SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:02 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
I'm going to order in the next couple of days a heli on behalf of my mum for my birthday (as she said just order the heli you want and I will just pay for it lol) and I'm seriously torn. Originally I thought the mSR was the obvious choice as I clearly want to practice on a single rotor and want to be able to do it inside the house but now im starting to have doubts and thinking should I go back to a coaxial despite it feeling like a step backwards. Or as I'm getting a new laptop from the wife, should I get a flight sim instead.

Actually just thinking about it has made my mind up. Unless anyone thinks the mSR will be too outrageous for me to get to grips with indoors I'm going for that as I need a working heli to feed my addiction and a flight sim will have to come latter as I will need a tx which I can plug in unless the one Battle Dude is sending me comes with that option. I should check now really.
The TX I am sending you is not on the list of compatable TX's for the Phoenix sim. However it does have the trainer port on the rear of the TX that is required to connect it to a USB port on your pute. It may work, I don't know. One would just have to try it.

Phoenix is available with a DX5e TX, and it is a good value:
http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Pro-Si...+simulator+4.0

The DX5e is a good radio, however if you have even the slightest notion of getter a better radio(DX6, 7 or 8) then it would be a wasted purchase in the long run. Once you see how much better your bird flies with a good radio, you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

I highly suggest you get a computerized radio, you will not regret it. I have a deal for you Bro. Why don't you get the sim with the DX5e from your mum.

I will let you have one of the 120's I have left for $50 plus ship, and let the other fella I mentioned have the last one.(Maybe your mum would spring for the 120 also)?

Then you can:
1. Have a good radio.(Can't stress this fact enough, just ask others here)
2. Have a working heli. (To satisfy your need for a flying fix, while you repair 1st
one)
3. Have the sim to practice on, while the weather is Btitish. and also teaching
you to fly without so much cost in damaged equipment.

It might be the best of both world's for you.

Just a thought, roll it around mate.

Kyle
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:31 PM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDude View Post
The TX I am sending you is not on the list of compatable TX's for the Phoenix sim. However it does have the trainer port on the rear of the TX that is required to connect it to a USB port on your pute. It may work, I don't know. One would just have to try it.

Phoenix is available with a DX5e TX, and it is a good value:
http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Pro-Si...+simulator+4.0

The DX5e is a good radio, however if you have even the slightest notion of getter a better radio(DX6, 7 or 8) then it would be a wasted purchase in the long run. Once you see how much better your bird flies with a good radio, you will wonder how you ever managed without it.

I highly suggest you get a computerized radio, you will not regret it. I have a deal for you Bro. Why don't you get the sim with the DX5e from your mum.

I will let you have one of the 120's I have left for $50 plus ship, and let the other fella I mentioned have the last one.(Maybe your mum would spring for the 120 also)?

Then you can:
1. Have a good radio.(Can't stress this fact enough, just ask others here)
2. Have a working heli. (To satisfy your need for a flying fix, while you repair 1st
one)
3. Have the sim to practice on, while the weather is Btitish. and also teaching
you to fly without so much cost in damaged equipment.

It might be the best of both world's for you.

Just a thought, roll it around mate.

Kyle
Right I'm going to give this a good deal of thought (over dinner) and let you know what I've come up with. But would take the 120SR off your hands any day of the week That's barely the cost of a weeks worth of spares at my rate of destruction
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:55 PM
Registered Abuser
Kelowna, BC Canada
Joined Nov 2010
270 Posts
Quote:
So your post on the need to swivel actually hit home as I just always had it in my head it was simply a way of connecting parts.

Well a few flights later (very very brief flight I should add) I'm getting the same problem with the rear rotor speeding up and slowing down at will for no obvious reasons. Ive taken off the rear boom and checked the wiring (which is now where it should be and not just stuffed inside the computer board housing and can't see any obvious flaws. The first flights were completely fine.

Then I get another issue which Ive had before but can't remember what caused it. It just wants to fly backwards straight from the off. The swash plate is level, trims are set right and no matter how much elevator is applied (not that my elevator would do much anyway) she is still going backwards. The battery is in properly. Any ideas?

Now I know this has serious issues anyway and I shouldn't be touching her until I get a new swash plate, links and servo. But I can't help it with it just sitting there calling to me to fly her.

Im recharging two batteries as we speak so going to have another play which is stupid as I dont want to be ordering more parts but I can't help myself.

