HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 09, 2014, 11:41 AM
United Arab Emirates, Dubai
Joined Jul 2012
469 Posts
Discussion
smallest 3d plane for beginners?

i am looking for the smallest 3d plane to learn 3d on...

Here is my criteria?

should be small, can fly anywhere indoor and outdoor in parks and backyard!
must be strong/tough, if it crashes i can repair it easily...
could be flown in windy condition...
something stable to learn 3d...
smallest possible to learn 3d on... i know there is micro not considering that.... i know they come in 20 to 30+ inch size.... so should i go for 20 inch or less or 30 inch?

please recommend a few models...
ahtiram is offline Find More Posts by ahtiram
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:05 PM
United States, NY, East Syracuse
Joined Apr 2013
124 Posts
that plane doesn't really exist, lol.

There are a bunch of great small 3D foamies that fit most of your criteria. Pretty much all of them don't like much wind at all. Anything more than a light breeze is going to really change the way they fly.

I really enjoy TwistedHobbies planes. The 32" models fly amazing, take a crash extremely well and can fly slow/floaty enough to fly in your backyard or a nice indoor flying site.
aloys24 is offline Find More Posts by aloys24
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:13 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Lots of people gravitate towards the minis/micros for learning 3D for some reason and this is a big mistake. They are not as durable, trickier to work on, and fly much quicker than their larger counterparts. They can be a huge amount of fun for a more advanced pilot in a slightly larger space, but for a newbie, go for a larger model. If you are going to be flying indoors and outdoors, the new SuperLight Crack Yak is a fantastic model that is about as easy as it gets. If you are on a bit more of a budget and/or plan on flying mostly outdoors, go for the 32" Edge.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:24 PM
Hardcore EP 3D Flyer
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2012
534 Posts
considering your location (Asia), www.bestvaluerc.com (direct shipping form China) has some Skywing EPP airplanes that are good choices for learning 3D.

32-in EPP series are good for indoor and calm outdoor conditions
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=412

38-in full fuse Series are amazing park size flyers. handle wind a lot better than any profile flyer of this size.
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=418
http://www.bestvaluerc.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=448
VR Eyedoc is online now Find More Posts by VR Eyedoc
Old Apr 09, 2014, 01:37 PM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
186 Posts
wing span.

with 32 in epp profile planes have lots of wing so the build speck is not as critical. if a person builds light it will fly better but the plane will still be a good park flyer with 25g or more extra.
On the mini size planes the build is harder(to get a good flying plane) and they tend to need more speed to be predictable. 25g extra on a mini and it will never be a good 3d trainer. i would suggest start with 32in and when you learned a bunch about building light planes try go go smaller if you like.

manufactures

the best plane you can build with very little recherche would be twisted hobby's superlight line; crack yak ect... they give the best color build book, i have flown the superlight yak that a 3d berinner build and it was superb.

indoor vrs outdoor vrs in the wind

if you want to fly indoor ;and have moments to learn; weight is critical. the superlight crack yak and epp planes in the same class are rad as parkflyers as well as indoor planes(135-150g). for learning 3d in windy conditions more mass is help-full(150-250g ish).
fancy foam make epp profiles 30-34in with a airfoil wing and if you want to fly in a football field sized spaces in the wind there planes would be perfect. the fancy foam stuff is cheaper but the build book and parts are not as perfect as twisted hobbys. i bet a beginner could build a good 3d parkflyer from fancy foam but the plane would not quite be as forgiving inside as the twisted hobby super-light.

have fun!
mattnat is offline Find More Posts by mattnat