HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 16, 2012, 08:28 AM
keep it simple...
Hungary, Pest, CeglÚd
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Video
Western River steam paddleboat

Let me show you the first run my Western River steam paddleboat. It has built since summer of 2009, and the process still ongoing.

Enjoy:

Western River steam boat.mp4 (6 min 30 sec)

(the upper superstructure was removed for the test run)

Best Regards Laszlo BORGULA, from Hungary.
Blac73 is offline Find More Posts by Blac73
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2012, 11:36 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,334 Posts
Very nice. At about 2:05 there is a neat reflection of the steam and the smoke stacks in the water. Very stately movement, plus a whistle, neat :-) Looked like the paddle was moved with a Pitman arm, very realistic.

There are methods that I've used to reduce the sound of gas poker-style burners (and also increase efficiency), if you are using gas. They probably would not work for pressurized alcohol burners, though I've not actually tried them. A ceramic burner works very well with butane, and is quite quiet, if that appeals to you.

Can you give us more details about your boat? What steam plant, how you RC-ed the whistle, what ship or plans you used for your design, etc.? . I started a thread for your boat over on the Steam boat forum, I am sure all over there would be very interested in more details:

Laszlo Borgula's steam sternwheel model
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719297
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Last edited by Brooks; Aug 25, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:09 PM
Just call me "Mo"
NE PDX OR
Joined Aug 2008
814 Posts
Perfect water for this type of boat and the reflections are incredible!!

Congratulations -
mogogear is offline Find More Posts by mogogear
Old Jan 07, 2013, 02:14 PM
keep it simple...
Hungary, Pest, CeglÚd
Joined Aug 2011
17 Posts
Hi Brooks,

Sorry I was quiet till now but I was never think there is anyone here in this forum intrested in my project. You can find some new pics in my thread.

About the plan, I could find it in a hungarian forum page and I can tell you I was love at the very first sigth!!! I started with full of energy but with know noting about steam ships. (I started my "RC carrier" as a "RC glider plane pilot". )

The Western River project has been started for 4 years.

Later I will send more details about the buildin project.

PS: The wristle operated by a 5grs servo via a thin rope.

All the best to you!

Laszlo Borgula.
Blac73 is offline Find More Posts by Blac73