HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2011, 03:31 PM
Joined Oct 2004
600 Posts
Discussion
25k, 50k, and 100k distance pins.

On May 22 Nathan Miller flew his MXC 110k.

This was done south of Griffen Georgia on a course that the local glider club set up.

Nathan will receive all three pins for this great flight.

The application and verification of the flight was very well done by Burt Watkins.

It takes most of us years to achieve the 100k pin so good for you Nathan.

See xcsoaring.com for pin information.

Regards Dean
DEAN GRADWELL is offline Find More Posts by DEAN GRADWELL
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1 Posts
Are GPS tracks available

This was a great accomplishment, and I would love to see the result of such an effort. Do sailplanes carry a GPS to track these flight. I see that there is an RC Online Contest but most are from Europe. Does anyone in N.A. do this sort of thing.

Aspiring rc sailplane flying
Larry Bogan
soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by soaringpilot
Old Aug 01, 2011, 09:52 AM
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Sep 2005
260 Posts
Yes, it was a great accomplishment. To do this on the East side of the country is quite a feat given the lower thermals and the difficult country roads.

Yes, they carry GPS. There are GPS data loggers available for around $125 that can record several days of flights for later viewing on a computer.

As for online contests, there's a large difference in the weather and terrain suitable for long XC flights across the USA. A 30 mile flight on the East coast is an amazing flight. On the West coast it's just another contest day. So to have a postal or online contest for the entire country would be tough to make fair. Keep an eye on Dean's GPS triangle racing thread. This may turn out to be a popular means to race on nearly any glider field without the need for a crew, convertible, and a huge race course. With the right hardware in place it may even become a spectator sport.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringpilot View Post
This was a great accomplishment, and I would love to see the result of such an effort. Do sailplanes carry a GPS to track these flight. I see that there is an RC Online Contest but most are from Europe. Does anyone in N.A. do this sort of thing.

Aspiring rc sailplane flying
Larry Bogan
ThermalSeeker is offline Find More Posts by ThermalSeeker