HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2015, 04:19 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, GA, Savannah
Joined Sep 2009
484 Posts
Replacement Wing Set on the way!

Placed my order for a replacement wing set with Esprit last night. Can't be happier with their customer service! Anxiously awaiting their arrival.

Now I have to figure out what I'm going to do with the horiz stab pivot. Haven't looked at it real closely. Does the stock balsa pivot bushing wear out (elongate) or does it detach from the inside surface of the vertical stab?

I'm thinking maybe the barrel of a pop rivet, the right size, if available, might work. Depending on the failure mode. Remove the center pin and use the sleeve cut down in length as a bushing.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to work on the tail this weekend while waiting for my replacement wing set.

Updates to follow, thanks again guys at Esprit! Curt
cgetman02 is offline Find More Posts by cgetman02
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2015, 09:58 AM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Sep 2009
484 Posts
Horizontal tail pivot fix?

OK, this is what I've come up with so far:

A glass fiber servo arm micro screws above and below the pivot hole. Bonded to the tail with some kind of adhesive also. The screws will have to be short enough not to interfere with the internals. Just through the fiberglass.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:43 AM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
3,822 Posts
Prelude Project.

I am getting ready to put together my new Prelude. I have been looking at the recommended equipment from Esprit, however I do have some Horizon coupons available. What would be some suitable E-Flite equipment for the Prelude? This is my first glider project so I don't know where to begin to decide other than Esprits recommendations.
Electromagnetic is offline Find More Posts by Electromagnetic
Old Feb 17, 2015, 11:51 AM
Sailplane Mafia
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Jun 2001
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
I am getting ready to put together my new Prelude. I have been looking at the recommended equipment from Esprit, however I do have some Horizon coupons available. What would be some suitable E-Flite equipment for the Prelude? This is my first glider project so I don't know where to begin to decide other than Esprits recommendations.
You really don't need an E-Flite motor or ESC, they are overpriced and no better quality than a Turnigy Glider Drive and YEP ESC. In fact the Glider Drive motors are designed for gliders, the outside can does not spin and the wires come out the back which is a huge advantage when stuffing motors in the nose of a sailplane.

I used the GliderDrive 3850 with a 12x6 Graupner folding prop. YEP ESC 60 amp.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=71398
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
gquiring is offline Find More Posts by gquiring
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:02 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
3,822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gquiring View Post
You really don't need an E-Flite motor or ESC, they are overpriced and no better quality than a Turnigy Glider Drive and YEP ESC. In fact the Glider Drive motors are designed for gliders, the outside can does not spin and the wires come out the back which is a huge advantage when stuffing motors in the nose of a sailplane.

I used the GliderDrive 3850 with a 12x6 Graupner folding prop. YEP ESC 60 amp.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=71398
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
I like to buy most of my products from Horizon. I have many of their products, they are very reliable and when you do need customer support the issue is usually resolved satisfactorily. I do not shop at Hobby King.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 09:47 PM
Canada, ON, Pickering
Joined Nov 2006
703 Posts
Very funny, considering all of Horizon's products are produced either next door to or in the same Chinese factory as Hobby King, just a different reseller and you chose the overpriced one.

All my Prelude servos are Hyperion 9g metal gear ultralight servos Atlas DS09 AMD from Japan, I suppose Hitec 65 would do if you want heavier.
Esc definitely YEP, best I have had so far, large 6A BEC, very reliable. Burned many Castles and e-Flites in many years of electrics, don't trust them at all.
Motor , Glider drive 3850 is good, E-Flite Power 10 or 15 is ok but may need 4s, Power 25 is also good but a bit big and heavy for this one, not much choice in E-Flite line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electromagnetic View Post
I like to buy most of my products from Horizon. I have many of their products, they are very reliable and when you do need customer support the issue is usually resolved satisfactorily. I do not shop at Hobby King.
ddruck is offline Find More Posts by ddruck
Last edited by ddruck; Feb 17, 2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 05:25 PM
Ultra Violet
Joined Feb 2013
3,822 Posts
I have Esprit's equipment recommendations in a saved list. They recommend the regular folding prop spinner. I have the turbo style on my Radian Pro for ventilation. Should I go with that one on the Prelude also?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 06:22 PM
Thermal Seeker
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Feb 2011
4,941 Posts
Ventilation won't hurt especially if you fly in a hot climate. Personally I never run the motor for more than about 20-30 seconds. The MVVS motor I use will get it very high in that amount of time. It makes finding thermals almost too easy. I like the reward of trying to scrape lift from lower altitudes to start with.
electrich is offline Find More Posts by electrich
Old Feb 25, 2015, 09:47 PM
Sailplane Mafia
Joined Sep 2009
484 Posts
Going to Perry?

Anybody going to the swapfest in Perry, GA next weekend. We have a crew going on Saturday from Savannah. How about it Rich?

Curt