HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2014, 04:42 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
I'l check that out. I don't see how it would affect just the one retract though. worth a shot. Thanx...
dlxpkg2000 is offline Find More Posts by dlxpkg2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:01 AM
V1, Rotate; Fly my birdie Fly.
Australia, VIC, Lilydale
Joined May 2012
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killickb View Post
Very,very nice Ausantc. I too love that finish which shows up the panel lines and scale detail. Can you elaborate a little more on what you used and your method of application -- was it in strips, panels? Did you have to use heat? Did you need to preapply an adhesive? Are the decals underneath or on top? etc.

Thank you so much
Hi Killickb, The method I used is not unique, many of the contributors to this forum have used the same; Except that I used Avery 900 series as it's easier to get here in Aus. The prep I used was a very light sand (max 600 (don't use anything more course or you'll scratch and rupture the top coating) only to reduce the molding pimples), then a wipe with metho to remove the release agent from the foam - this helps with the adhesion.

On the wings, v/stab and h/stab I used one piece each for each side, for the Fus I used separate pieces working from the rear to the front using the panel lines as the overlap so the join becomes "invisible" and each piece completely surrounding the fus, joining underneath.

Generally I tried to avoid using heat as I've found there is a little shrinkage as the vinyl cools and/or later regains some of it's "memory" and shrinks a little over time. Where I did use heat on the more complex curves; I found a little overlap with "un-stretched" vinyl at the join or the use of a small joint strip overlapping the join really helped minimize the shrinkage.

Alternatively, adding a little extra detail also helps with hiding the joins; for example on the nose I added dome panel lines to hide the joins on the very complex nosecone.

The decals were all made here at home; they're hand designed (yes it did take ages) then printed on decal paper using a laser color printer, lacquered and applied over the vinyl with the edges set with clear lacquer - it worked out really nice - particularly for the silver wording.

If you haven't already, Spiryo put together a really nice video that rolled up his construction that was vinly and paint combination at...

Windrider KLM BOEING 737 - How It's Made & Maiden Flight (12 min 44 sec)

and has some additional vid's on you-tube that I used for inspiration.

Happy to help out if you or others need more info....

Anthony
Ausantc is online now Find More Posts by Ausantc
Last edited by Ausantc; Feb 19, 2014 at 05:27 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 07:45 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
Here's the latest on ":PenguinOne". Tail end of plane, finished: Elev. servos, rudder servo, rear strobe, and start of decal application. for some strange reason, I'm building this jet from the TAIL first !!! (Actually, waiting on new nose-gear that's why) Working on main wing now.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:05 PM
Rookie Pilot
United States, NJ, Old Bridge Township
Joined May 2013
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlxpkg2000 View Post
Here's the latest on ":PenguinOne". Tail end of plane, finished: Elev. servos, rudder servo, rear strobe, and start of decal application. for some strange reason, I'm building this jet from the TAIL first !!! (Actually, waiting on new nose-gear that's why) Working on main wing now.
Great job.
Finest Racing is offline Find More Posts by Finest Racing
Old Feb 27, 2014, 01:18 AM
Österreich, Oberösterreich, Laakirchen
Joined Jan 2001
3,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finest Racing View Post
Great job.
Agree with you . Respect !!!

BR

Rudi
Rudi is offline Find More Posts by Rudi
Old Feb 27, 2014, 02:13 AM
Joined Jan 2014
5 Posts

I welcome all modellers! ! ! I worked over model a little, I collected a fuselage and I stopped putting on it a livery of the Russian airline Vladivostokavia (it unfortunately already stopped the existence). For drawing strips on boards of a fuselage I used the German film of Orafol, the bottom of a fuselage painted from air brush with timiyevsky acrylic paint directly on EPO. Model weight in this type of 1 kg 200 grams.
Aleks Bashmakov is offline Find More Posts by Aleks Bashmakov
Old Feb 27, 2014, 07:56 AM
Rookie Pilot
United States, NJ, Old Bridge Township
Joined May 2013
54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks Bashmakov View Post

I welcome all modellers! ! ! I worked over model a little, I collected a fuselage and I stopped putting on it a livery of the Russian airline Vladivostokavia (it unfortunately already stopped the existence). For drawing strips on boards of a fuselage I used the German film of Orafol, the bottom of a fuselage painted from air brush with timiyevsky acrylic paint directly on EPO. Model weight in this type of 1 kg 200 grams.
Great job Aleks, continue the great work. I think by choosing a company that is not in business is a great choice. Since most people choose airlines that are currently in business. Two thumbs up.
Finest Racing is offline Find More Posts by Finest Racing
Old Feb 27, 2014, 06:42 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
Right back at ya, Aleks. Very nice work on that airliner. Great Livery. I enjoy seeing different schemes on planes, that are unique. Excellent job.
Old Mar 02, 2014, 03:07 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
Update Time: Too cold to paint, so working around things...Nose-gear with pull-pull steering (a 1st for me), installed. Had to chop some foam to get everything lined up, to retract all the way into retract bay with stock wheels. Painted hubs to match. Ran wire leads for steering, retract, and nose-gear landing light. Had to add connectors to lighting, so I can disconnect when removing wing(nose-gear,top strobe, rear strobe). Installed mounts for mains, with dowels that are sunk in to the wing. Mounted, and tested main retract. Installed a couple more decals to "fuse"....Stay Tuned !
Old Mar 06, 2014, 09:28 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
A little more done on "Penguin One". Both wing halves have finish coat of paint, main fuse, now has 1st coat of blue. Should only need one more coat of blue on the fuse halves, then it's time to start slappin' on the sticky stuff...
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:02 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
So Far, So good...More from the "PenguinOne" hangar. Main wing finished:Ailerons, flaps, lights, retracts, and EDF units, all working. Next, gluing Tail, and "Fuse" halves together. Photo is of main fuse, just taped together for pre-fitting purposes. Coming along nicely.... :-) Last, but not least, finish applying decals. (Gotta give" Mad Props" to:CallieGrahpics)
Old Mar 09, 2014, 01:31 PM
United States, TX, Brownsville
Joined Oct 2009
23 Posts
Penguin One !

Looks great Dlxpkg2000 !

keep up the great work!
rctrooper1 is offline Find More Posts by rctrooper1
Old Mar 09, 2014, 08:31 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jun 2002
4,497 Posts
Wait to see your video.

Ming Lou
Ming is offline Find More Posts by Ming
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:12 PM
Chi-Town, Il. U.S.A.
Joined Jul 2009
431 Posts
Windrider 737/ PenguinOne

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys -n- Girls, Moms -n- Dads....I hereby present to you, for your viewing pleasure: "SouthWest Airlines' "PenguinOne"! She's completely finished (except some chrome trim on the leading edge of the wing). She's a PIG @ 8.5 lbs. w/ 2, 14.8/65C 3300mah packs. She's got a basic flap set-up, full lighting, custom paint, decals, courtesy of "Callie-Graphics". Coated w/ Minwax water-based poly-crylic, before decals, then another coat to seal them. If this bird flies, as well as she turned out, I'll be one Happy Human...! Won't be a maiden till' the weather breaks here in the "Windy City". Stay tuned!
Old Mar 14, 2014, 02:55 PM
I'm Addicted Already
Charlotte, NC
Joined Feb 2011
1,585 Posts
You spend months building up one of the best looking 737s around, and then you shows us via out of focus pics... sheesh.
Really does look good.
NCRealEstateGuy is offline Find More Posts by NCRealEstateGuy