SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Halifax
Joined Oct 2011
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
I've got a DX8. I'm using much tamer settings for now. I've currently running this setup:

Aileron - 30% DR and no expo
Elevator - 30% DR and no expo
Rudder - 100% RD and no expo
Throttle Curve - 0,50,80,90,100
Pitch Curve - 30,43,50,75,100
Pitch Travel Adjust - 85

With this setup I find that with very small movements on the left stick the heli will drop and climb pretty quickly. It hovers pretty nicely just above mid stick but it's very touchy on either side.

So I think I need to slightly adjust my throttle and pitch curves but I don't know which ones takes priority? I would think I would lessen the steepness of the pitch curve between points 3 and 4 (to somethign like 50,65 or 50,70) but then I do need to increase my throttle curve at those two points or what?
with this little bird I'd suggest getting the head speed to full rpm, I changed mine to 0,55,100,100,100, then you are just altering pitch whilst flying and makes switching to 3d mode is smoother
BenScoobert is offline Find More Posts by BenScoobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:07 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
I've got a DX8. I'm using much tamer settings for now. I've currently running this setup:

Pitch Travel Adjust - 85

With this setup I find that with very small movements on the left stick the heli will drop and climb pretty quickly. It hovers pretty nicely just above mid stick but it's very touchy on either side.

So I think I need to slightly adjust my throttle and pitch curves but I don't know which ones takes priority? I would think I would lessen the steepness of the pitch curve between points 3 and 4 (to somethign like 50,65 or 50,70) but then I do need to increase my throttle curve at those two points or what?
If you want it less touchy vertically your curves below mid are too low and the high point is a bit high unless you want that upper stick pop.

If you want to keep negative pitch move the points up to 42 ish-45-50-65-80ish. If you want more upper stick pop add 5 or so at a time to the last two numbers. If you dont need or dont want negative pitch something like 50-50-50-65-80ish will be much less jumpy
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenScoobert View Post
with this little bird I'd suggest getting the head speed to full rpm, I changed mine to 0,55,100,100,100, then you are just altering pitch whilst flying and makes switching to 3d mode is smoother
100% throttle is a good idea. Get the RPM/inertia up there and keep it there... Then all you have to worry about is pitch settings and you just "get what you get" when it comes to head speed. Again, it really doesn't matter as long as pitch doesn't bog the head/motor too much at full positive and negative pitch. You can't damage this head by "overspeeding" it. The dark days of grip bearings failing and blades flinging themselves off the heli are long gone.
kokopelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopelli
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:15 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:49 PM
Joined Mar 2007
107 Posts
Quote:

Pitch Travel Adjust - 85

Also, make sure your pitch travel adjust is the same for + and -. It's an easy thing to miss when setting up the dx6i and can definitely cause the collective to be "jumpy". When setting pitch travel adjust, make sure you do it with the left stick (collective) all the way up and all the way down and adjust both numbers to the same value.
StangGuy is offline Find More Posts by StangGuy
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
You made some false statements (that the V2 hardware is different and that most V2s have shaking issues), and now you get upset when people correct you on it? If you want people to act professionally towards you you'll need to reciprocate. (Though I do agree with you that when people appeal to their post count as an authority, that is pretty lame).

The bottom line is that there's no reason not to get a V2. Any shaking issues you may hear about are just as likely to occur with the V1.
Not something I'd normally do (for example, 500 vs 1000 vs 3000 has little meaning), but when someone has fewer than 10 posts and just registered this month, I think it's worth pointing out, especially when they are making completely inaccurate statements.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Jan 05, 2012, 12:53 PM
United Kingdom, England, Halifax
Joined Oct 2011
180 Posts
Quote:

Pitch Travel Adjust - 85

I've just opened up my dx6i and adjusted the throttle stick to virtually no resistance, I think that may help you with the jumpyness too?
You don't have the ratchet still on from plank flying do you?
BenScoobert is offline Find More Posts by BenScoobert
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
USA, KY, Hebron
Joined Dec 2005
2,730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMull View Post
1. If the heli vibrates/shakes and has no seen cause and has been seen more than once...i wouldn't buy it.

2. The reason you have 1600 posts is from posting one reply and then posting a separate reply on another whole post. So u only have about 200-600 posts.

But then again I believe an immature individual like you doesn't have a large enough brain to comprehend how to do this.

