stand so the heli tips forward a bit. This was just to check that it worked. I will add a new platform with better cg adjustment.

I have used a scrapped camera tripod where I have removed the head and added a vertical tube in the center. The platform is attached to a smaller tube that runs inside the larger one and is secured with a piece of string to stop the helicopter from climbing more than 10 inch. That is enough to check the stability, trim and check for vibration.

9053_teststand.avi (0 min 49 sec)
Last edited by zag; Nov 22, 2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old Dec 01, 2010, 01:46 AM
Joined Nov 2010
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theleetbeagle View Post
IIRC, new battery is 148g vs stock 98g. So 1.5x the weight. But, I've removed the decorative bars and cockpit cover saving about an ounce. So really it should all even out.

EDIT: Here it is: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=250415872363

Back to being upset that I'm replacing ever more parts, but that first flight tonight was totally worth it. ECB burnt out on my second flight of the night and that was also worth it. Just zooms through the sky, esp if you have a tailwind.

Lite em up is correct on that being a transistor. The reason it is burning out is that the amps you are pushing threw it is causing it to over heat. A heat sink should help with correcting the problem.
Goldwolf99 is offline Find More Posts by Goldwolf99
Old Dec 04, 2010, 02:35 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Do you have the part number for that flybar? I was wondering if it was the one from the 9077 that you are using. Lots of good mods in here so far. I was wondering-since you have such a heavier battery than the stock one how necessary is the bigger tail rotor paddle? I know I have the same problem with foward flight as many of you guys do. Thanks!
marcs66and06 is offline Find More Posts by marcs66and06
Old Dec 04, 2010, 07:22 PM
Flying Shoe
Ohio
Joined Nov 2010
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcs66and06 View Post
Do you have the part number for that flybar? I was wondering if it was the one from the 9077 that you are using. Lots of good mods in here so far. I was wondering-since you have such a heavier battery than the stock one how necessary is the bigger tail rotor paddle? I know I have the same problem with foward flight as many of you guys do. Thanks!
9077 flybar:

http://www.xheli.com/part-9077-01.html

A larger tail rotor with such heavy forward weight probably is not necessary, but without it you lose any additional support when traveling backwards, too.

The tail rotor mod did provide a streak-in-the-sky appearance one night, though. It was already traveling fast bc of the forward weight and when I gunned it, it just took off!
Old Dec 06, 2010, 04:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
Sweet okay...I ordered a 2200 mah battery along with various other replacement parts. I cant wait to use a flybar where I dont have to worry about bending it or the always painful bladestrike and fall from the sky. I have been having a loss of signal and didnt know if anyone else has experienced that. I went in and recharged the bird and put new AA batteries in but I still have the occasional loss of signal which come to find out is not very good at 30 feet up.
marcs66and06 is offline Find More Posts by marcs66and06
Old Dec 27, 2010, 05:31 PM
Joined Dec 2010
2 Posts
where did you get the baterry?

can you direct me where to get these larger batteries? the 2200 would be great or larger as long as it doesnt effect the heli and burn out my components.
yankee28210 is offline Find More Posts by yankee28210