HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 12, 2013, 05:38 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
315 Posts
Discussion
Bearing Replacement

I recently received a Turnigy D3536/8 that needed the shaft pressed out the other end so the motor could be mounted behind the firewall. I have done this before with no problems. I have a floor mounted drill press I can use as an arbor press. I backed off the set screws and removed the Circlip. With the motor solidly supported I started placing pressure on the end of the shaft and heard a snap as the shaft started to move. For whatever it means, I did seem to be placing more pressure on the shaft than ever before.The motor was almost solidly locked up, but I did manage to work the shell off by hand. The bearing on the side opposite the mount has jammed. The other bearing is okay. Is this something I can replace here, or do I send it out somewhere for repair?

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:08 AM
ulpilotrmh
USA, FL, Tavares
Joined Sep 2010
315 Posts
Okay, I've watched the inov8tivedesign.com video showing how to switch the shaft so the motor mounts behind the firewall. Wish I had asked about this before I started. Now that I've ruined one of the bearings where should I look for a replacement?

Russ
ulpilotrmh is offline Find More Posts by ulpilotrmh
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:00 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulpilotrmh View Post
Okay, I've watched the inov8tivedesign.com video showing how to switch the shaft so the motor mounts behind the firewall. Wish I had asked about this before I started. Now that I've ruined one of the bearings where should I look for a replacement?

Russ
I have not seen that video and can't seem to find it on the Innov8tiveDesigns.com web pages. Do you know where I can find it?

Here are a couple of other good ones for reversing and replacing shafts and bearings:

How to Change the Shaft & Bearings in a Scorpion Motor - http://www.scorpionsystem.com/buildi.../change_shaft/

Maxx Products Tips & Tricks - www.maxxprod.com/mpi/tips.html

On almost every motor I've worked on the magnet housing and shaft will slide out of the inner bearing races without any need to use force. Then the bearings can be removed from the bearing tube by using a smaller shaft through one race and against the outer race at the other end, where it overhangs the inner bore, and applying some pressure.

Applying pressure on the inner race to move the outer race out of the pocket can be the kiss of death for the bearing as you learned I guess. Even if the bearing does not come apart, it will often be damaged.

I described the process for removing bearings from a motor, without damage, in this thread:

Outrunner Disassembly and Stripping - Gimbal Motor Rewind - www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1823636

That will get the bearing out without damage. The shaft is usually medium force press fit in the dome of the magnet housing and even after the grub screw is removed it can be a challenge to get it out without damaging or deforming the dome. I have a world class selection of various sizes of metal tubing. Those are just a little larger than the shafts and the shaft can be put into them so as to let the end of the tubing rest on something and the shaft can be pressed down into the tubing. That localizes the pressing forces right around the shaft and keeps the dome from bending.

My regularly used sources for bearings, alphabetically as I have used them all with satisfaction, are:

Avid RC - http://www.avidrc.com/product/1/bearings/

Head's Up RC - http://www.headsuphobby.com/Motor-Bearings_c139.htm

RC-Bearings.com - http://www.rcbearings.com/

If the bearings don't show any visible lubrication, put a couple of drops of any good oil on them befofre you install them. I use a pure synthetic motor oil on all my bearings because I always have it on hand. I often get criticized for recommending it because it has additives, will create bearing drag, is not specially formulated for brushless motor bearings, can result in pressure wave damage and erosion to the bearings, and other reasons. But the old machinist in my knows and happy bearing when he hears it and I cheerfully give up the tiny fraction of a HP I may be losing.

Good luck with it!

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
RCG Plus Member