HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:48 AM
United States, TX, Pearland
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
Thanks, I have come to the conclusion that I will have to build a box. I have no problem doing that. My only concern is getting the proper location for the prop. I was counting on using the marks on the firewall but will loose those when installing the box.

I dont suppose you have the dimensions on the 110 box, do you?
k5nwz is online now Find More Posts by k5nwz
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Hello from Denmark.

Just want to contribute with my experience with the T-craft.

I maidened her 3 weeks ago and have had a couple of flights since then. Im very happy about this plane.

My setup:

Emax 5335/10, aprox same weight as Power 160 but with a 230kv rating
CC HV 110 ESC
19x10 Xoar prop
2x 5S5000mAh

With the batteries all the way up front by the firewall, the plane balances without any lead.
The motor hangs in adjustable aluminum standoffs from Dualsky.
I havent measured it yet, but the plane has sufficient power (very clos to being able to hover) and motor, ESC and batteries are only slightly warm after landing. Im not sure of flighttime. At first it felt kind of short but it feels like the batteries is getting into the game, and now I dont think about the flight time as being too short. I guess Lipos need breaking in.

Nicolai
Nicolene is offline Find More Posts by Nicolene
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
... In case someone is interested... :-)

Nicolai
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:47 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
And this is my way of mounting the batteries. The wooden stick goes though the circular hole in the firewall and is kept down in the back by the velcro strap. Simple, but it works.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolene View Post
... In case someone is interested... :-)

Nicolai
Where did you find your motor mount extensions and how long are they? I have everything in place, just looking for these motor mounts.

Thanks so much in advance

Shawn

Houston, Texas
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k5nwz View Post
Where did you find your motor mount extensions and how long are they? I have everything in place, just looking for these motor mounts.

Thanks so much in advance

Shawn

Houston, Texas
Hey Shawn.

I found the extensions in a LHS here in Denmark. I dont know where you can get them in US, but here´s a link to the manufacturer:

http://www.dualsky.com/product.asp?p...d=128&lid=141&

Im sure you and Google can find them in US.

I dont remember how long my extensions are, but the nice thing about this product is that they are adjustable within limits and in increments of 2mm. What I did was to mount the cowl, measure the distance from the firewall to the opening in the cowl. From this distance i subtracted the length of the motor and X-mount. This distance should be the length of the extensions and I could choose the version that fitted best. The last adjustment was done by adding or removing the spacers that come with the product.

Hope it helps. Otherwise just ask again :-)

Nicolai
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:26 PM
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
Thanks, I have been looking for about a month now. I just didnt want to reinvent something that already works. Your input and photos are very helpful and appreciated. I will be adding my picture of my build soon. Still waiting on some parts to come in.

Thanks again

Shawn
Old Oct 07, 2012, 03:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Im glad I could help :-)

You can repay me by exporting some of your weather.... Autumn has come to Denmark with a lot of wind and rain and theres a real risk that the next flight with the T-craft will be in the spring.

Looking forward to your photos. What is your setup?

Nicolai
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:38 AM
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolene View Post
And this is my way of mounting the batteries. The wooden stick goes though the circular hole in the firewall and is kept down in the back by the velcro strap. Simple, but it works.
Thats awesome. I like this method. Looks like there is little to no butchering. Did you flank the batteries with foam so they dont slide side to side? Do you take them out to charge them or did you wire in access?
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
I have only removed the two pieces of ply that surrounds the tank. Looking at the structure i decided it wouldnt have a critical impact on the strength of the structure. So far time has proved me right.
I was very lucky with the battery compartment because my batteries fits exactly. Theres absolutely no movement in the fore/aft direction. Sideways the batteries can move but the battery retain device mechanism (the stick :-) ) puts enough pressure on the batteries that some force is needed to make them move. Ive decided to put two foam pads on both sides of the batteries to be on the safe side. So far ive flown without foam without any problems.
Last edited by Nicolene; Oct 08, 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Oh forgot: i charge the batteries outside the plane. Its not the easiest plane to change batts ive owned but with a little practice it only takes me a couple of minutes for a complete change.

Nicolai
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:25 AM
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
I guess I will just have to wait until the motor is mounted and the batteries come in. CG will play a roll in my placement choice. SO how do you feel about charging in the plane? Risk of burning it down? Heat?

I'm also concerned Im under powered with the Eflite Power 110. Everyone else is using a 160.
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Oct 2012
51 Posts
Quote:
I guess I will just have to wait until the motor is mounted and the batteries come in. CG will play a roll in my placement choice. SO how do you feel about charging in the plane? Risk of burning it down? Heat?

I'm also concerned Im under powered with the Eflite Power 110. Everyone else is using a 160.
I personally wouldnt worry about charging in the plane. When taking the normal precautions when you charge i cant see why the risk should be greater than when you charge outside the plane. But i prefer to charge outside to minimize "downtime". I can swap batteries in a couple of minutes but charge in about 20.
I wouldnt worry about power either. The power 110 is a faster motor (higher kv) and by using 8S and same prop you will experience aprox same powerlevel. Theoretical your motor will be slightly warmer due to its lower weight. I run a Power 110 on 8S (but with a 16" prop) in my Pulse 125 xt and it consumes aprox 1700W. It gets only slightly warm. By the way my T-craft almost hovers with my setup, so these motors have huge power. I honestly dont think you will want more power. But maybe theres someone with real experience out there? But you will likely need some lead in the nose with the lighter motor though.

Nicolai
Old Oct 10, 2012, 10:01 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Apr 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
I haven't put mine together yet, but I bought this XX-Large motor mount kit from Tower. It has a lot of standoffs of different lengths so I'm sure I'll find a combo that fits the TC.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXYCG0&P=0
ckankel is offline Find More Posts by ckankel
Old Sep 27, 2013, 11:46 AM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2010
468 Posts
Still flying my TC it's a blast to fly and still gets lots of attention at the field. Here are a couple of photos showing the TC in it's bush attire.
motor12 is offline Find More Posts by motor12