Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi Maraste View Post
Engine Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 2836-1500 Brushless
Plush 60A Brushless Speed Controller
Servo Hitec HS-55
Rangelink system
Great paint scheme. Love to see people customizing the plane, it's so boring when it's naked/white
I caught hell from friends for painting mine with stealth colors because it cannot be seen against the sky well when flying LOS. It was built specifically for FPV, why would I need to ever see it?!
G25 in background still getting good use?
Alpha1actual is offline Find More Posts by Alpha1actual
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:00 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Well, the rest of my FPV assembly station arrived in the mail today!. Soon my new Raptor will be ready to fly!. I used to do this stuff on my wifes dining room table (when she was not home). But now with this assembly station ready to go I bet these type of jobs will be a little easier! . I have all the factory servos replaced with digital ones. I wish to paint the bottom of my Raptor black so it can be seen easter in the sky. Does anyone know of a black spray paint that can be used on foam without damage?. I would use a air brush as to use as little paint as I can to save weight . I will be installing the FrSky 8 channel Receiver and the Guardian stabilization system this week. Then all that's left is to figure out how to do all the settings on my 9X radio to control it all.
VID00456 (0 min 36 sec)
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Last edited by goldsworthy; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:07 PM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Krylon Fusion works well. I'd still use a plastic primer but it's not truly necessary w/ Fusion paint. Research the black paint before spraying. Certain black paints contain carbon. Carbon can block video signals.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:12 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I wish there were some frame by frame photos of the settings for this Raptor using the 9X radio. It would be nice to be able to view a step by step photo or video of all the settings.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
1,446 Posts
There is nothing specific about the raptor when it comes to radio settings. If you didn't have the flight stabilizer, then you should just look for a generic 4 channel setup.

I see this TX is a bit more complicated to set up than most.. I found a manual for it..
Check the FILES tab for the ENGLISH manual in this link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

Is the 9x radio you have, compatible with the FrSky receiver? I think you need some type of module that plugs into the TX for that.

Anyway, would this link help http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1456

If that one doesn't maybe other searches in that 9x forum will help you.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:29 AM
Sweden Malmoe
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1actual View Post
Great paint scheme. Love to see people customizing the plane, it's so boring when it's naked/white
I caught hell from friends for painting mine with stealth colors because it cannot be seen against the sky well when flying LOS. It was built specifically for FPV, why would I need to ever see it?!
G25 in background still getting good use?
Thx m8

Yes the G27 getting good use here GranTurismo 5
Pasi Maraste is offline Find More Posts by Pasi Maraste
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:29 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFocus View Post
There is nothing specific about the raptor when it comes to radio settings. If you didn't have the flight stabilizer, then you should just look for a generic 4 channel setup.

I see this TX is a bit more complicated to set up than most.. I found a manual for it..
Check the FILES tab for the ENGLISH manual in this link:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html

Is the 9x radio you have, compatible with the FrSky receiver? I think you need some type of module that plugs into the TX for that.

Anyway, would this link help http://9xforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1456

If that one doesn't maybe other searches in that 9x forum will help you.
I guess you didn't notice the added monitor in the video. My 9X already has the FrSky module installed. How else could I use the receiver in the video? I really don't plan on long distance FPV I would be happy with LOS flying and recording. I believe the equipment I have now, should be more than enough for my intentions. I am using the Guardian stabilization system so it will be working the poor servos hard and fast. This is why I installed the digital servos I have 2 batteries that will be running together to power everything . I hope to have at least a 10- 20 minute flight when fully charged. I know the equipment I installed will use more power than a stock Raptor does but the plane should give me less trouble flying in windy conditions, and the Guardian should also help with smooth landings and take offs even with a strong cross wind. The added external BEC should help with power to all components and make it less likely to have a "brownout" during flight. If my ESC fails in flight the BEC also will provide me power to all servos so I can have a dead stick safe landing. The ESC provided power is only 3 amps where the added BEC will provide 5 amps with a 7+ amp short peak voltage. I am new to this and this is my first plane so I have much to learn from all you experts here!. I have been taking my time collecting these components and hope that I will be rewarded with a fun and trouble free flight or 2 before I crash it!!!
VID00452 (1 min 16 sec)
Last edited by goldsworthy; Jan 27, 2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:50 AM
Joined Nov 2012
1,446 Posts
Sorry, I don't watch most of your videos. Just too many.. Its hard to determine which ones are asking a question and which one are general commentary..

