HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Discussion
HobbyTopGun DG808 S full composite scale 3m glider

Hi,

couldnt find anything about this yet so i'll just open a new thread. There is a new 3m full composite (even the wings) glider. Its currently available at Hobbyking (EU, UK, US and was in AU warehouse).

The description is pretty promising.

Features:
• Almost Ready to Fly - Complete final assembly, install electronics and fly
• Molded composite fuselage
• Hollow molded composit 2-piece wing
• Live hinge ailerons
• Large removable canopy hatch to access receiver, battery, and rudder servo
• Pre-installed servoless spoilers
• Heavy duty carbon spar with machined aluminum joiner
• Complete hardware pack

Specs:
Wingspan: 3000mm
Length: 1170mm
Wing Area: 41.8 sq. dm.
Flying Weight: 1700g
Airfoil: HQ2512

Does anyone have experience with this already? Looks like hobbytopgun is some kind of split off from FlyFly (the fuselage seems to be almost the same as on the 4m DG 808).

The price is pretty good for a scale gilder that is full composite.
Rangarid is offline Find More Posts by Rangarid
Last edited by Rangarid; Mar 11, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2014, 09:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Hobbytopgun makes good quality items for the price. I purchased one of the DG-808S from the USA warehouse just a few days ago; yes that is me posting the commentary about the quality and price and warning not to mention who the OEM is for the plane or HK would delete the post... they are so close to the vest about their suppliers and they should be!

I am still waiting for the plane to ship, but after searching the web, I have read nothing but good reviews about the plane.

I plan to just use it as a pure sloper and during the hot summers in Arizona, drive the 4 hours to the west coast and fly over at Torrey Pines, San Diego.

Once, I receive the plane and there is no other unboxing reviews, I will add it to this thread if you don't mind. Only 3 are showing in stock, and they are beating the price of Hobbytopgun's webstore: HTG wants $429 + $70 shipping to me, while HK wants $313 + $47 shipping... not sure why the difference but I don't mind at all! Just get me the plane for the price and quality and I am a happy camper!
yabe is offline Find More Posts by yabe
Last edited by yabe; Mar 11, 2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:02 AM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yabe View Post
I am still waiting for the plane to ship, but after searching the web, I have read nothing but good reviews about the plane.
I didnt find a single review. Can you link them?

Bought one from EU as well and its already shipped. I saw this plane already when it was listed. There it was 292$ + 7$ shipping, so i put it in my basket. Short time after that the plane was disabled and removed from the listing but i still had the order in my basket so i tried to order it. It worked but i did not pay until it was in the listing again. So i saved about 40$ compared to the current price.

Lucky me

What electronics you want to use?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:04 AM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
On the issue of FlyFly ... their stuff is good, but not that great. A lot of people will have to spend time heating the flyfly fuse to get the twist out, or to make mods to the flaps, or redo the canopy area. Howsoever for the price, they are great if you want to spend the time fixing them. I returned a plane to them after I received it partially built (it was supposed to be new in the box) and the ailerons were hinged so that they would bind with the wing when moving and there was a 3 degree offset of the rudder... after arguing with Flyfly I sent it back and paypal refunded me ... I was out of pocket $60 and will never buy their products again unless I have the product in hand and examine before handing over cash for it.

But they are a favorite here, so I best not speak ill of them; for the price its a good deal.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:11 AM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangarid View Post
I didnt find a single review. Can you link them?

Bought one from EU as well and its already shipped. I saw this plane already when it was listed. There it was 292$ + 7$ shipping, so i put it in my basket. Short time after that the plane was disabled and removed from the listing but i still had the order in my basket so i tried to order it. It worked but i did not pay until it was in the listing again. So i saved about 40$ compared to the current price.

Lucky me

What electronics you want to use?
I use Turnigy slim wing servos and so far so good never an issue with them. Futaba is my radio system. On anything of value I don't use my Spektrum system; mainly use it for park flyers.

