SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Apr 20, 2013, 07:58 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
Discussion
Witespy Flip Pro Flight Controller

The Witespy Flip Pro adds additional capabilities to the original Flip controller board. Although it is designed for high performance aerobatics, the small and light form factor is also a great choice for mini-copters.
  • CPU speed 16 MHz
  • Invensense MPU6050 6-axis combined gyro and Acc
  • Flash size 32kB (3.3kB of Bootloader)
  • 6x high-res RX inputs (2 AUX channels)
  • PPM RX support
  • Spektrum Satellite support (use a Satellite together with GUI)
  • 6-8 motor outputs
The ATmega32u4 processor uses the Arduino Leonardo drivers that can be found in your Arduino \drivers folder.

All the support files for the Flip Pro using MultiWii R2.2 can be found here. When using a regular receiver, add the AUX2 define for pin D17 in the code and use the channel wiring as shown below.

Installing drivers for the Arduino Leonardo ATmega32U4 USB Communication under Windows 7 or XP
  • Plug in your board and wait for Windows to begin its driver installation process. If the installer does not launch automatically, Navigate to the Windows Device Manager (Start→Control Panel→Hardware) and find the Arduino Leonardo listing. Right-click and choose Update driver.
  • If prompted to search for drivers online, choose "No, not this time". And click Next.
  • When asked to install automatically or from a specific location, select "Install from a list or specific location" and click Next.
  • Choose "Search for the best driver in these locations" and check the box "Incude this location in the search". Click the Browse button and navigate to your Arduino 1.0.3 or later installation. Select the drivers folder and click OK.
  • Now just click Next, then Continue Anyway when Windows complains about the drivers not being signed. After a moment, it will inform you that installation is complete. Click Finish.

Set the board for "Arduino Leonardo" in the Arduino Tools menu.

Note: The image below showing the Bluetooth connections has been properly updated to reflect the incorrect board screen.

Some images below from Paul and Soma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey
The newer Flip Pro v2 is now shipping with exactly the same features except for some power management stuff. Use the images below to install the zero ohm resisters or just solder a jumper.

If you want to power the board from the ESC, solder the jumpers like the board is pictured below. The bottom Pads are for the SPPM Rx (the pins next to it ), You do not need anything here if you use the other pins on the other side for your Rx power and Gnd connections.
Greg Covey is offline Find More Posts by Greg Covey
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Greg Covey; Jul 05, 2013 at 08:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Apr 2012
414 Posts
I would love to read a post from someone who has flown both and compares the two.
CraigVMN is offline Find More Posts by CraigVMN
Old Apr 20, 2013, 09:54 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
Here is my Flip Pro setup on the 235mm Micro Integrated PCB Quadcopter Frame.

Both the frame (w/ESCs) and the hexTronik 20gram Brushless Outrunners are available in the HK USA Warehouse.

The satellite receiver uses the quad power and motor pins as a platform and is held by servo tape. The Flip Pro board rests on a layer of servo tape and is held by 3M green automotive masking tape for easy removal.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Greg's Web Hangar
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Jun 2012
4 Posts
hi
is that flip pro can use satellite spectrum and blutooth connected with ??
unfranc is offline Find More Posts by unfranc
Old Apr 20, 2013, 11:54 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
There is not much to configure besides calibrating the ACC and setting your transmitter channels between 1000 and 2000. I set all 3 positions on my AUX2 switch to Horizon Mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 12:41 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Covey View Post
There is not much to configure besides calibrating the ACC and setting your transmitter channels between 1000 and 2000. I set all 3 positions on my AUX2 switch to Horizon Mode.
Greg, what is the difference between selecting only high and selecting all three (H,M,L) for either angle or horizon mode? With all three selected wouldn't it always be in horizon mode? Sorry for the noob question😁
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:11 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
cruiser73,

You are correct. With all 3 positions programmed for Horizon Mode, it doesn't matter which position I last left AUX2 in. I use the traditional Yaw stick to Arm and Disarm.