3. You are a child. Just cuz i am new to the forums doesn't mean i don't know what i am talking about.

But then again who are you gonna trust the tool trying to get a laugh out of you or the person who wants you to avoid having a problem that many people have experienced and to avoid having to go to the trouble of returning/exchanging the product.

I was expecting these forums would contain a lot of friendly professionals offering help like koko. I guess not.

l just put out my opinion and if you change to the fast flight blades you cannot do aerobatics which is the point of the heli. I know that the vibration occurs with the hi-performance blades and the point of using these blades is to do aerobatics and you cannot do these tricks what is the point of buying it?
Please don't pop in here with false information and expect to be well received. As others have stated, there is no fundamental issue with the V2 mCP X. What you witnessed sounded like something as simple as a set of blades that weren't correctly balanced. A quick call to Horizon would bring another set of blades to your door in a few days if that were the issue out of the box. Further, I would think an experienced user (your friend is "quite experienced"?) could troubleshoot such a simple issue.

Personal attacks (immature, child, tool) are not allowed on RCGroups. We try to keep this a professional, friendly environment. Please familiarize yourself with the forum rules. Your post has been reported.
habitforming is offline Find More Posts by habitforming
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
100% throttle is a good idea. Get the RPM/inertia up there and keep it there... Then all you have to worry about is pitch settings and you just "get what you get" when it comes to head speed. Again, it really doesn't matter as long as pitch doesn't bog the head/motor too much at full positive and negative pitch. You can't damage this head by "overspeeding" it. The dark days of grip bearings failing and blades flinging themselves off the heli are long gone.
Good idea. I'll set my throttle to 100 across the board and then only play with my pitch curve to see if I can get it more comfortable.
turnerm is offline Find More Posts by turnerm
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:04 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Geez, guys, give it a rest already... Put each other on y'all's ignore list or something.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
Also, make sure your pitch travel adjust is the same for + and -. It's an easy thing to miss when setting up the dx6i and can definitely cause the collective to be "jumpy". When setting pitch travel adjust, make sure you do it with the left stick (collective) all the way up and all the way down and adjust both numbers to the same value.
This really wouldnt be a factor even if his travel was neg 65 / pos 80 as The travel adjust is the end points of the curve. His issue is more the pitch curve itself and is why it drops and climbs quickly

On a similar note the best way I have found to figure out max possible travel per pos or neg pitch is to max out travel and then back down until it almost doesnt bog at all on a pitch pump in while holding it in your hand.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:05 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Good idea. I'll set my throttle to 100 across the board and then only play with my pitch curve to see if I can get it more comfortable.
Nice! You'll see how easy it is when all you have to tinker with is the pitch curve. I still recommend getting used to hovering at 3/4 stick if you want to eventually fly this thing to its full potential.

Also, do you know how to use the other flight modes other than "normal", also called "stunt mode" or "idle-up"? You'll still want a throttle curve that has zero at the bottom for takeoff/landing. Set that throttle curve in "normal" so you can stop the blades when it's on the ground.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
If you want it less jumpy I would leave it as you have it and adjust your pitch curve. Faster is more stable but less forgiving too...

I am surpised no one else is telling you that you have too much negative and too much positive pitch on your normal curve..specially if you are using 30% rates and trying to get a mellow flyer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:09 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokopelli View Post
Nice! You'll see how easy it is when all you have to tinker with is the pitch curve. I still recommend getting used to hovering at 3/4 stick if you want to eventually fly this thing to its full potential.

Also, do you know how to use the other flight modes other than "normal", also called "stunt mode" or "idle-up"? You'll still want a throttle curve that has zero at the bottom for takeoff/landing. Set that throttle curve in "normal" so you can stop the blades when it's on the ground.
I think the way I have it now it hovers around 3/4 stick so I should be OK. I'll just keep playing with it while making sure I'm hovering at 3/4 stick.

I've done some flying around in Idle Up (100 across the board on throttle curve) and I was fine with it.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 01:11 PM
Gone Huckin'
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2011
9,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If you want it less jumpy I would leave it as you have it and adjust your pitch curve. Faster is more stable but less forgiving too...
Thanks. I'll experiment and see what works. But I did fly a few packs with my throttle curve at 100 across the board and I was OK with it.

The only thing I probably need to do is to ensure that I don't have too much negative pitch below mid stick so I don't accidentally put it into the ground at full speed when I try to chop throttle. But I'm pretty good with the throttle hold switch so I should be OK