HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:54 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,027 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flytahiti View Post
what is the temperature the escs can handle without problem?
I have flown mine at 100F with no payload. 4.65k AUW. Yes the esc's were hot but no failures or strange behavior. Next time I take it out in over 100 degree temps I will take my temp gun with me.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Polynésie française, Îles du Vent, Papeete
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
100F or 100C 100F is really not hot !!!!
flytahiti is offline Find More Posts by flytahiti
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
French guys were at 158 F this is hot
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:06 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,027 Posts
Quote:
100F or 100C 100F is really not hot !!!!
I am talking about ambient temps not esc temps.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
489 Posts
sorry misunderstood
Old Jun 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
France, Pyrénées Orientales
Joined Feb 2009
423 Posts
Quote:
French guys were at 158 F this is hot
Photo of the temperature sensor on the arm of S800 10 mm after hovering ( Celsius degre )

jdm66 is offline Find More Posts by jdm66
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:39 AM
Portugal, Faro, Loulé
Joined Jun 2012
359 Posts
Hi,
I am very interested in buying one of these S800 and here I was thinking about this problem of heating of the ESC's and vibrations of the engines. Everything must be connected.
With the heating of ESC's the supporting arm of the motor is more moleavel and causes vibration to occur are possible.

A solution that I liked that you guys try out to see if improved cooling would put metal washers in all ESC's cover, making a current of air and dissipating the heat that builds up there.
Like This:

If someone is willing to try to tell because I'm from Portugal and the climate here is very hot today is 35 º C.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm66 View Post
Hello

I think the S800 is a beautiful bird but I'm not completely satisfied.

1 - I have the same problem to fix the landing gear, I send an email to the company DJI with photos , the answer (there is no problem with , you incorrectly installed the landing gear ) !!!

I find this response Olé Olé after spending 2000 euro

2 - no battery support

3 - blades not balanced with different weights and impossible to balance at the hub

4 - heavy frame but not necessarily strong

5 - too much vibration in arm motor

6 - too much température Ecs

After several flights I observed that the motor vibrate much moving from a few mm !!!

If both arms side by side to vibrate together, the blades can touch them easily.

Just my analysis

jdm66
fsimao222 is offline Find More Posts by fsimao222
Old Jun 27, 2012, 10:52 AM
Austria, Niederösterr., Eggenburg
Joined Jan 2010
1,350 Posts
@fsimao222

Of course you can resolve the cooling problem by some actions (spacers here and there), but in this case the "out of the box" advantage is gone.

best regards

Ferdinand
EndOfDays is offline Find More Posts by EndOfDays
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:41 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Important info for you S800 owners!

http://photoshipone.com/06/djis800-c...esc-connector/
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Dec 2011
379 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
Important info for you S800 owners!

http://photoshipone.com/06/djis800-c...esc-connector/
Glad this was at least found, now folks can get it fixed.
shdwkeeper is offline Find More Posts by shdwkeeper
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
Love my Raven's!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shdwkeeper View Post
Glad this was at least found, now folks can get it fixed.
definitely is one cause of alarm, but so are 70+c temps on the esc's when not flying a heavy payload.

just some things that are to be expected with a new product.
The shakedown phase from all the beta testers (early adopters) are sure to find the bugs in any product
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Jun 27, 2012, 05:44 PM
Joined Dec 2011
379 Posts
Totally agree. There are always going to be some issues as an early adopter, and you have to know and expect this going in. The results are a version 2 of the product that will flat out rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryhavoc38 View Post
definitely is one cause of alarm, but so are 70+c temps on the esc's when not flying a heavy payload.

just some things that are to be expected with a new product.
The shakedown phase from all the beta testers (early adopters) are sure to find the bugs in any product
Old Jun 27, 2012, 09:25 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
8,027 Posts
I posted this in one of the other threads. Mine is fine, but I will replace the red connector when I have the time. Here is what I posted and the picture of my connectors to the pcb.

Here is what mine looks like. The solder joint is a little gray vs shiny silver. I know it is non-lead solder so some of that is expected. All my pins are solid. This was one of the first in the US so maybe the QC was better on the earlier models. When I have the time, I will replace the red connector. I have some 90 degree 3 pin connectors that will work better anyway. Got them for an ArduCopter IMU. Sparkfun still have them in stock. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10095
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:02 AM
Joined Dec 2011
379 Posts
I don't see the tips of the pins in that picture, shouldn't the pin tips be pushed through just a little bit, and solder should be on top of the pins. Plus some of the solder joints look flat and not that great (non-shiny). But it could be the photo. The solder joint on my battey cable connector is very shiny (mirror like).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
I posted this in one of the other threads. Mine is fine, but I will replace the red connector when I have the time. Here is what I posted and the picture of my connectors to the pcb.

Here is what mine looks like. The solder joint is a little gray vs shiny silver. I know it is non-lead solder so some of that is expected. All my pins are solid. This was one of the first in the US so maybe the QC was better on the earlier models. When I have the time, I will replace the red connector. I have some 90 degree 3 pin connectors that will work better anyway. Got them for an ArduCopter IMU. Sparkfun still have them in stock. http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10095
Old Jun 28, 2012, 11:57 AM
Orange County Ca
Joined Nov 2003
245 Posts
Hows your S800 flying

We have inspected the Header pins on our unit and have found no issue.
However we are getting quit erratic flight performance.
Currently flying with a dummy payload equal to a Z15w/camera and lens on 6S 10,000mah. Roughly 14 LBS AUW.
When flying in perfectly calm conditions the aircraft behaves somewhat normal and can be flown as shown in other POV videos provided it is not flown over about 10 or 12 MPH.
In winds from about 4MPH on up its an entirely different story. While in forward flight into the wind the aircraft will wobble somewhat while losing altitude, some times it comes down slow, sometimes it will just drop. You have to increase throttle a great deal to maintain altitude
While in a hover during wind gusts it will do the same thing. Again you have to increase throttle a great deal to maintain altitude
When this happens it appears that the motors are shutting off momentarily causing the aircraft to loose altitude. Increases in altitude gain only make it worse.
At first inspection it was thought the IMU might be coming in contact with the top center plate. This is not the case.

This is our 3rd WKM unit as we have had great commercial success with our other two units mounted on an octo and a small hexa.

Appreciate any feed back
Hangerash is offline Find More Posts by Hangerash