SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 14, 2011, 09:15 PM
MSR Crasher
Wyoming
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Discussion
Just rebuilt half of my msr...wow what a difference!

New swash plate, flybar, tail motor, tail shaft, tail fin, body, and links. I cannot believe the difference it is like a completely new helicopter. I never really got a chance to see how if flew when new because the very first flight I thought I knew what I was doing and crashed it in to a wall at full speed messing up the flybar, and swash plate. I popped the swash plate back in and put a new flybar on and it flew ok. After another week or so of flying I broke the tail fin and it would flop around and flying it was a challenge. The fin finally broke all the way off and I kept flying it just for the increased difficulty. The swash plate would also pop out a lot and was very loose. I'm glad I made the trip up to the hobby store today.

Hopefully though flying the disabled little heli will have better prepared me for when my 4#6 gets here sometime next week. Every move that I made with it would be countered with some sort of mystery maneuver that I had to counter in order to avoid a crash. Now though I can actually land it where I want and the other people in my living room don't have to tremble in fear of tiny little blades spinning wildly out of control.
Jameslt1TA is offline Find More Posts by Jameslt1TA
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2011, 03:52 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
How much did you spend on all those parts? For $80, I'd just buy another complete BNF airframe and have a second flyable helo...or a complete set of spare parts. The $80 version doesn't have a charger or batteries, but you should already be set with that...
sviking is offline Find More Posts by sviking
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:06 PM
MSR Crasher
Wyoming
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
The total came out two 56 dollars but that is because I bought two swash plates. I really thought about just buying another heli...now I'm really not sure why I didn't lol.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:18 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameslt1TA View Post
The total came out two 56 dollars but that is because I bought two swash plates.
Next time, do yourself a favor and drop the 18 bones on a CNC aluminum swashplate. It's worth every penny and it will last forever, especially on the mSR. I ALWAYS upgrade to a metal swashplate on any helo that comes with a POS plastic one.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:39 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jan 2011
1,349 Posts
The price for a new 5-in-1 board makes me wonder the same thing. When you can get an Aircraft Only version for $90, or just the 5-in-1 for $60, granted, it's 50% more, but you get a spare of everything. A new tail assembly by itself is $15, you're halfway to making up the difference. It makes the 5-in-1 price seem pretty high.
RedOctobyr is offline Find More Posts by RedOctobyr
Old Jan 16, 2011, 07:40 PM
Suspended Account
Prescott, AZ
Joined Jan 2011
2,380 Posts
Yup, and with BNF airframe only mSRs as low as $80 now...it's an absolute no brainer to just get a complete new helo.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 01:33 AM
MSR Crasher
Wyoming
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sviking View Post
Yup, and with BNF airframe only mSRs as low as $80 now...it's an absolute no brainer to just get a complete new helo.
That's exactly what I will do when I get the money. Then I'll have my old one for a complete set of spare parts!
Old Feb 06, 2011, 01:53 AM
MSR Crasher
Wyoming
Joined Jan 2011
109 Posts
Went to Hobbytown today and all they had was a BNF msr. The 5n1 was completely shot on my MSR. The shop actually agreed to buy back the charger from me for 30 bucks and I got to keep the spare parts and batteries. The BNF was $105 so I got a new heli for $75 and they have me two $5 off coupons for my next purchase. It flies so great, a brand new heli and the dx6i, I can fly pretty fast circuits in my living room. Even though I have a 4#6 the msr is still a blast, I can't fly the 4#6 nearly as fast as the msr.