I'm going to order in the next couple of days a heli on behalf of my mum for my birthday (as she said just order the heli you want and I will just pay for it lol) and I'm seriously torn. Originally I thought the mSR was the obvious choice as I clearly want to practice on a single rotor and want to be able to do it inside the house but now im starting to have doubts and thinking should I go back to a coaxial despite it feeling like a step backwards. Or as I'm getting a new laptop from the wife, should I get a flight sim instead.

Actually just thinking about it has made my mind up. Unless anyone thinks the mSR will be too outrageous for me to get to grips with indoors I'm going for that as I need a working heli to feed my addiction and a flight sim will have to come latter as I will need a tx which I can plug in unless the one Battle Dude is sending me comes with that option. I should check now really.

I think I'm going to spend a lot of the day watching vids of the mSR and see if it looks controllable in my hands and also at different flight sims. Sorry for the ramble.

I will still fix up my 120SR and order the parts this week. I might also order a very cheap four channel of ebay that doesnt matter if it gets destroyed as my last one was so much fun and I need to fly something and it will probably result in less damage to the mSR if I get some serious flight time in.

I was gonna try and give you a good well typed post but I'm lazy so here's my opinions in point form:

#1-Stop flying until you replace that swash. What you are doing to that bird is going to cause excess heat build up in the motor and likely the control board as well. Avoid doing more expensive damage just for the desire to fly a little right now. That's short term gain that'll give you long term pain. I won't even comment on any other flight control issues until the swash is replaced.

#2-For what you should get right now? If you want to progress further then a single rotor fixed pitch, take that offer for the cheap bird and get the sim. As far as radio, the DX5e will be more than adequate for this bird, but again, if you want to go further, you will want the DX6i or better.

The mSR would an excellent choice for you if you'd rather just have a brand new birdie right now. Maybe stay away from anything flybarless though (mSRx)...

Don't waste your money on a 4 channel from Ebay. Spend that money on parts to keep the 120 airborne.

Don't go back to a co-ax. That would just be counter-productive.

You've probably already explained this but, why don't you just fix your 120SR properly right now?
Chris.S. is offline Find More Posts by Chris.S.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:39 PM
United States, CA, Foster City
Joined Nov 2011
241 Posts
The DX4 and 5 have a hidden expo feature. For the DX5;
DX5e (Modes 1 and 2)
Activate Expo
1. Hold the aileron trim switch to the right when
powering on the transmitter.
2. Release the aileron trim switch after a series
of ascending tones to confirm that Expo is
activated.
Deactivate Expo
1. Hold the aileron trim switch to the left when
powering on the transmitter.
2. Release the aileron trim switch after a series
of descending tones to confirm that Expo is
deactivated.
B dog is offline Find More Posts by B dog
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.S. View Post
I was gonna try and give you a good well typed post but I'm lazy so here's my opinions in point form:

#1-Stop flying until you replace that swash. What you are doing to that bird is going to cause excess heat build up in the motor and likely the control board as well. Avoid doing more expensive damage just for the desire to fly a little right now. That's short term gain that'll give you long term pain. I won't even comment on any other flight control issues until the swash is replaced.

#2-For what you should get right now? If you want to progress further then a single rotor fixed pitch, take that offer for the cheap bird and get the sim. As far as radio, the DX5e will be more than adequate for this bird, but again, if you want to go further, you will want the DX6i or better.

The mSR would an excellent choice for you if you'd rather just have a brand new birdie right now. Maybe stay away from anything flybarless though (mSRx)...

Don't waste your money on a 4 channel from Ebay. Spend that money on parts to keep the 120 airborne.

Don't go back to a co-ax. That would just be counter-productive.

You've probably already explained this but, why don't you just fix your 120SR properly right now?
First thanks for the post and the great advice

I had, had multiple problems before and had ordered a whole lot of parts that took quite a while to get here as they weren't all in stock but eventually after fitting everything and it was taken for a flight I had the problem of it drifting backwards no matter what I did (could this have been the swash plate) as this was one of the few parts that wasn't replaced?

Anyway after replacing linkages to the swash plate, at different times both balls on the swash plates broke off and were unglueable(would you even attempt that normally anyway), hence why i permanently glued the linkages to the swash plate not knowing how stupid that was.

