HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 09:32 PM
Videographer/Product Reviews
Joined Oct 2012
1,774 Posts
Hey Dave:

I noticed that your build includes Turnigy Plush 18A ESCs.

Are those two thick for the frame. I thought Tim says nothing over 10mm.
daskim is offline Find More Posts by daskim
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 10:49 PM
I'm New
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined Mar 2012
719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Hey Dave:

I'm using 30am plush, the actual esc first perfectly with zero room to spare. but I had to remove the capacitor since that is the only factor that would make it not fit.
unfaix is offline Find More Posts by unfaix
Old Nov 01, 2012, 01:41 AM
FPV junkie
United States, UT
Joined Jan 2011
3,406 Posts
ordered mine
m_beeson is offline Find More Posts by m_beeson
Old Nov 01, 2012, 02:22 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2009
732 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daskim View Post
Hey Dave:

I got 30A escs in by removing the shrink wrap off the capacitor

25's fit the same way...

18's fit easy
juz70 is offline Find More Posts by juz70
Old Nov 01, 2012, 04:32 PM
KK4LIK
United States, GA, Ocilla
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Thanks for the heads up on the prop adapters! I WAS going to go home tonight and start cutting stuff up!
theSouthGA is offline Find More Posts by theSouthGA
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:04 AM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Sep 2010
359 Posts
Guys who are running the MT-4006 motors...are you setting your ESC timing to High?
sickwitit is offline Find More Posts by sickwitit
Old Nov 04, 2012, 06:32 PM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Got my QAV up and going yesterday! I'm very happy with the frame, just trying to get my naza settings right. I'm kind of sick of the naza as I feel it limits the frame's capabilities but I have one set up on another quad frame and thought it would just be easier to do another build with the same FC. I wanted to get a cc3d but production is done on those and folks are moving on to something better. I'm just concerned that I wouldn't have the technical ability to program one of those new OP Revolution Kickstarters and what I would have to do to have atti hold, gps, rth, etc. I am willing to invest in one but not sure how it will affect my system as a whole. The Kickstarter is only about $100 but is it one of those systems where you have to stack/add boards? any ideas? I want the best performance and stability out of this this quad.

Blue Skies!
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:30 PM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Well... I'm over looking for an new FC. I've been playing around with my gains and I've got this exactly where I want it! What a B-E-A-utiful quad! I can't wait for some more free time to get it out and let it really run.
Old Nov 08, 2012, 09:47 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2012
300 Posts
Would you be kind enough to share yr settings from yr naza
Plumbr is online now Find More Posts by Plumbr
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:22 AM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
I'll post em next time I have it hooked up but from what i can remember right now (i think)... my pitch and roll are variable (on a knob) but I have it marked at 120 for light wind/basicflying. I just changed my att from 100 to 130 but haven't ran it hard on that setting yet. My roll is set at 140 per someone elses recommendation due to the quad's short roll axis. It seemed spot on. Also, I double checked the CG position for the gps antenna and "moved" the imaginary z position, to measure from, of CG up to the third plate from the bottom plate which helped in GPS mode. Also, I have no expo set on anything and rarely fly in manual. Most of my flights are at moderate speeds in atti but as I have it set right now I would feel really comfortable trying to max it out.
Just remember thats to my liking and might not suit your needs.
I did find that if you adjust subtrims in the digital settings on your tx during calibration it reduces drift significantly. Just adjust them until the green center tab stops wiggling/vibrating. wash, rinse repeat until its just right. I did mine/doublechecked about 3-4 times before they went completely static.

Best of luck!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:14 AM
Joined Sep 2004
135 Posts
Anyone run the QAV500 with the Hoverfly Pro board and their GPS? Will they fit?
webgeek is offline Find More Posts by webgeek
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:45 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
Hi All,

Great thread with lots of great information here.

I want to give a big shout out to Tim Nilson for not only a beautiful product, but the 1st class customer service he has given me, whilst considering the purchase and setup on the QAV500.
When you are located on opposite sides of the globe and on vastly different time zones, that can be difficult, but Tim has been superb.

I have to also confess I have been inspired by the work of juz70. Like many of you I am sure, I have watched probably all his videos, some several times. Clearly a proficient pilot, but also has the eye of a photographer (which is my craft / trade). Big respect from me to him.

I am a fixed wing guy who has done a fair amount of FPV work, but have only just decided multi-rotors are the way to go for high quality aerial footage. My lady very kindly bought me a Flame Wheel 450 with Naza FC and GPS. I built it less than a week ago, went a flew it and knew this multi-rotor business is for me. Its a great machine, but in my opinion not for achieving high quality video.

My research led me to the QAV500 and I ordered it and all the associated bits / electronics today. I am real busy at work in December, so it will be a Christmas and New Year project for me when I have a few days off, but I am super excited about the build, getting her up in the air and most of all, sharing some videos that I create.

Cheers.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:40 PM
KK4LIK
Joined May 2012
91 Posts
Finally got my 1.3 on the 500 today!

Got my 1.3 set up on my 500 today and tested my groundstation equipment. Refined my naza settings but now I'm realizing this thing is not designed to creep. It wants to MOVE! Now I just need time to test...

Here are some Pics. I dont have my SP antenna mounted until flight. Its too fragile for my hangar....
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:46 PM
FPV Racer - N4FPV
United States, GA, Kennesaw
Joined Sep 2009
861 Posts
QAV 500 Night Shift

I have customized my QAV to have two servo driven (rotating) 1300 lumen headlights controlled by an RC switch and side sliders on a JR 9503. I am stepping the 14v off the board down to 3.7v to drive the headlights. They each have a CREE XM-L Led with heat sync for 2,600 lumens. Now I am building custom servo mounting brackets and clamps in hard plastic to lighten things up a bit.

I call it the QAV 500 Night Shift - more footage to follow.

QAV 500 Night Shift (1 min 38 sec)

Eddie
Eddie James is offline Find More Posts by Eddie James
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: CavCam, Inc.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:11 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,543 Posts
My QAV500 arrived today. Wow! Looks sensational! Just need some time for the build now.
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member