HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:45 PM
Registered Crasher
United States, TX, Coppell
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
or just go 3s with the p25. I use hs-82s on the elevator/rudder. Do you have an aurora 9?
I do, and I like it so far, but I'm not flying expert. I just love how easy to use it is and how easy it is to program. It feels great in the hands, too. Not like a toy like my DX7. Sometimes it's a little bit of a pain to do things like range check, etc... but all systems have some kinks. At least this system can be easily upgraded without shipping it back as these kinks get worked out. Another downside is that the local field only does buddy boxing with spektrum stuff. I've got a DX7 and some orange RX's for when I have to use specktrum (UM and buddy boxing), but when I can I prefer to use the A9 setup.

I'm thinking using my 3s 3300's with the P25 for a while is the way to go forward. I suppose I could always pull the BL15 from the apprentice if the P25 is just waaay too crazy.
jtaylor996 is offline Find More Posts by jtaylor996
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2012, 05:46 PM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav3uk View Post
You are right. The SPC will power the RX seperate from the servos so if the voltage sags from the ESCs built in bec the servos will keep going but may slow down but the RX will keep going fine as it has a built in BEC up to 8s. You get the best of both worlds as it were.

Brown out only relates to the RX as it is basically the voltage dropping below the working voltage of the RX and the RX then shuts down usually followed by a reboot, but this can take 2-3 seconds, in which time the plane is usually toast.......servos on the other hand tend to slow down as voltage is reduced so will keep going.

Dave
This is awesome to hear. Sounds like I won't need a BEC at all on this bird. Thanks!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:14 PM
Joined Nov 2011
1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
I agree with Dave. You may be overfacing yourself with a hotrod warbird right out of the gate.... I would start with the stock P15 motor and 30a ESC until you get a feel for her.
You asked for opinions bro-i have to absolutely go with what scootrb4 says. Being patient with yourself and gaining experience and skills is going to give you long term success. Everyone's learning curve is different but,jumping right into a hotrod warbird is not playing with the odds in your favor. One of the coolest things about RCG is that the advice that the majority of the guys give on it is based on the interest of rc junkies to see other guys have success in the hobby! If this is your first warbird in this size go stock first! Good luck man
kevin whitesell is offline Find More Posts by kevin whitesell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: E-Flite Hurricane
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:39 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I do, and I like it so far, but I'm not flying expert. I just love how easy to use it is and how easy it is to program. It feels great in the hands, too. Not like a toy like my DX7. Sometimes it's a little bit of a pain to do things like range check, etc... but all systems have some kinks. At least this system can be easily upgraded without shipping it back as these kinks get worked out. Another downside is that the local field only does buddy boxing with spektrum stuff. I've got a DX7 and some orange RX's for when I have to use specktrum (UM and buddy boxing), but when I can I prefer to use the A9 setup.

I'm thinking using my 3s 3300's with the P25 for a while is the way to go forward. I suppose I could always pull the BL15 from the apprentice if the P25 is just waaay too crazy.
Just be real gentle on the throttle and have someone with a lot of Warbird experience standing close to give you some help if you need it. That is how I did it the first few times I flew a Warbird, and I still have my P-47 with around 70 + flights, with (knock on wood) no crashes.

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
here is a stock bird landing not me mine is the corsair
Cool lights on your Corsair. If my son sees that setup, he'll want it to fly at night!

Looks like Dan tested the retracts..the E-flite retracts seem pretty tough.
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jul 18, 2012, 09:39 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
9,883 Posts
o'yea the way he lands they need to be lol that was one of his better ones
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: very fun FPV
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:17 PM
Joined Mar 2009
2,279 Posts
Well, I hit the BUY button just now, for the PZ P-47. I also ordered the E-flite retracts(after watching Dan's landing(s). They look pretty strong, for my ropey landings.
With the load on the ESC I will probably install one of my CC 10 amp Switch Becs
Should I have ordered the pre-bent main gear struts? Otherwise I should be good to go, when the kit arrives.
Thanks to everyone on this Warbird forum..
320pilot is offline Find More Posts by 320pilot
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:07 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,079 Posts
Prebents aren't necessary, they just clean it up and save some work.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
Pre bent

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Prebents aren't necessary, they just clean it up and save some work.
If you choose to bend your gear struts you need to very, very carefully make some measurements.

Even with the EFlite struts you will have to make some adjustments to make sure the gear does not bind in the gear wells. Also, you will have to carefully align the gear before grinding a flat on the strut. If the flat is not carefully aligned then tightening the strut will force it off-center.

Hard landing will bend the Eflite struts and you will have to pull them and re-align the strut.

Perfect alignment of the strut for landing and retraction requires some work. You will have to address these issues after a hard landing as well. The unit is very robust, you will have to maintain it every 20 landings or so.
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Jul 18, 2012, 11:59 PM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,817 Posts
I have my eflite retracts installed with the wire they came. I dont flat grind and i dont cut the extra lenght of the strut. I just install them adjust the position of the axle and tight hard with locktie. They are doing very well and survived a crash were the wing went in 3 parts(with landings opened for land) , the axle didnt move out of place when racived the new wing i install the retracts again and the axle still perfect align
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:08 AM
Play tetris with my english
Puerto Rico, San Juan
Joined May 2008
1,817 Posts
The onlyones at the field that had notice the extra lengh of the wire are the one i just told. Whe flying or taxing are invisible.

I just dont have a cutting disc for my dremel.

Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342674467.328104.jpg
Views: 49
Size: 98.9 KB
Description: Name: ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342674484.297491.jpg
Views: 54
Size: 100.8 KB
Description:
DaxFX is offline Find More Posts by DaxFX
Old Jul 19, 2012, 08:17 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foambird View Post
If you choose to bend your gear struts you need to very, very carefully make some measurements.

Even with the EFlite struts you will have to make some adjustments to make sure the gear does not bind in the gear wells. Also, you will have to carefully align the gear before grinding a flat on the strut. If the flat is not carefully aligned then tightening the strut will force it off-center.

Hard landing will bend the Eflite struts and you will have to pull them and re-align the strut.

Perfect alignment of the strut for landing and retraction requires some work. You will have to address these issues after a hard landing as well. The unit is very robust, you will have to maintain it every 20 landings or so.
+1 on that. My parkzone retacts are very good, but even with the pre-bent struts you will need to bend them a bit to fit the wheel well. And make sure they are aligned (no toe in or out). And do a bit of periodic maintenance on them as they take wear and tear they bend a bit.

I put dubro tires on them, but you don't need to. They just look better. Put two 4 size (4mm?) vinyl washers under each of the rear landing gear mounting screws to rake the gear forward. This way you won't nose over all the time on grass. May not be necessary on pavement. Put 125% throw on the elevator and taxi with the evlevator full up.

See previous post on this thread on what mods are necessary. The eflite install videos are good.
WBKelsoe is offline Find More Posts by WBKelsoe
Old Jul 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
Registered Crasher
Joined Feb 2011
2,175 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin whitesell View Post
You asked for opinions bro-i have to absolutely go with what scootrb4 says. Being patient with yourself and gaining experience and skills is going to give you long term success. Everyone's learning curve is different but,jumping right into a hotrod warbird is not playing with the odds in your favor. One of the coolest things about RCG is that the advice that the majority of the guys give on it is based on the interest of rc junkies to see other guys have success in the hobby! If this is your first warbird in this size go stock first! Good luck man
I agree here. But since I got the airframe version, there's not really a "stock" setup for me. Going "stock" just means spending more money for a motor that nobody on here seems to be willing to buy (esp since it's more expensive than the P15).

Is it torque roll on takeoff you're worried about with the P25? I figured for maiden, I could just set the throttle channel to half travel, and then just use half stick to cope with the takeoff roll.

First few flights will be belly landing (2 blade prop), and I'm pretty decent with hand launches so far. I may just maiden it with the BL15 from the apprentice, though, if you think it'll make that big of a difference. I don't think the bigger ESC or 3300 3s batteries are going to make any performance difference, so I don't see any reason to go stock there (I'll get CG right before flying, of course).

When I got my apprentice, I took it to the local field to have someone else maiden the bird and make sure it wasn't way off trim or anything before I tried to fly it. I'm going to do the same thing on P47, as well. But most my flying will be closer to my house, without the aid of a lot of experience on hand.

So far, I have enough experience in not listening to people and then making craters in the ground to know that I need to heed your warnings. I'm just trying to get some more information about what to expect with this new bird.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
Camp Verde,AZ
Joined Jan 2007
1,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtaylor996 View Post
I agree here. But since I got the airframe version, there's not really a "stock" setup for me. Going "stock" just means spending more money for a motor that nobody on here seems to be willing to buy (esp since it's more expensive than the P15).

Is it torque roll on takeoff you're worried about with the P25? I figured for maiden, I could just set the throttle channel to half travel, and then just use half stick to cope with the takeoff roll.

First few flights will be belly landing (2 blade prop), and I'm pretty decent with hand launches so far. I may just maiden it with the BL15 from the apprentice, though, if you think it'll make that big of a difference. I don't think the bigger ESC or 3300 3s batteries are going to make any performance difference, so I don't see any reason to go stock there (I'll get CG right before flying, of course).

When I got my apprentice, I took it to the local field to have someone else maiden the bird and make sure it wasn't way off trim or anything before I tried to fly it. I'm going to do the same thing on P47, as well. But most my flying will be closer to my house, without the aid of a lot of experience on hand.

So far, I have enough experience in not listening to people and then making craters in the ground to know that I need to heed your warnings. I'm just trying to get some more information about what to expect with this new bird.
I would not set the throttle to half throw. The take off roll is not that bad, you just need to feed in a little right rudder as you increase throttle. A lot of the time I just bump the rudder to keep it going straight until she is in the air. This plane will fly fairly fast, that is why I suggested gentle throttle input. Don't do as I did the first time I flew this plane, I was so in awe of this plane flying that I forgot to throttle back, the next thing I knew this plane was almost out of sight.LOL

Terry
krazyman is offline Find More Posts by krazyman
Old Jul 21, 2012, 03:14 AM
Australia, ACT, Canberra
Joined Feb 2009
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320pilot View Post
Well, I hit the BUY button just now, for the PZ P-47. I also ordered the E-flite retracts(after watching Dan's landing(s). They look pretty strong, for my ropey landings.
With the load on the ESC I will probably install one of my CC 10 amp Switch Becs
Should I have ordered the pre-bent main gear struts? Otherwise I should be good to go, when the kit arrives.
Thanks to everyone on this Warbird forum..
Don't bother with the prebent struts. Use the stock ones that come with retracts and cut to size with a dremel. Thats what I did and no problems.
actflyer is offline Find More Posts by actflyer