Old Nov 05, 2011, 06:39 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Build Log
PLD-POWERBUS-MINI; Compact servo power bus board [SELLING]

We're constantly hearing about how servos are taking too much power out of our ESC BECs or how we need to isolate our servos from the RX to prevent them dragging it down and causing the RX to reboot/fail.

So now I've created the PLD "Powerbus Mini", it's a lot smaller than the usual 20~30 connector large-scale plane bus boards but it does still perform the same task in a very compact form factor.

The powerbus makes it easy to run your servos on a separate power supply.

Each channel has an optional LED to indicate connectivity to the RX, there's a pair of low-ESR decoupling caps on board to help keep the servos healthy.

There are 6 independent channels to use, you can use as many or as few as you need.

The board is a compact 1.2 x 1.3" in size and comes with 4 convenient mounting holes.

The plan is to have all the RX inputs wired in with male servo leads (about 75mm long should suffice), and then the servos will plug in to the Powerbus board directly. I'll try find some right-angle headers but they just don't seem to be available at places like Digi, Newark/Farnell/E14, RS or other western suppliers - might try Alibaba for some luck.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Last edited by PLD; Nov 26, 2011 at 01:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2011, 09:22 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Prototype boards have been shipped - I'm expecting about a 2 week delivery time.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 12:58 PM
Pitch - Roll - Y'all
St. Louis
Joined Oct 2001
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
. . . I'll try find some right-angle headers but they just don't seem to be available at places like Digi, Newark/Farnell/E14, RS or other western suppliers - might try Alibaba for some luck.

Paul.
Paul, have you tried www.jameco.com ?
Brian Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Brian Molloy
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:58 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Site won't come up yet for me; irrespective, I'd be very impressed if they had the 3x1 R/A headers, considering that no one else stocks them.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 07:34 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Circuit boards just arrived.

It's quiet compact. Still not quite sure how the market will react to this unit. I'm suspecting it'll only be very low volume and most people will go for the POWERBUS-A4.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:37 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
All done and working fine
Old Nov 26, 2011, 01:47 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
http://nqrc.com/?vp=PLD-POWERBUS-MINI $19.95
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:00 AM
Kihie, HI
Joined Oct 2009
48 Posts
Hi, just found this. Looks like a nice solution. Do you have any user reports yet?
wolfdown is offline Find More Posts by wolfdown
Old Dec 03, 2011, 12:03 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,377 Posts
Wolfdown,

Only just put these to market - no one has yet received theirs, other than my own here. I haven't even started marketing them yet

There's also the POWERBUS-A4 which I think might be more what a lot of people are looking for . Still no harm in offering mutliple different solutions

Paul.