HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:51 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
So I am pretty sure it is a case of rotor/blades not matching housing stator design which is causing the Lander to be louder, and not as effective, in the housings with less stator angles...
Maybe you could try to move the Lander rotor out so that the clearance to the vanes is identical to the CS rotor - I did move it out but it was still 3-4mm further in, compared to the CS position (which can be easily seen when using the same CS housing). Why should the Lander with almost identical blades (just thicker, cruder) need a radically different stator design?
thanks for the reports on your testing!
mopetista is online now Find More Posts by mopetista
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:54 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
9,463 Posts
Yes, all 6S

I have two of the 70mm alloy housing coming also, from RC Castle. Hoepfully they are more suitable!
Because Cyclone Power got those branded in their name (but you can see plain as day they come from the same place), AND they are the right dimensions for CS12-70 and Lander10 rotors (which are both the same diameters), those should be fine.
Though they (90mm version) are a bit hefty and heavy.

I guess that the benefit of these alloy housings are that they are:
1) cheap
2) very rigid and strong - so they can be used to run the fans at their highest end powers

And the Viper 11 blade fan is also cheap, so IF that works well then you can have the alloy unit and fan for $40 approx.
And for the 70mm versions, about $20 housing + $17 fan (Lander10 or CS12-70) = $37
Not too bad.... though neither is going to do the motor cooling job too well, because they both have much larger motor tubes than any motors you would/could ever use in there.

Somebody at that Alloy Housing place didn't put quite enough thought into them!!!
1) Who would make the 90mm TOO LARGE!!??
2) Who would make motor tubes too large too!!??
40mm for 90mm is what you want! 29.5mm for 70mm is what you want!!

But going larger, and having no real accuracy, means it was easier for their tolerances I guess.....
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 03:56 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,463 Posts
I did have to move both fans forwards, so they clear the motor wires safely.
The Lander shaft adaptor has a very short hole, so its rotor is a fair way ahead of the CS12 anyway.
So the Lander was near the front housing edge, the CS12 just a bit more in from that (but could go far more inwards than that).
The taper of the hub on the CS12 was close to 'aligning' its shape/airflow to the motor housing diameter as it turned out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:33 PM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,801 Posts
thanks, Peter. Curious what will turn the Lander into a quieter fan (apart from an alloy housing).
Had a closer look at the smaller Lander CS copy, the 10-blade 70mm rotor:
That really IS a very faithful copy of the CS rotor, and if anything no thicker blades,
but stiffer. I thought they were smaller, but checked them, they are pretty identical
to the CS 10-blade rotors. The 70mm 12-bladers are bigger...
Old Feb 17, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Nov 2006
9,463 Posts
The measurements on the Lander 10 and CS12-70 are the same... 68.5mm
The CS10 is 68.0mm
I have to go and recheck.....

I have the full lander Alloy 90mm, but have not run it up yet.... so I have to do that and see what the sound is like out of it then. I bet it is far better... with its 'double the angle' stators.
I will see if I can do that tonight......
And try to get the Viper11 rotor turning-down done too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:15 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
The 12b still going strong with the HK Heli motors 6S. Can anybody measure the speed??

FLYFLY Mig29 (4 min 25 sec)
Graham d is online now Find More Posts by Graham d
Last edited by Graham d; Feb 18, 2013 at 05:22 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:38 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Apr 2007
1,801 Posts
nice! what's the heli motors you're using? 3025 or 3126, and what kV? thx Clemens
Old Feb 18, 2013, 05:53 AM
United Kingdom, England, Sudbury
Joined Oct 2004
153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
Yes, all 6S

I have two of the 70mm alloy housing coming also, from RC Castle. Hoepfully they are more suitable!
Because Cyclone Power got those branded in their name (but you can see plain as day they come from the same place), AND they are the right dimensions for CS12-70 and Lander10 rotors (which are both the same diameters), those should be fine.
Though they (90mm version) are a bit hefty and heavy.

I guess that the benefit of these alloy housings are that they are:
1) cheap
2) very rigid and strong - so they can be used to run the fans at their highest end powers

And the Viper 11 blade fan is also cheap, so IF that works well then you can have the alloy unit and fan for $40 approx.
And for the 70mm versions, about $20 housing + $17 fan (Lander10 or CS12-70) = $37
Not too bad.... though neither is going to do the motor cooling job too well, because they both have much larger motor tubes than any motors you would/could ever use in there.

