HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:46 AM
Der Schaum-Krieg-Vogel Piloten
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
How does the prop hold up? I will have the airfield version which has a foam cowl not plastic like the FMS.
Mine hold up really well, but with a couple of caveats.

I fly with the drop tanks on to act as landing skids. They do a pretty good job of keeping the blades off the ground. Secondly, I did a flap mod. The FMS P-51 lands very hot without them, 10-15 MPH is needed to avoid a stall. Prior to the mod, I was either snapping blades off, or if I tried to slow down more, it'd tip and cartwheel.

The flaps made all the difference in the world. I'd call it a necessary mod if you plane to belly land with the stock four blade prop...
FLTRI is offline Find More Posts by FLTRI
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:08 PM
United States, WA, Quincy
Joined Aug 2013
343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhodi11 View Post
How does the prop hold up? I will have the airfield version which has a foam cowl not plastic like the FMS.
I have to keep the nose high when I'm getting close to the grass, and I break them occasionally, but I tried putting the tanks on, and for me it didn't really help.
pshelton is offline Find More Posts by pshelton
Old Mar 04, 2014, 01:43 PM
United States, TX, Arlington
Joined May 2007
123 Posts
Get one of the old FMS 2 blade props and spinner. Still in stock at hobby paradise. They look and perform really well on the P-51.

Hobby Paradise FMS mini plane parts
uuc328 is offline Find More Posts by uuc328
Last edited by uuc328; Mar 04, 2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2014, 03:46 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2013
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uuc328 View Post
Get one of the old FMS 2 blade props and spinner. Still in stock at hobby paradise. They look and perform really well on the P-51.

Hobby Paradise FMS mini plane parts
As a matter of fact I did just that. I ordered a couple P40 spinners and several matching 2 blade props that I think must have been for the V1. It was red and spec'd for a similar plane and power plant so I am hoping it will be an option if I need it.
Bhodi11 is online now Find More Posts by Bhodi11
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:55 PM
Joined Mar 2014
23 Posts
Which one of these 750-800mm warbirds flies best on 2 cell batteries?

Before I switched to running 3 cells, I bought several 2-cell batteries that need a home. The P-51 I have seems to always be on the verge of a stall on 2 cells at anything less than nearly full throttle.
Mizer67 is offline Find More Posts by Mizer67
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:41 PM
Joined Dec 2013
268 Posts
Ok I must be stupid. Just opened up my new Shangri La and cant get canopy off. Looks like there is a tab in front. Magnets in back? Really really strong magnets?
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2013
635 Posts
And paint holding in place, maybe? Carefully cut around the seam so you don't pull off a big chunk of paint.

Had to do this on my FMS P51...
Old Mar 04, 2014, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2013
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post
And paint holding in place, maybe? Carefully cut around the seam so you don't pull off a big chunk of paint.

Had to do this on my FMS P51...
Thanks that did the trick. Plane looks freaking awesome! Makes me sick how much I paid for my Eflite P-51 280 after seeing this baby. Im going to have to pull motor and do a little trimming as it rubs and shave battery slot just a tad for my 1300mahs. The 800mahs I have just flop around. I will have to make a little wedge to keep them in. Not sure which will best for cg and flight times. Suggestions?
Old Mar 05, 2014, 01:56 AM
Joined Jan 2013
635 Posts
I get about 5:30 out of my 2S 1000's with ~300 in reserve when I recharge. Balance is perfect with battery all the way forward, no dead weight required...
Last edited by FLTRI; Mar 05, 2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2014, 02:22 AM
550 horses chasing the horizon
United States, MO, Graysville
Joined Aug 2013
223 Posts
The T 28 flies well on 2s.
crosswind_92 is offline Find More Posts by crosswind_92
Old Mar 05, 2014, 01:02 PM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,306 Posts
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hank View Post
Bhodi, i hope it flies well. It's a great feeling to be able to save a plane from the bin and fly it again

I've got a couple of really nice flights now with my modified V1 190, tried filming and flying at the same time and i thought i would share it with you guys. My opinion of this bird have changed a lot since i first got it. Back then i thought it had some slightly bad tendencies but now i just love it and even more with the mods. If anyone is wondering if retracts are worth the hassle to install in these small birds i would say that it is, imo it looks great and i don't think it made any difference in flight characteristics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HlTLAQmXDw
skymaxy is online now Find More Posts by skymaxy
Old Mar 06, 2014, 03:08 PM
Czech Republic
Joined Aug 2013
76 Posts
After two years, I have flown with the landing gear. The wheels are larger than the original, landing on grass is better.
mito_77 is offline Find More Posts by mito_77
Old Mar 09, 2014, 10:38 AM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
924 Posts
Maidened the 750mm V.2 Zero yesterday, and y'all are right, this one's a great little flier! Pretty smooth through the throttle range, although I noticed a tendency to constantly climb...to the point where hands-off loops were do-able! Didn't appear to be mal-adjusted to the up-elevator end, but trimming a lot of down-elevator got it going straight. Other than that, and the obligatory broken 7x6 prop, it's a great little flier, rank it right up there with my V.1 P47, which is one of my better fliers in my hangar...
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Mar 09, 2014, 09:44 PM
Joined Dec 2013
268 Posts
Maidened my new Airfield Shangri La P-51. Man that is one sweet easy flying plane. Couple clicks of elevator and she flew straight and level at 1/2 throttle. Ran 4 packs through and flew great. Have to work on landing though. I broke a 4 blade on what seemed like a slow soft landing. I also tried out a 2 blade and spinner from a V1 P-40, ran a little faster. I preferred the stability of the 4 blade stock prop the best. I used one of the Orange RX3SM for the first time too. Left gains at 50% on all 3 axis. To be honest it flew so well with it off it is hardly needed. I did however want the option to click it on under less than ideal conditions.

Maidened my second FW-190 V2 after the demise of my first. It sucked, no crashes but the tail is warped and one wing sits a bit higher than the other. Did not notice when I was getting it ready to fly but sure as hell did once it was up. I had to keep about 75% right aileron to keep it level. Talk about a tricky launch full throttle on 3S. It was like trying to fly a remote controlled bat lol. After 2 nerve racking flights and the realization no amount of trim or tweaking was going to get her to run right I put her back in the car in one piece. Im hoping Diamond Hobby will send me a new one.
Last edited by Bhodi11; Mar 09, 2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2014, 01:25 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Maidened the 750mm V.2 Zero yesterday, and y'all are right, this one's a great little flier! Pretty smooth through the throttle range, although I noticed a tendency to constantly climb...to the point where hands-off loops were do-able! Didn't appear to be mal-adjusted to the up-elevator end, but trimming a lot of down-elevator got it going straight. Other than that, and the obligatory broken 7x6 prop, it's a great little flier, rank it right up there with my V.1 P47, which is one of my better fliers in my hangar...
Thanks for the report, how did it feel in landing mode after the Trim adjust, do you think adding down/thrustline on the motor might help?
skymaxy is online now Find More Posts by skymaxy