Yes, you were lucky! Not sure what is going on with my order. I paid, they say just 48 hours or less for shipping but no tracking yet

Something I forgot to mention, HobbyTopGun is formerly FlyFly or a portion of it is anyways. Believe it or not, it changed names and I don't know the back story nor do I care ... I just want my plane :P

http://www.boarddigger.com/t-QnIIhqs...-not-know-this

So yes I am contradicting myself and buying FlyFly again ... the nature of the beast I guess
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
I have a feeling that if this plane had sold 10 years ago, 3 meters, fully molded wings and glass fuse, the price would have EASILY been $600 - $800.00 U.S.. Just my opinion ... get 'em while you can!
Old Mar 11, 2014, 10:16 AM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Well...mine should arrive until the weekend, so i can put some pics here first i guess. Lets hope the first batch of the planes is ok. Want to use it for slope soaring as well. If everything goes well and the wind is ok i can fly it next week.

BTW DG is manufactured in Bruchsal in Germany, that is about 20km away from where i live. So maybe i will visit them with my DG 808 and try to compare if it really is scale
Last edited by Rangarid; Mar 11, 2014 at 10:23 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 01:02 PM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Well...mine should arrive until the weekend, so i can put some pics here first i guess. Lets hope the first batch of the planes is ok. Want to use it for slope soaring as well. If everything goes well and the wind is ok i can fly it next week.

BTW DG is manufactured in Bruchsal in Germany, that is about 20km away from where i live. So maybe i will visit them with my DG 808 and try to compare if it really is scale
When you take if over to them, see if they ask if the manufacture paid the licensing fees before making the models
Old Mar 12, 2014, 02:43 AM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Mine is out on delivery. Will arrive today.

Ah btw i saw that there is a motor mount for the dg808 4m flyfly that can be screwed on top of the fuselage. Hope something like that works with the hobbytopgun version as well. Dont want to cut the nose and put a motor in there...
Last edited by Rangarid; Mar 12, 2014 at 02:54 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:30 AM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Quote:

Ah btw i saw that there is a motor mount for the dg808 4m flyfly that can be screwed on top of the fuselage. Hope something like that works with the hobbytopgun version as well. Dont want to cut the nose and put a motor in there...
The HTG version is through the nose.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:45 AM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Yeah i saw that already. My DG arrived few hours ago. My gf said the parcel is bigger than she is

Can post detailed pics in about 4h.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 11:53 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON
Joined Jan 2009
3,243 Posts
Quote:

I use that mount on a Fox Glider. You will need to drill a couple of holes and reinforce the fuse a little to take it.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:30 PM
Joined Aug 2010
178 Posts
Ok here are some pictures. Too lazy to write more stuff on it atm, so if you have questions just ask.

Overall quality seems to be ok, you have to do some optimizations though. E.g. the plate on one of the spoilers isnt perfectly leveled with the wing, but this can be bended so it fits again.

The wing joiner concept sucks pretty much in my opinion. You have to stick in one wing partially and plug in the wing joiner, then move in the second wing and screw it all together. Takes some time to put it all together and you need small hands
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:21 PM
wyong, NSW, Aust
Joined Apr 2005
325 Posts
Hi,

There is one major scale details they have left off and that is the flaps. The only single seaters made by DG without flaps is the 100 & 300 series.
glidesailrc is offline Find More Posts by glidesailrc
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:57 PM
Joined Aug 2012
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glidesailrc View Post
Hi,

There is one major scale details they have left off and that is the flaps. The only single seaters made by DG without flaps is the 100 & 300 series.

Yes, I was checking that out with the real one:

http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/index.p...lettertalent-e

I also noticed that on final, this glider will have momentum:

http://www.hobbytopgun.com/PC/DG808-M.htm (see video on this page)

But this is what I really want it for:

DG808 v3 (5 min 15 sec)