SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 19, 2014, 05:51 PM
United States, TN, Bon Aqua
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Question
What type of glue do I use for this major level of damage

I thought I was home free landing my Fly Zone Sensei Trainer this afternoon when a sudden gust of cross wing lifted the wing up and cartwheeled the plane 2 - 3 times . This ripped off the entire motor assembly along with the front end of the nose (see photos). The question I have is can this be safely repaired with Gorilla glue given that this is the motor structure? Is there another glue that would be better?
hcmaflyer is offline Find More Posts by hcmaflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2014, 10:28 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
618 Posts
First off- that is not major damage...you've got to try harder to majorly damage that foam.
Gorilla glue works great. It fills gaps, strong, easily sourced. Foam safe
Downsides: excess expands while curing (cosmetic) & its terrible if it gets on your hands

Alternatives: Silicone based adhesives like the 2 below
Beacon adhesive 'foam-tac'
Bob Smith Industries 'foam-cure'

Safe on all foams also, carbon fiber and wood. Flexible enough to use for hinging, and stronger than the foam substrate (same as GG). Not messy at all on your hands.
downside: does not fill gaps, not as readily available.

Overall the silicone adhesives are easier to work with and since they don't expand will stay put once you set the joint, whereas the GG must be secured or lightly clamped). Foam tac is the only glue I use besides CA. Your plane is not chuncked up ,you would be fine with any of these 3 options and no the nose wont tear off again at that joint, if you break it it will split elsewhere

Happy Flying
kohersh is online now Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kohersh; Jan 19, 2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:45 AM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
You could also use epoxy.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:32 PM
PA Team Pilot
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Apr 2011
618 Posts
Good call, that is also true, haha, I call it liquid lead but it will work also, wont expand, but is slightly unsightly against the white foam and still sticky to work with
kohersh is online now Find More Posts by kohersh
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,187 Posts
I'll second the gorilla glue. Haven't tried the other ones mentioned.

Do a little test piece if you haven't worked with gorilla glue before. It holds strong but expands while curing so you will have to tape the pieces together. Gorilla glue also looks nice and white at first, assuming you use the white version, but quickly starts to turn a little yellow after some sun has hit it so you need to clean it up with a damp rag as it cures.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:11 PM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Thanks for the advice! I have made a recent repair using Gurrila glue to secure the landing gear on my T28. Based on your good advice I will proceed with repairing Sensei with Gurilla glue. Stay tuned for "after" photos of repair.

Happy Flying!
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:48 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2006
4,258 Posts
You don't need to use much epoxy and don't get it near the edge of the break and you won't see it, either.
Mode One is offline Find More Posts by Mode One
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:06 PM
United States, AL, Athens
Joined Jan 2014
53 Posts
Make sure the motor wasn't damaged on impact and spins free I toasted a speed control that way.
will landers is offline Find More Posts by will landers
Old Jan 28, 2014, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2014
3 Posts
Repairs In Progress

Thanks again for the advice. The nose is glued back on and the elevator tear has been glued using ZAP-O Foam Safe CA with Pro CA Aerosol Activator.

I tested the motor and it is making a high pitch whine at about 4o% throttle. The motor bracket is bent and the spinner has run out.

Looks like I will be replacing the motor, bracket, spinner assembly, and propeller at a cost of about $50.00.

This is the 2nd motor bracket. They seem rather flimsy to me.

Happy Flying!
Old Jan 28, 2014, 10:49 AM
United States, AL, Athens
Joined Jan 2014
53 Posts
On most of my early learning curve foam planes. I used elmers wood glue on broke wings and stuff and never had the same breakage in a previous repaired spot much cheaper than foam safe epoxys.
will landers is offline Find More Posts by will landers
Old Feb 02, 2014, 11:54 AM
Finland
Joined Apr 2013
30 Posts
I use hot glue a lot because it's so easy...
Nerdbuster is offline Find More Posts by Nerdbuster
Old Feb 05, 2014, 08:52 PM
United States, MD, La Plata
Joined Jun 2012
332 Posts
I have used this ( pricey and can be heavy if not used sparingly)
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/go2...w/Go2-Glue.htm
But this stuff is by far and away my favorite
http://www.titebond.com/product.aspx...c-b53970f736af
Icarusdanoob is offline Find More Posts by Icarusdanoob
Last edited by Icarusdanoob; Feb 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: Favorite glue had the wrong link...
Old Feb 06, 2014, 10:57 PM
Culper Junior
eastern pa
Joined Feb 2007
2,250 Posts
I have made major repairs on 1980's era foam models and used plain old Elmers white glue and never had any bad experiences. Of course, they were 1/2A size models, something in the 5 foot span might require epoxy.

Used "Gorilla Glue' once and hated it, gave the rest of the bottle away.
aeronca52 is offline Find More Posts by aeronca52
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:16 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
BSI's foamcure vs. Beacon foamtc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohersh View Post
First off- that is not major damage...you've got to try harder to majorly damage that foam.
Gorilla glue works great. It fills gaps, strong, easily sourced. Foam safe
Downsides: excess expands while curing (cosmetic) & its terrible if it gets on your hands

Alternatives: Silicone based adhesives like the 2 below
Beacon adhesive 'foam-tac'
Bob Smith Industries 'foam-cure'

Safe on all foams also, carbon fiber and wood. Flexible enough to use for hinging, and stronger than the foam substrate (same as GG). Not messy at all on your hands.
downside: does not fill gaps, not as readily available.

Overall the silicone adhesives are easier to work with and since they don't expand will stay put once you set the joint, whereas the GG must be secured or lightly clamped). Foam tac is the only glue I use besides CA. Your plane is not chuncked up ,you would be fine with any of these 3 options and no the nose wont tear off again at that joint, if you break it it will split elsewhere

Happy Flying
I use many different adhesives for various applications. To me, foamcure gets a bit too brittle. The one I hanen't tried yet is foamtac. Would you say it remains more flexible (like E600-not foamsafe)?
gsrlandworks is offline Find More Posts by gsrlandworks
Old Feb 22, 2014, 10:18 PM
Joined May 2011
7 Posts
I use many different adhesives for various applications. To me, foamcure gets a bit too brittle. The one I hanen't tried yet is foamtac. Would you say it remains more flexible (like E600-not foamsafe)?
gsrlandworks is offline Find More Posts by gsrlandworks