From your repeated question on setup of the 9x, I had assumed you didn't have it working yet. Often 'general' request for help are difficult to answer because there is no starting point of reference. If you try to do the setup, and run into a specific issue, then it is easier for others to give guidance. Since no one else responded I thought I'd try to help, even though I don't own the 9x, and I don't own the Guardian.. But I do own a raptor, and also have experience setting up systems that have flight controllers/stabilizers. So we may not be able to give you a fish, but maybe we can teach you to fish.

Maybe a first step for you is to plug the RX into the BEC, ESC, rudder, elevator, and aileron servo y cable. (no need to install it in the plane permanently just plug it in). Remove 2 of the 3 motor wires for safety for now.
If you installed flaps, go ahead and hook that up too.

At this time I would have the servos installed/mounted, but not have the servos connected to the control surfaces just yet.

When you have this all plugged in, do all of the servos work? In the proper direction?
When the sticks are centered, no trim, and no sub trim (elevator, rudder, aileron), the servo horns should be as close to 90 degrees as possible, so that you'll get equal throw in both directions.. Flaps are exception because you generally only have them move in one direction, from normal postion to down.

If the horn is way off, remove it, and re-attach it as close to 90 as possible.

Once they are close to 90, then you use sub-trim in the radio to make them 90 degrees.

Check the servo moves in the correct direction. I may require reversing in the radio..

Then you can connect the servos up to the control surfaces..
The next part is to generally ensure the servos don't try to throw to far and bind up. This is where you use end point limits in the TX..

Now that you have all of this working, insert the guardian into the equation. I see that there is a manual and setup video for it here : http://eagletreesystems.com/guardian/

If you run into problems or things are not working the way you think they should, then let us know what your symptom is. Your experience with capturing videos will also be huge help.
InFocus is offline Find More Posts by InFocus
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:35 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
HEY! what is the little black soft piece in the Raptor kit? where does it go?
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:52 AM
Joined May 2012
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
HEY! what is the little black soft piece in the Raptor kit? where does it go?
Posting and You (4 min 8 sec)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:12 PM
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2010
505 Posts
Hey Alpha1actual, I think we both use EZosd?
Can you help me out a bit if so?

What does the information on the right of the RSSI mean?
There is a picture of an antenna that displays 100 most of the time. Is that the signal reception or do I watch the RSSI value?
Then there is a number in the middle with the word "bad"?

I can't figure out what my RC signal reception really is... how does it look?

Raptor Plane Testing Winter 2013 (0 min 0 sec)
SimpsonJ is offline Find More Posts by SimpsonJ
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:01 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
What is the little black soft piece in the Raptor kit shown here and where does it go to on the plane? THANKS!
VID00459 (0 min 15 sec)
Last edited by goldsworthy; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpsonS View Post
Hey Alpha1actual, I think we both use EZosd?
Can you help me out a bit if so?

What does the information on the right of the RSSI mean?
There is a picture of an antenna that displays 100 most of the time. Is that the signal reception or do I watch the RSSI value?
Then there is a number in the middle with the word "bad"?

I can't figure out what my RC signal reception really is... how does it look?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtRGkt5zyVc
Looks to me that you might be over the legal altitude of 400 feet!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:31 PM
Sweden Malmoe
Joined Dec 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
What is the little black soft piece in the Raptor kit shown here and where does it go to on the plane? THANKS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUXRW...ature=youtu.be
I think it is anti vibration between the camera mount and aircraft
Pasi Maraste is offline Find More Posts by Pasi Maraste
Last edited by Pasi Maraste; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:37 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:36 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasi Maraste View Post
I think it is anti-vibration between the camera mount and aircraft
Thanks! I guess I wont be useing it then.