HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2014, 04:36 AM
Submarine or Target?
United States, SC, Piedmont
Joined Jul 2013
390 Posts
Good luck with finding your dream home. This will give Dave time to finish the machining.
ericbphoto is offline Find More Posts by ericbphoto
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
16 Posts
Hey Mike
hope you find the perfect home !

I figured I would show you an update with my engine. I am going through steam trials. It turns out running steam is a lot different than just compressed air. I have it running but I still have many items that will need addressing. I have small leaks here and there, my throttles both failed 4 times and keeping up enough steam with my little boiler will be challenging. I need an shaft driven water pump too. Even with all that it sure is cool to hear it and see steam exhausting from the exhaust stacks and cylinder drains. Its gonna work !

I'm sure you saw lots of nay sayers on the internet like I did about such a long stroke on a small engine. There was very little info on a project like ours. They were wrong, mine is going to push a paddle no problem. Yours will even run better going by the fantastic workmanship you and Dave have shown us so far !!

http://youtu.be/phPfLrrRciA

Pete
apointofview is offline Find More Posts by apointofview
Old Mar 17, 2014, 08:33 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Very cool!!

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:25 PM
Submarine or Target?
Joined Jul 2013
390 Posts
Apointofview,

Congratulations. It looks great in the video.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 11:48 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Brass Smokestack

Preston's brass smokestack took a bath in paint stripper and a ride in the dishwasher. Now looking at it, I'm almost ready to desolder the whole thing and start over. It just doesn't stand up to the build quality that I've set.

There is much left to do before Preston steams across the pond. Most of it is small work, not too complicated.

Mike in Edmonds
hookpilot is offline Find More Posts by hookpilot
Old Mar 22, 2014, 05:06 PM
Mini-Me is watching you...
Hemet, CA
Joined Aug 2010
495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookpilot View Post
Preston's brass smokestack took a bath in paint stripper and a ride in the dishwasher. Now looking at it, I'm almost ready to desolder the whole thing and start over. It just doesn't stand up to the build quality that I've set.

There is much left to do before Preston steams across the pond. Most of it is small work, not too complicated.

Mike in Edmonds
You know, sometimes, you just gotta toss out what you have done, take what you have learned, and start over so you can really get what you are after. Learning that the hard way with kitchen cabinets right now...
thenodemaster is offline Find More Posts by thenodemaster
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:43 AM
Submarine or Target?
Joined Jul 2013
390 Posts
Hard choice to make? The rest of us can type away all day and tell you how great it looks in the pictures. But if you cringe every time you look at a particular part and think " That should be better." then it is probably best to remake that part until you are satisfied with it. This model is absolutely stunning in every way. But it is yours and YOU have to be satisfied with the end result. It should bring you joy and pride every time you look at it. Besides, you seem to enjoy the process. So building one more smoke stack assembly just gives you more process to enjoy.

Does that make sense?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 02:16 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Does to me....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2014, 07:06 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Spring is Time to Finish the Boat

I agree. The final product must satisfy me. But like in all things, there are limits to what can be done. In the case of the smoke stack, I've set that limit high because it is such a visible part of the mode, much like the paddle wheel. So I think I'll take another cut at it. This time I'll try a combination of low temp. solder and silver solder to do the job. The ladder will be built from brass rod instead of the ready made one stamped out of thin brass. It never looked right from the beginning. Using silver solder on the rungs will allow me to attach the stand-offs to the ladder and then use low temp. solder to attach the ladder to the stack.

If you want to gauge how clean and accurate a job you are doing on your model, just take a bunch of well lit close-up photos of your work. Your eye may gloss over slight imperfections, but the photos won't. Every little paint flaw, spatter or sloppy solder or glue joint will stick out in an image. Case in point- I took a few shots of Preston in our portable pond at the Hobby Expo last month. In one shot showing the stern paddle wheel deck, a glaring paint glitch stood out. Rust colored paint had run down over the sides of the black paddlewheel decking. Easy to fix, but I never noticed it until that picture was used as wallpaper on my computer. So back to the shop to build an accurate jig to hold the pieces together. And grab some flat black paint and magnifying goggles to touch up the offending paint flaw.

Mike in Edmonds
Old Apr 13, 2014, 11:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Nearing Engine Install

The punch list is getting smaller as I near completion of the Preston. I stripped the paint off the smokestack, primed it and repainted with flat black. It looks acceptable now. Tonight I worked on the dock getting the cleats primed and painted. They'll get installed Monday. The crane is done and operational. Just a few items to glue down on the dock and it will be done. Dave is closing in on the steam engine build. I've got all the steam and exhaust lines installed up to the engine. I'm still in the same location, so moving is still going to happen, just don't know exactly when or where we'll be.

Mike in Edmonds
Last edited by hookpilot; Apr 14, 2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Add photos
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:21 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Looking forward to more pics....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:01 PM
Ariel WA
Joined Apr 2005
300 Posts
Here are some You tube videos of what I have been up to.

Dave

008 (1 min 28 sec)

009 (0 min 48 sec)

010 (1 min 49 sec)
Phoneman2005 is offline Find More Posts by Phoneman2005
Old Apr 20, 2014, 08:41 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
24,937 Posts
Velly velly nice....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 21, 2014, 07:56 AM
United States, ID, Rexburg
Joined Sep 2008
6,381 Posts
Nice! I was curious what the fly wheel was for (hey I was a Boatswain's Mate, we don't do things in engine rooms!)...Thanks for answering that. Looking forward to seeing more of the machinery build.
Foo
fooman2008 is offline Find More Posts by fooman2008
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:12 AM
Joined Oct 2004
1,227 Posts
Preston Steam Engine

The flywheel is used to simulate the paddlewheel working against water resistance while the engine is in the shop (not installed in the boat) Next will come actual installation and fine tuning of the setup. My goal is to get the steam plant working smoothly from around 20 rpm at Dead Slow to 60 rpm Full Ahead. After running the boat in my test tank at 45 rpm paddlewheel speed I found this to yield a nice scale looking hull speed. The steam engine is capable of producing far more power (3X) than is needed to operate the boat.

Mike in Edmonds