Somebody at that Alloy Housing place didn't put quite enough thought into them!!!
1) Who would make the 90mm TOO LARGE!!??
2) Who would make motor tubes too large too!!??
40mm for 90mm is what you want! 29.5mm for 70mm is what you want!!

But going larger, and having no real accuracy, means it was easier for their tolerances I guess.....

Peter, I came across this exact problem when fitting a Leopard 3674 into my CS12; frustrating to say the least trying to centre the motor accurately enough!
The solution I used was to slip a couple of suitably sized "O" rings around the motor casing to hold the can in position and centre it precisely! Simple.. cheap
Works a treat!
union1 is offline Find More Posts by union1
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:31 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,463 Posts
Yes a good idea... I keep forgetting to ever do. Ihave a box of o-rings... maybe it has a size of use. I actually go them well centred, but it does take effort... instead of an o-ring pretty certainly making it much easier!

But I more mean that even an inrunner will not get any cooling in a motor housing that is 2mm larger than it. So there is no metal to metal contact except the motor front face. And even that has holes etc...
Just to make it even worse..... the motor tube is so long that you only have 5mm to 15mm of motor sticking out (motor size dependant of course... 10mm approx in a 74mm length motor), so you can't even fit a heatsink!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:37 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mopetista View Post
nice! what's the heli motors you're using? 3025 or 3126, and what kV? thx Clemens
Clemens,

the 3025 - 1500kv
Graham d is online now Find More Posts by Graham d
Old Feb 18, 2013, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2006
9,463 Posts
No measuremant.. but my guess is 150kph area or so.

They are such a great, and simple, plane/jet!! That is right near the top of my 'have to have one, get it next' list!! But a bit costly to bring one in (to Aust), for what it is. You pay for the box size.... and in it is just $2 of foam! FlyFly stuff is very budget, but a very good bases to work from!
And the Mirage is probably the least effort one of the lot.... for a great return!

Maybe that would be somewhere to 'dump' my X-Flight alloy housing and Viper11 rotor! Seeing it would be less weight and power issue in the Mirage! (Seeing it is slick and fast anyway)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:53 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Well it CAN be done! (And no. I'm not saying it should be....Hee hee)
Over 11 pounds peak thrust at 4K watts.

Also, my inlet ring came off at full throttle yesterday hitting the fan blades with no side effects except little nicks in the blades. (Scared the crap out of me tho! Got REALLY loud!)
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:24 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Paxton View Post
Well it CAN be done! (And no. I'm not saying it should be....Hee hee)
Over 11 pounds peak thrust at 4K watts.

Also, my inlet ring came off at full throttle yesterday hitting the fan blades with no side effects except little nicks in the blades. (Scared the crap out of me tho! Got REALLY loud!)
Can you be more specific as to what can be done?
There has been some thread drift and wondered if you are referring to the CS fan.
What other details..
Shroud
Motor
Cell count
ESC

Thanks Eric
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!
Old Feb 18, 2013, 03:36 PM
Hey Ya'll!! Watch THIS!!
Nashville TN.
Joined Mar 2006
2,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
Can you be more specific as to what can be done?
There has been some thread drift and wondered if you are referring to the CS fan.
What other details..
Shroud
Motor
Cell count
ESC

Thanks Eric
This is the same CS12-90 I've been posting about.
Original "Light" blades
12S 3300 25C GensAce batteries
CC 80HV2
HET 700-60-935 motor
Intake lip from another fan made to fit.
Thrust tested on rig shown a few pages back.
Michael Paxton is offline Find More Posts by Michael Paxton
Old Feb 18, 2013, 04:28 PM
Canada, ON, Burlington
Joined Jan 2009
2,481 Posts
I blew up one of the early fans at similar power. Didn't go during testing, but after getting airborne and flying for about one minute.
I hope you have an 8mm shaft because when (not IF) it goes your motor shaft will be bent if it is only a 5mm version.
Cheers
4stripes is offline Find More Posts by 4stripes
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some photos of the EDF fleet!