I don't use the other modes because Horizon Mode is a mixture between the older ACRO and ANGLE combining the stabilizing effect of calm R/C sticks and allowing for acrobatics. HORIZON MODE needs: gyro + acc sensors. HORIZON MODE = ANGLE MODE mode when PITCH/ROLL sticks are centered. HORIZON MODE= ACRO MODE when one of the PITCH/ROLL sticks are fully on one side (allowing flips).
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 01:16 PM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
My maiden flight was a success! It was actually snowing outside today and the wind was ridiculous so I tested the Micro Integrated PCB Quadcopter in my Living Room, and, of course my wife was out shopping.

Not a bad start for one hand on the left stick and the other on the camera!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2013, 02:42 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Apr 2012
1,495 Posts
Quote:
cruiser73,

You are correct. With all 3 positions programmed for Horizon Mode, it doesn't matter which position I last left AUX2 in. I use the traditional Yaw stick to Arm and Disarm.

I don't use the other modes because Horizon Mode is a mixture between the older ACRO and ANGLE combining the stabilizing effect of calm R/C sticks and allowing for acrobatics. HORIZON MODE needs: gyro + acc sensors. HORIZON MODE = ANGLE MODE mode when PITCH/ROLL sticks are centered. HORIZON MODE= ACRO MODE when one of the PITCH/ROLL sticks are fully on one side (allowing flips).
Cheers Grego😊 I use aux 1 for angle and aux 2 for horizon. I'll go your route and use the other for arming. Right now, I too use the yaw stick for arming and disarming.
cruiser73 is offline Find More Posts by cruiser73
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:21 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
Here is a short video of my Micro Integrated Quad using the Flip Pro board. I didn't think it could handle wind so well but the MultiWii R2.2 on the Flip Pro board was quite stabile!

FlipPro1 (2 min 30 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 28, 2013, 07:06 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,790 Posts
Thanks for starting dedicated thread on the Pro Greg. It will be good to have all the info here and avoid confusing the two.

Quote:
There is not much to configure besides calibrating the ACC and setting your transmitter channels between 1000 and 2000.
Remember with MW2.2 the failsafe is more strict. So if you are using failsafe make darn sure the radio values don't go outside 1000-2000 at all.

I tested a fc with Specky satellite, and without failsafe set it just kept going on its last trajectory. If that's full throttle, say bye-bye copter!
Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 29, 2013, 08:25 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
Soma,

Thanks for the heads-up on the fail-safe mode. I haven't played with it yet and this is my first quad using only a satellite.

The Micro Integrated PCB Quad gets small real fast for my old eyes so I don't expect to ever fly it too far away. Even so, it should be fun to set up and test out fail-safe mode.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 30, 2013, 02:51 AM
Joined Apr 2013
16 Posts
I'm still concerned about the the Pro being undervolted when being supplied from an ESC BEC.

But thanks for finally getting the support files for it posted.
BlueLineSwinger is offline Find More Posts by BlueLineSwinger
Old Apr 30, 2013, 07:59 PM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,790 Posts
I'd like to find a definitive answer to the Flip Pro power supply question.
I've quoted the relevant posts from the flip thread to have the info here...

* I'm interested if I can power the Flip Pro from 3S/2S lipo? I will be using a Spektrum satellite so RX voltage shouldn't be an issue.

* Also for 4S use, is there a way to short around the 5V regulator on the Flip Pro when powering it from an ESC 5V supply? (As can be done with the normal Flip by closing all 3 jumpers)

Big thanks to Blue & Moto for your input so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLineSwinger View Post
My phone can't take an adequate photo, as the print on the voltage regulators is too small and faint. I can tell you there are two voltage regulators. Each is from the AMS1117 family, one rated at 5V and another at 3.3V.

So far as I can see (the traces are very tiny and I don't have a proper magnifier), the 5V regulator's Vin is connected to the center pin (i.e., positive) for D9, 10, 5, 6, 11, 13 (the ESC connection points), as well as the RAW pin right next to D9. This setup is equivalent to closing JP2 on a NanoWii. A quick check with a multimeter confirms this. Going by the datasheet linked above the Flip Pro can accept up to 15V (I haven't yet had a chance to test out this setup. Don't blame me if it fries your board. I'd like to see some confirmation).

