HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:38 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Question
Depron / Fan fold foam and laser cutting

there is a public prototypeing/hobbiest/artist group here in ottawa that has gotten a cnc laser cutter and i asked if they would be able to cut foam and they said yes if there is no issues of it affecting the system and the air quaility ie fumes etc. The question i have is there large amount of fumes smoke from cutting out on our favourite building material that we have to worry about,

thanks

laser
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:03 AM
Joined Dec 2011
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
there is a public prototypeing/hobbiest/artist group here in ottawa that has gotten a cnc laser cutter and i asked if they would be able to cut foam and they said yes if there is no issues of it affecting the system and the air quaility ie fumes etc. The question i have is there large amount of fumes smoke from cutting out on our favourite building material that we have to worry about,

thanks

laser
I am in the process of building my own cnc laser cutter, and when I have it working if you want to see it, I live in Kemptville
DouglasMorency is offline Find More Posts by DouglasMorency
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:13 AM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,629 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post

thanks

laser
You must ventilate the fumes if cutting Depron or FFF with a laser. The fumes are toxic and unpleasant. Most commercial lasers have an outlet in the cabinet for venting.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2012, 04:04 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
My thread has links to a lot of various sites for information regarding toxicity of various foams. Second post has links to websites such as CDC, which have various studies and pdfs that include information on how to protect yourself.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1589660

While no conclusive studies have been made between foam fumes and cancer, the chemicals have been positively linked to kidney, liver, lung and brain damage.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 09, 2012, 11:16 AM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,373 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasMorency View Post
I am in the process of building my own cnc laser cutter, and when I have it working if you want to see it, I live in Kemptville
Doug I would love to but I don't have wheels other than a bike if you are ever in Orleans let me know some time so we can meet for timmies

jim
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman