HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:59 AM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Scott, the FPV stuff is crazy for sure. What Rx frequency are you flying 2.4 or 72? From all of my research lol I've decided to try 72mhz RC control and 1300 Mhz for the VTx. I bought the 800mw 1300Mhz VTx from Urbandrones and the matching receiver and the blue beam antenna set. Then ordered the Sony 600TVL camera as a starting point. Still going to put the go-pro on the plane to record, but won't hook it into the power at all which I think makes wiring a bit simpler.

this is my shopping list

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4008

On the beginner thread, the good Colonel posted a wiring diagram showing where you might want to put in a LC filter and some a torrid as a starting point.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4040

instead of making my own LC filter, I ordered this one http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...7&cat=0&page=1

Some of my stuff from HK finally arrived, so hopefully if I can get some time to work on the plane and get in the air before I grow old...

-Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:54 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckace1 View Post
I ordered a new fuse for my EZ as I have the blue wings and tail feathers that I wanted to keep as they provide better lift and flight over the grey.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
The white ones have the best lift.
You guys make this way too difficult. It's just basic aeronautical engineering...

If the BLUE wings provide better lift than the GREY wings, you just paint the GREY ones BLUE! And if you want the BEST lift, you paint them WHITE.

Just ask Jürgen . He knows all about this stuff.

Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:00 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
6,107 Posts
I have all three colours EZ*s and for me it seems that the white wing one is the best floater.
But it could be that it is new, not been crashed, clean, no heavy extra glue, was built light, No decals stuck on, no extra carbon re-enforcing,
Flypoppa is offline Find More Posts by Flypoppa
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:22 AM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
I have all three colours EZ*s and for me it seems that the white wing one is the best floater.
But it could be that it is new, not been crashed, clean, no heavy extra glue, was built light, No decals stuck on, no extra carbon re-enforcing,
Nah! In the white ones the little foam bubble thingies are filled with helium. But that's a trade secret, shhh!

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:16 PM
Gravity? No, the Earth sucks
United States, IA, Des Moines
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_NJ View Post
Scott, the FPV stuff is crazy for sure. What Rx frequency are you flying 2.4 or 72? From all of my research lol I've decided to try 72mhz RC control and 1300 Mhz for the VTx. I bought the 800mw 1300Mhz VTx from Urbandrones and the matching receiver and the blue beam antenna set. Then ordered the Sony 600TVL camera as a starting point. Still going to put the go-pro on the plane to record, but won't hook it into the power at all which I think makes wiring a bit simpler.

this is my shopping list

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4008

On the beginner thread, the good Colonel posted a wiring diagram showing where you might want to put in a LC filter and some a torrid as a starting point.

Some of my stuff from HK finally arrived, so hopefully if I can get some time to work on the plane and get in the air before I grow old...

-Scott
i have hitec optic 6 radio 2.4ghz
I dont need very long range. as I mainly just want to fly more precisely when I am following someone else- so as to video them- may fly under a bridge or some little stunt- I will still fly gopro as well for good video so don't need the best resolution fpv camera-
what are you using for a display?
scottdearinger is offline Find More Posts by scottdearinger
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
You guys make this way too difficult. It's just basic aeronautical engineering...

If the BLUE wings provide better lift than the GREY wings, you just paint the GREY ones BLUE! And if you want the BEST lift, you paint them WHITE.

Just ask Jürgen . He knows all about this stuff.

you guys are way behind the curve, for the best lift you paint the top of the wings black- this causes the air in the foam bubbles to heat up- thus boosting lift like a hot air balloon- also the bottoms should be white or mirrored, and you shine a searchlight on the plane and lift is increase by photonic reflection-aka solar sail- for even more photon thrust swap out the search light for a 5000 watt laser- simple physics-lol.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:05 PM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Of course, at least in the USA, the proper EasyStar wing color depends mainly on whether the pilot is a Yankee or a Confederate...

...or, surrendering (if you choose white...).
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:40 PM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaurak3 View Post
Of course, at least in the USA, the proper EasyStar wing color depends mainly on whether the pilot is a Yankee or a Confederate...

...or, surrendering (if you choose white...).
Is that the French version?
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
RC Geek
United States, NJ, Stanhope
Joined Dec 2004
813 Posts
Scott,

For a display I am going to use a 9 inch monitor thati have from a two screen DVD setup for the car. I still need to test it to see if with a bad signal it goes static or blue screen. Static is better for obvious reasons.

In 2.4 ghz I would check with the thread and see what video frequency they suggest. The knock seems to be that 2.4 ghz systems don't glitch, they get to a point and then drop connection without much warning.

Scott
Scott_NJ is offline Find More Posts by Scott_NJ
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:22 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by G550Ted View Post
Nah! In the white ones the little foam bubble thingies are filled with helium. But that's a trade secret, shhh!

Ted
The blue ones crash more.

Just gotta hit the can. (0 min 57 sec)
Old Feb 25, 2012, 06:42 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa View Post
Or for simple minded people like me. It just weighs less than the other colors.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
OFF TOPIC POSTER
Des Moines IA
Joined Dec 2005
4,828 Posts
1st place ribbons are what color nuf said.

I purchased a new fuse and new servos but they are 12g servos should I worry about the weight increase of the larger heavier servos?

Is liquid nails still the best glue for bonding the fuse?

I'm also using my old tail feathers any concerns there that I should look at.
eckace1 is online now Find More Posts by eckace1
Old Feb 25, 2012, 08:35 PM
Why so serious?
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:

I purchased a new fuse and new servos but they are 12g servos should I worry about the weight increase of the larger heavier servos?

No. I use large ones also.

Never knew it was. There's this new stuff called "CA". I hear it's good.

I generally don't look at old tail, only younger ones.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:23 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,733 Posts
Quote:

It's been so long since I've used Liquid Nails that I had forgot about it. Welder glue is now my choice on this kind of foam.

Ted
G550Ted is offline Find More Posts by G550Ted
Old Feb 25, 2012, 09:24 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,214 Posts
I started the repair on my EZ* today and decided I didn't want a FrankenStar like Eckace's plane so I just ordered a new kit and carefully cut out the components so the plane could be mounted and displayed like the You tube star that it is- I will hang it proudly from the ceiling right above my 3rd grade bowling trophy (inside my indoor BB gun shooting range)

I am starting to dream up paint schemes- flourescent pink and chartruse? Pink and purple?
and of course Eckace's phone number in case I hit something or someone..

I guess when we fly tomorrow all our only options will be- Radians,P-51 mustangs, Slowsticks, Dandysports, strykers, Soar Sticks and wild wings. Pretty limited,,lol
Last edited by scottdearinger; Feb 25, 2012 at 09:30 PM.