HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2012, 10:57 AM
Seriously Undermedicated
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Discussion
Another Maiden Adventure - A Short One...

Ok, I'm an experienced pilot and flight instructor but have never flown an R/C aircraft other than little heli's like the mcx2. I know from real flying that the cheapest place to learn is the simulator, so I ordered the Phoenix sim and spent some time flying and learning to land the funjet (closest thing I could find to the Skyfun). No one here to help me so this was all self-taught. Once I was comfortable that I could probably get it off the ground and back reasonably safely I took my shiny new Skyfun model out to the field, did the range check just like it said in my DX8 manual, advanced the throttle and gave it the heave. Got the plane up and into the downwind ok. It wasn't real pretty, but otherwise fine so far. I had it leveled off in the downwind, it was building speed and I was about to start trimming and adjusting when the canopy came off and took off half the prop. Didn't know about the utterly worthless canopy clips on these planes. Oh well. The CG was aft without the canopy so once I chopped the throttle I lost control and never really got it back. Luckily it came in on it's belly so the damage was limited to the broken prop and where the canopy got chewed up a bit. Rest assured it will be better secured next time. Just waiting for the free time and good weather for round two. Glad I found you folks, now I know where to come and ask questions.

Here's the video:

Skyfun maiden minor catastrophe (0 min 28 sec)

BruceN
BruceN is offline Find More Posts by BruceN
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Greve Strand
Joined Oct 2008
83 Posts
Hi BruceN
Welcome to the RC world
Thats not too bad a start, i am sure a lot of people in here can tell you
much worse storys about their first flight
But youre on the right way, spend some more time on your flight sim until your
ready for your next flight
If possible keep filming your flights (maybe put a cheap keyring cam on the plane) That will help you analysing the flight, both the good and the bad
Looking forward to your next attempt
Have fun
Regards Jan
might is offline Find More Posts by might
Old Mar 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Seriously Undermedicated
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks, I'm pretty excited about it.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:47 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
At least it looks like you have a nice area to learn in.

I thought as a real pilot I could just go out and fly, but the "Coming back at Ya Thing" was tuffer than I thought!.
So I got a sim and practice on everything, inc warbirds, aerobatic and jets, then turned up the sim speed to 120%.
Then I went out and had no problems with a 45mph Flying Wing.
So I learned that over-training was the secret.

And as you have learned, having everything work as well as the sim also helps!
I've had several canopys and batteries depart inflight. There are some real strong, but small magnets that do a good job of holding the canopy on. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Mar 01, 2012, 04:57 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
"That's not good!"

At least she didn't say, "I told you so!"

shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 02, 2012, 07:27 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
For a beginner not the easiest ship to fly, actually you did rather well. I had more luck with gliders at the start, perhaps a high wing has some stable feel for easier recovery. Having a sim is great, you'll be flying in no time. Keep at it eventually get there. If you do run into a seasoned flyer will get more stick time with fewer misshaps and things correctly intrim is near mandatory, makes life easier. I did learn mostly by myself, but graveyard of planes was the price. Hope you can find someone to smooth the learning curve.

Note, sometimes I can make correct trim inflight, but if things are way off I just stick it home and make corrections on the ground, your busy enough in the air keeping things flying.

Many neat models out there, favored is the Flyzone Corvalis, is low wing, unbelievable majestic barrel rolls, even lights for dusk or night flying as enjoy, but it's The Landing With Flaps where it shines, no grass lander here please, drops like a cotton ball onto the pavement just give her room, stillinlove with this beauty.

Flyzone Low Wing Corvalis Deadstick Landing Full Flaps (0 min 14 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 02, 2012 at 07:47 AM.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:17 AM
Seriously Undermedicated
Joined Feb 2012
5 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. Once I get the hang of it I really want to move into FPV and HD video, so I'm looking at a Zephyr II after the Skyfun. Actually I ordered a Bixler to learn on and ordered the skyfun about a week later to use as a sort of transition to the Zephyr. Some quirk of HK got the Skyfun here first and the Bixler has yet to show. I just couldn't stand waiting anymore so I went ahead and tried the Skyfun. Now I'm waiting out the crappy weather to try it again. Oh well.
Old Mar 02, 2012, 10:05 AM
Slow Flyer
sterling, Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
1,060 Posts
Ok, so you did order a glider, one of our flyers has that puppie with bigger motor has a blast with his. Zephyr could be an outstanding model, videos look cool.

I do fly the famed Stryker uncreadible fun with this one, I fly it on break.

Here's fun with the faster Q model, the cam flyer has the Unicorn wing, larger beast, can't wait to see it fly.

Parkzone Stryker F27Q Passes Jet Pusher RC (1 min 49 sec)
wnppmy is offline Find More Posts by wnppmy
Last edited by wnppmy; Mar 02, 2012 at 10:16 AM.