Vout on the 5 volt regulator goes to the ATmega32u4 Vcc, Vin on the 3.3V regulator, and maybe one or two other points I didn't bother with checking.

Vout on the 3.3V regulator is for the I2C bus, MPU6050, and Spektrum Satellite support.

Looking into the above I found what I believe to be a design flaw for the Flip Pro and probably the NanoWii (schematic here shows it has the same basic regulator setup, albeit using a different component). Any voltage regulator is going to have a minimal voltage drop between Vin and Vout. According to the AMS1117's datasheet it can be between 1.0-1.3V for that component. This means that when feeding the Flip Pro from the typical ESC BEC @ 5V, the maximum Vout of the 5V regulator is going to be 4.0V. This is not good. The typical 16MHz Arduino board supplies 5V to the CPU.

So, I took some measurements while the Flip Pro was connected to a single ESC and no other components:
5V regulator Vin: 4.97V (within expected range from an ESC's BEC)
5V regulator Vout: 3.90V (uh-oh)
Vcc (Pin 34) of the ATmega32u4: 3.90V (confirms the CPU is fed from the 5V regulator, not a good result)
Vcc supply for standard receivers: 3.90V (also not good)
3.3V regulator Vin: 3.90V (confirms the two regulators are lined up in series, as opposed to both feeding directly from the ESC)
3.3V regulator Vout: 3.24V (surprising, I expected no higher than 2.90V based on the datasheet's given spec)

Now, if I'm reading the datasheet for the ATmega32u4 correctly, at least 4.5V is required to run at the full 16MHz (5V being typical). With the CPU undervolted at ~3.9V I wouldn't be surprised if the flight controller is operationally challenged.

Based on this, I think it'd be wise to never rely on the ESC's BEC and instead supply directly from the LiPo to the Flip Pro (again, I haven't yet tested this setup, I accept no responsibility for your fried board).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto View Post
I've been running my Flip boards with the jumper hat shorts around the regulator closed. That gets the BEC voltage at 5V to all the components that need it. The regulator design on the Flip is an artifact of the original MultiWii designs that used the Arduino board's raw input, which is spec'ed at 7 volts or more for the regulator dropout voltage. It isn't correct for a 5V input.

The AMS117 is rated to 15V input, but there's also a power dissipation rating that's usually the limiting factor. Power dissipated in the regulator is (Vin-Vout) * I, so a higher input voltage drastically raises power dissipation. The thermal limit is 125C and thermal coefficient is 90C/W, so at 25C ambient the power limit is (125-25)/90, or 1.11W. So the current limit is 1.11W/(Vin-Vout). With an 8V (2S) input, that's 1.11/(8-5) which is 370mA. At 12V (3S), the limit is 1.11/(12-5), 158mA. That's probably enough current for the FC and receiver at 2S, but not at 3S. I'll continue to use the BEC supply and short the 5V regulator in the Flip board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto Moto View Post
Looking at this some more, some receivers will run on more than 5V. The Lemon Rx, for example specs 3.45 - 10.2V, so the Flip could be run with the jumper left as is, the BEC power disconnected, and a 2S battery connected to the raw power input which goes to the receiver and regulator input. The regulator could supply a full 5V at 370mA from 2S just for the Flip board and the receiver would not add to that load. I haven't tried it, but that's probably a good option, especially with low-current BECs like the Plush 6A since BEC power wouldn't be needed for the Flip.

This might also work on 3S if the receiver can handle that high a voltage input.
Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Old May 02, 2013, 08:05 AM
AMA 697691
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Aug 2000
8,817 Posts
I am not sure what your issue is with powering the Flip Pro board. The board has its own 3.3v regulator to support the satellite. You feed the board with an ESC BEC so it is up to the ESC whether or not it can handle a 2s or 3s LiPo supply.

Is the issue that some ESC BECs don't have a high enough voltage?
RCG Plus Member