On top of that due to several (many) indoor crashes the rear boom connector broke (the one that connects to the computer board) and the main motor connector broke) so now everything is hard wired to the computer board. Which all seems to work fine amazingly.

I'm still going to fix my 120SR up anyway and order the parts this week, but was very kindly offered previously by battle dude to buy one of his 120SRs which I thought my wife could eventually use as she seems quite keen on the idea and even if she realises its not for her then having two 120s around is never a bad thing where i am concerned but someone else was showing an interest in them before I could tell Battle Dude I wanted one so they weren't available, but since one is now, that's why I am going to get one.

He is already sending me a much better tx free of charge which is extraordinarily kind of him so Im reluctant to get the simulator with the Dxe5 when I could either buy the simulator on its own from here at a currently reduced price

http://www.kingslynnmodelshop.co.uk/...c67/index.html

Which is the same place I got my heli and always seem to be the cheapest for everything and there service is first class or buy it with a range of upgrades which includes all the spectrum range but Im hoping to get a cheap DX6i off ebay and use it with that.

I do have the sense now that when the 120SR is fully fixed there will be no more indoor flying and had I started out in a park it would have been fine. It was because I was so use to flying co axials indoors i thought i would be ok, but these are in a differnt ball park I have discovered

Yes Im going to go with the mSR over the mSRx after watching numerous vids as it just looks like organised chaos and wouldnt be much fun for me and the common theme seems to be having the flybar makes it infinitely more stable. Which is what I want. I'm in no rush to go up the rankings.

Also does anyone know if you can use the same charger for both as the batteries are both one cell and the charger unit actually has a connector fitted to it so it fits the sr120 battery and if you take it off it very much looks like it would fit the tiny mSR battery. Obviously the charge rate would have to be 0.1A.
Last edited by SR120 fan; Oct 07, 2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:31 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,864 Posts
Quote:

I think I'm going to spend a lot of the day watching vids of the mSR and see if it looks controllable in my hands and also at different flight sims. Sorry for the ramble.
The mSR is my favorite even after 2 years of flying it. The reason is that it flies very similar to the SR 120, it takes a lot of abuse and the parts are very cheap. At least the parts were cheap... I haven't bought any in quite a while because I bought a 1/2 dozen wrecked helis off eBay and I have parts to last quite a while.

Also, I have the mSRX and the mCX2. I recommend these if you just like to fly the things for what they are. They actually fly better than the mSR because of the AS3X gyro stability. Saying that, I can hover my mSR with hands off the tx, so it's all in what you what to accomplish.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Last edited by Saxguy1000; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:34 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Also does anyone know if you can use the same charger for both as the batteries are both one cell and the charger unit actually has a connector fitted to it so it fits the sr120 battery and if you take it off it very much looks like it would fit the tiny mSR battery. Obviously the charge rate would have to be 0.1A.
The link you provided to Kings Lynn shows a Phoenix Sim packaged with a DX6i I didn't know they were offering that package, that would be the way to go!

And yes you can use the Celectra charger that somes with the 120SR to charge the batt for the mSR. Just remove the adapter that is use for the 120SR. But I don't see where the mSR is offered in BNF, only RTF, so you are going to get a charger with it anyway.

If you are going with the mSR to have a heli that is easier for flying indoors, I just don't know if that would be the right choice. I don't own one, but it appears to be a smaller version of the 120SR, and would more than likely have the exact same handling characteristics. Tough to handle in a small space I would think. Since you have both Sax, maybe you could address this point for him?
Last edited by BattleDude; Oct 07, 2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
The mSR is my favorite even after 2 years of flying it. The reason is that it flies very similar to the SR 120, it takes a lot of abuse and the parts are very cheap. At least the parts were cheap... I haven't bought any in quite a while because I bought a 1/2 dozen wrecked helis off eBay and I have parts to last quite a while.

Also, I have the mSRX and the mCX2. I recommend these if you just like to fly the things for what they are. They actually fly better than the mSR because of the AS3X gyro stability. Saying that, I can hover my mSR with hands off the tx, so it's all in what you what to accomplish.
A minature version of the 120SR is what I am looking for and the fact it is still your favourite can't be a band thing. Do you find the AS3X stability is better when flying more dramatically as opposed to more basic manoeuvres as from the videos I was watching people were saying that just basic hovering on the mSRX took a lot of hands on control and concentration compared with the mSR which was far more simple. The dramatic stuff can wait for me if this is the case
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
The link you provided to Kings Lynn shows a Phoenix Sim packaged with a DX6i I didn't know they were offering that package, that would be the way to go!

