HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by twinkle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 09:53 AM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
432 Posts
Discussion
Solid winged slopesoaring gliders

Many years ago a young Chris Foss the man behind Chris Foss Designs apppeared on the local slope clutching his new design a solid wing balsa rc glider with 2 channel radio control . That must have been in the mid seventies at 6ft span (1.8metres )with its narrow wing the aspect ratio was 18;1 it became a great success and was kitted by micromold a local company
with its original 6mm thick wing, it flexed and how and the mk 2 model appeared on the slope with a 10mm thick wing carved from 100mm x 900mm balsa sheet with a spruce spar. Now over 30 years later I decided to build my own from what I remembers of the original and a few modifications ofcourse.
Here it is modified and brought into the 21st century with flapperons and just a hint of dihedral with 4 servos and rx and a 900mah nicad it weighs 24 ozs. The wing loading coming out . You guessed it to 12oz sqft its great in most conditions
and we use it to go for a walk along the downs ( some call it crosscountry)
the nicads give a good hour in flight and the upward deflections of the flapperons
kills the lift for a landing steeper appoach . it looks nice in the air and although the wings have a little flex in them, they haven't broke yet
finished in doped tissue with a little trim , it looks the business in the sky
The high aspect ratio wing adding to it's grace .
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 03:30 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,277 Posts
Wow , thats as big as my fox glider but the wing profile looks a lot thinner.

Very nice.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
It can't rain all the time
United Kingdom, Peacehaven
Joined Mar 2009
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scousethief View Post
Wow , thats as big as my fox glider but the wing profile looks a lot thinner.

Very nice.
at 100mm chord length and 10 mm thick its a 10% section and an aspect ratio of 18:1 the washout is built in to the tip by chamfering the underside of the tip.
twinkle is offline Find More Posts by twinkle