HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Discussion
Fancy foam EPP Edge 540 or Yak 55. Please help me decide !

I want to order an EPP plane to practise new 3D aerobatics since I really don't want to crash my precisely built depron model. I am stuck between two choices, the Leadfeather Edge 540 or the Yak 55. I would just like to get some opinions for these two planes before I finally decide.

Also, I want to make the plane as light as possible. Would the plane still have good power and flight time if I use a 360mah battery and 19 gram motor ?

Thanx
DaN_Th3_MaN is offline Find More Posts by DaN_Th3_MaN
Last edited by DaN_Th3_MaN; Jun 16, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
DaN,

I have both planes (32" w.s.) and find the Yak 55 smoother to fly. I use a 26-28 gram Blue Wonder for power (1300Kv).

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...lectric/Detail

I don't think a 19 gram motor will put out the wattage when equipted with a 9" prop...I could be wrong though. I use a 460 milliamp/hr 3s battery and get a around 10min. of flying time. I have tried a 360 milliamp/hour battery with success and found flight time to decrease proportionately (smaller fuel tank). A friend has used 9" props of varying pitches with a 2s 460milliamp/hr with great success doing hovers and knife edges etc.

You have to have the power (wattage) available with a 9" prop to hold the weight of the plane in strange positions (8-9oz AUW, 7-8 if you're really good) and overcome gravity but no more than necessary. To much extra power means unnecessary weight from the windings and motor stator.

Read Tallflyer's thread on the SuperSlo 28" build secrets in the Scratchbuilt section. The planes are close to the same size and the SuperSlo builders try to get the plane in at 7oz AUW. They started using the Blue Wonders from day one and the thread makes an interesting read for Yak and Edge builders looking for ways to cut weight.

Good luck! Both are excellent planes and Mike is great to deal with...go to your local Staples and pick up a sheet of white construction board to make templates of which ever plane you decide to buy. Never hurts to have a template when you want to build another one.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Last edited by hankg; Jun 16, 2011 at 02:27 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:47 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I agree, I have the Edge and Yak as well and the Yak is a little easier to learn on. I use the 19g motors with a 8" prop and 2S/360mah batteries on my indoor planes that come in at 6-7oz and they have good power. For the 32" Yak I think I would go with a Blue Wonder (we have them on sale btw) or a Turnigy 2730 from Mike.
WickedFunRC is offline Find More Posts by WickedFunRC
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Latest Video's
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
I was thinking of using three 5 gram servos, 6 gram 8 amp esc, a 8X4.3 GWS prop and 4.5 gram receiver (can't remember the make). All this together with a 360 mah battery and 19 gram motor Im pretty sure I can get enough power.

Thanks for your input, I think im going to go for the yak 55 since I see more people seem to like this plane better. Ill also take a look at the Scratchbuilt section.

Thanks again
Old Jun 16, 2011, 02:54 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Awesome, if you keep it light (like it sounds like you will) you will be very pleased with that combo.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 16, 2011, 03:00 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I agree, I have the Edge and Yak as well and the Yak is a little easier to learn on. I use the 19g motors with a 8" prop and 2S/360mah batteries on my indoor planes that come in at 6-7oz and they have good power. For the 32" Yak I think I would go with a Blue Wonder (we have them on sale btw) or a Turnigy 2730 from Mike.
I want to build this plane as light as I can, so im going for the same equipment I use for my indoor depron models except the battery and motor. If you say the 19 gram motor is fine then I think I will go with that. I might also try using the plane with a 250 mah battery which is 8 grams lighter than the 360 mah, but I don't think the flight time will be great. My goal is to try get this plane at around 180 grams or less, otherwise I don't think it will be worth it.

Any idea if I have a chance of getting it to that weight ?
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:07 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
Dan,

Did you ever consider building it out of 6mm, 1.9# EPP. You're going to have to use some 1mm carbon rod on the tail anyhow for tail twist if you really fly it aggresively. Use 3mm carbon flat edgewise in the wing and on the front of the wing and 1mm in the elevator and rudder and you might be close. If you get a little wing twist use 1mm diagonally under the wing. Just a thought.

Regards,

Hankg
Old Jun 16, 2011, 04:46 PM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hankg View Post
Dan,

Did you ever consider building it out of 6mm, 1.9# EPP.
Hankg
Yea that would be great but I have no Idea where to get that type of foam. Not only that but Im not too keen on cutting out all the foam and all that, but if I can get hold of that foam I might just consider scratch building.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
DaN,

If you live in the states, you can get it along with the carbon flat and rod from www.rcfoam.com. Once you've built one, you'll find there is nothing two it. Leadfeather's yak55 build thread is fairly straight forward. Whichever way you go, good luck to you.

Regards,

Hankg
Old Jun 16, 2011, 07:16 PM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
I also sell EPP foam, and carbon, and that motor.

I built a 29" Clik with the 19g motor, lightened ESC and receiver, 360 2S packs and 5g servos with 6mm 1.9# EPP and it came in at just under 160g. In all honesty I would build the 32" with 1.3# 9MM the weight gain is very small over the 6MM.

Kevin
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com

Here is an old video of my Clik for reference. I live at almost 5000 ft altitude so power is a bit down as well.

29" EPP Clik 12-6-2010 (6 min 7 sec)
Site Sponsor
Last edited by WickedFunRC; Jun 16, 2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 11:20 PM
It's Just Foam!!!
Canton,Ga
Joined Apr 2010
948 Posts
Dan,
In the "Scratchbuilt Foamies" section is a HUGE thread on the Yak 55. Several different sized planes posted. You might consider the 30" Yak and cut it yourself. That might help keep the weight down for you.I built a couple at that size, and they flew really well.
EZglider is offline Find More Posts by EZglider
Old Jun 17, 2011, 06:15 AM
Joined Nov 2009
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by khen View Post
I also sell EPP foam, and carbon, and that motor.

I built a 29" Clik with the 19g motor, lightened ESC and receiver, 360 2S packs and 5g servos with 6mm 1.9# EPP and it came in at just under 160g. In all honesty I would build the 32" with 1.3# 9MM the weight gain is very small over the 6MM.

Kevin
http://www.rcplanebuilder.com
I also think I would rather go for the 1.3# 9MM foam since the main point of me getting this plane is so that it can take some beating. I am ordering everything together from Fancy Foam so that I dont have to pay twice for shipping if I buy my parts at seperate stores. But I took a look at your website and the batteries are at a great price. Do you ship to South Africa ? If so how much for shipping ?
Old Jun 17, 2011, 08:38 AM
Utah USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,236 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaN_Th3_MaN View Post
I also think I would rather go for the 1.3# 9MM foam since the main point of me getting this plane is so that it can take some beating. I am ordering everything together from Fancy Foam so that I dont have to pay twice for shipping if I buy my parts at seperate stores. But I took a look at your website and the batteries are at a great price. Do you ship to South Africa ? If so how much for shipping ?
We're not set up to ship to South Africa on the site yet, but if you want to PM me your address information and the batteries/qty you'd like I can quote you a price.
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 07, 2012, 10:12 AM
Gaui X3, RTF Mini Quad
United States, MO, KC
Joined Jun 2011
3,525 Posts
This would have been great info when I bought my Edge 540 in spring break 2011...
BladeScraper is offline Find More Posts by BladeScraper