And yes you can use the Celectra charger that somes with the 120SR to charge the batt for the mSR. Just remove the adapter that is use for the 120SR. But I don't see where the mSR is offered in BNF, only RTF, so you are going to get a charger with it anyway.

If you are going with the mSR to have a heli that is easier for flying indoors, I just don't know if that would be the right choice. I don't own one, but it appears to be a smaller version of the 120SR, and would more than likely have the exact same handling characteristics. Tough to handle in a small space I would think. Since you have both Sax, maybe you could address this point for him?
Oh I was meant to show you the link of all the combinations of tx with the simulator they did.

Now that you are saying that you are a bit concerned that the mSR might even be a bit of a problem inside then I'm back in a bit of a predicament as that's exactly what I wanted it for.

That's good news that I can use the same charger though. I might have to have a rethink but am still tempted to go for the mSR but will take all advice. I have a reasonable inside flying space but nothing spectacular.

I will try and find the link for transmitters it works with as if it does work with the one you are sending me then that would be such a bonus and buy me a bit of time before needing to upgrade to the DX6i. I really dont want to have get a sim with a lesser remote which will soon be unused. As I doubt it will be long before I get a DX6i anyway as it's benefits are pretty unanimous amongst users
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:26 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,774 Posts
Quote:
Oh I was meant to show you the link of all the combinations of tx with the simulator they did.

Now that you are saying that you are a bit concerned that the mSR might even be a bit of a problem inside then I'm back in a bit of a predicament as that's exactly what I wanted it for.

That's good news that I can use the same charger though. I might have to have a rethink but am still tempted to go for the mSR but will take all advice. I have a reasonable inside flying space but nothing spectacular.

I will try and find the link for transmitters it works with as if it does work with the one you are sending me then that would be such a bonus and buy me a bit of time before needing to upgrade to the DX6i. I really dont want to have get a sim with a lesser remote which will soon be unused. As I doubt it will be long before I get a DX6i anyway as it's benefits are pretty unanimous amongst users
I would kinda be surprised if the HP6DSM I sent you works properly with Phoenix, but I suppose there is a slight chance. Even if it did, there are no adjustment settings in that radio. The DX6i has the advantage of being able to make setting adjustments, and then check them out in Phoenix before applying them to your real heli.

I still think your best bet would be to buy Phoenix packaged with the DX6i.

Here is a list of compatible radios. Just go to "support" and then choose "What do I need to successfully use Phoenix R/C"

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.asp
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,366 Posts
Quote:
A minature version of the 120SR is what I am looking for and the fact it is still your favourite can't be a band thing. Do you find the AS3X stability is better when flying more dramatically as opposed to more basic manoeuvres as from the videos I was watching people were saying that just basic hovering on the mSRX took a lot of hands on control and concentration compared with the mSR which was far more simple. The dramatic stuff can wait for me if this is the case
I haven't read the rest of the messages, but, if it hasn't been mentioned, a MSR v1 would be the correct model for a miniature 120SR.
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Oct 07, 2012, 04:44 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
642 Posts
Some good info on the HP6DSM and Phoenix.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=254372
Blackanthem is offline Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Some good info on the HP6DSM and Phoenix.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=254372
Wow great link thanks. I won't hold my breath but if i can find more people that have got it working then I will get it. I assume I may need a special cable or will the one supplied do the trick?
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:48 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
I would kinda be surprised if the HP6DSM I sent you works properly with Phoenix, but I suppose there is a slight chance. Even if it did, there are no adjustment settings in that radio. The DX6i has the advantage of being able to make setting adjustments, and then check them out in Phoenix before applying them to your real heli

I still think your best bet would be to buy Phoenix packaged with the DX6i.

Here is a list of compatible radios. Just go to "support" and then choose "What do I need to successfully use Phoenix R/C"

http://www.phoenix-sim.com/support.asp
It's no bother if it doesn't work BD. I'm just grateful for a better remote then the standard plus an extra remote for the missus who I will force to get into the hobby.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Sep 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post
I haven't read the rest of the messages, but, if it hasn't been mentioned, a MSR v1 would be the correct model for a miniature 120SR.
Yes it was the mSR version i was referring to not the X version.

Do you think it is suitable for indoor flight?