HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:03 PM
ten ton hammer
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Discussion
In too deep

Hello everyone I'm new to the website and rc boat hobby. I have a aquacraft nitro hammer that's stripped down too the bare bones and ready for paint.

So here is my question I've bought paint at the lhs but how should start sand, primer then paint. For sanding I have red scotch bright pad and 400, 600, 1000 grit paper. I also have pure denature alcohol should I use this stuff after sanding to clean the surface with or will soap water work.
extragreaseplz is offline Find More Posts by extragreaseplz
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:56 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
The Tamiya paint isn't fuelproof, unfortunately I know as a guy at a LHS told me it was so I was dumb enough to listen to him.
Top-Flite's Lustrekote works much better and will handle more nitro than what they say on the can. They don't have the big variety of colors they used to have but it won't run down the sides of your hull if nitro hits it. If you get some, use the white as a primer, not their primer white as it's tough to sand and the regular white covers your gel-coat better.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:21 PM
ten ton hammer
Joined May 2013
3 Posts
Okay I will order some of top paint tonight they have a clear coat too. Also when I sand it should I start with the 400 grit or red scotch bright pad.
extragreaseplz is offline Find More Posts by extragreaseplz
Old Jun 20, 2013, 01:45 PM
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
2,940 Posts
You shouldn't need much in the way of prep work, mostly just wiping it down with a solvent or dish-washing soap to remove any oils or fuel. You can lightly sand it if you wish for better paint adhesion.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson