HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Sep 2011
182 Posts
Discussion
Predator drone crash

well we just had a maiden of our homamade predator.....we think that the wing may have fractured check it out what do you think

RC Predator Drone Crash.....FAIL!! (2 min 54 sec)
freddy99 is offline Find More Posts by freddy99
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:12 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,639 Posts
The picture is quite small, even at full screen, to determine what happened.

The fairly large turn radius of the spin would make me think the both wings where still intact. Do you think one side cranked up slightly ?

From the flying, i first thought the dihedral was increasing in the turns, but again difficult to judge.

Was there a loop at one point ?, very high up. As that would put a lot of additional stress on the wings, (wing joiner).

Is it reparable, what damage ?
eflightray is offline Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:43 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,358 Posts
I honestly cannot tell from the video. The plane was too far away. Yes the wing might have folded, but then it could have been far enough away for the RX to lose the signal or there was a brownout and the RX reset itself too. Or a servo quit working or something. Maybe a control link came loose or a control horn came loose too.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Sep 2011
182 Posts
We now believe after much study it was a linkage failure on one side of the v tail. One piece of linkage was not found and it fits that up elevator would have caused the spin. The plane has been rebuilt and flies well with no signs of instability.

PREDATOR DRONE (1 min 39 sec)
freddy99 is offline Find More Posts by freddy99
Last edited by freddy99; Jan 21, 2013 at 11:03 PM. Reason: fixed url