HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:49 PM
Where o where has my America g
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
Help!
26 cc Japanese zero

boys and girls I need help identifying this plane I'm new to the sport and currently out buying planes to fill my hanger. Even though I have no clue how to fly I usually do things big. Well I have one I cannot wait to get in the air but I will be smart and wait until I get the proper skill to fly. This bird has a six foot wingspan fiberglass hullit has the insets for retractable landing gear the landing gear is rigid. The 26cc motor is what they call a zenoah puh I beluve. I need help to identify this wonderful war bird. Any help is welcome. [IMG][/IMG]
stsguy is offline Find More Posts by stsguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 09, 2014, 12:58 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,476 Posts
Hard to say from the single pic but appears to be a CMP / Nitroplanes Zero or one of its clones. They have been offered under 5 or 6 different labels I think.
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old Jul 09, 2014, 07:02 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
It should fly good on that engine. I had a cmp zero the same size with a 20cc that flew ok. That 26cc should do just fine. I would suggest after you solo and get some experience, make your first warbird a P-47. A big wing and wide gear stance are good for an entry level warbird. Learn how to use your rudder. It's hard to fly a warbird without knowing how to use it.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
more rambling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsguy View Post
boys and girls I need help identifying this plane I'm new to the sport and currently out buying planes to fill my hanger. Even though I have no clue how to fly I usually do things big. Well I have one I cannot wait to get in the air but I will be smart and wait until I get the proper skill to fly. This bird has a six foot wingspan fiberglass hullit has the insets for retractable landing gear the landing gear is rigid. The 26cc motor is what they call a zenoah puh I beluve. I need help to identify this wonderful war bird. Any help is welcome. [IMG][/IMG]
He's a few more pics I went and pick plane up tonight. I'm guessing the 26cc that is What it looks like I need to tear it down To get more info. On the plane I pick up 3 new birds today. What's the difference in fling with the rudder from other planes? Th plane is in fantastic structural shape. It does have some hanger rash but everything look real good. I need a canopy and I want to get and 8nstall retractable landing gear. First thing I'm going to install is sealed bearings in the wheels I hate the wheel vibration you get when you spin airplane wheels. Just a pet peeve I guess.
But i would like advice on...........
Refinishing the plane. I want to remove the stickers and airbrush all th logos so I need to find the right colors and type of paint I need to use. Also the wings feel as if they may be foam filled and I'm. Not sure what to use to recover them. It will be a nice project to practice on before my first real ground up build.
Also the porting I'm guessing will be different then I do on my dirt oval 5th scales. But i want to amp it up as well. I have a few 27.2 4 bolt modded heads and pistons that scream mid to high but I don't know if I need to build it for torque instead. He's some pics of the other planes I grabbed tonight also
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:24 PM
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
forgot one

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jul 09, 2014, 10:40 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
Your instructor fill you in on that.
Edwin
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:51 PM
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
instructor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Your instructor fill you in on that.
Edwin
What's that? Lol school of hard Knocks so far.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 12:56 PM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,095 Posts
Find an instructor/club

It will be a lot cheaper and a lot less demoralizing
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jul 10, 2014, 01:40 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
Yeah, learn to fly at a club with an instructor. I taught myself 25 years ago, it was expensive and took a long time. There were no arfs back then. Even after I soloed myself I still had a lot of problems with getting cocky and crashing a lot. I met an instructor a few years later with the new fangled buddy box and two flights with him cleared up a ton of bad habits I had developed. Learning to use the rudder effectively can make a bad landing approach a non-event. Your planes won't last any time at all if you go it alone, been there done that. Learning to fly is a process that takes time and practice. You really need to learn on a trainer. I've been teaching about 10 years and have seen the really cocky show up and are discouraged when we tell them you can't teach yourself how to fly at our field, too dangerous. Many years back a guy showed up, said he could fly, turned out he just lied to us. He thought it was no big deal. His plane went out of control into the parking lot and punched a hole in someone's door. It cost him a bunch of money and wasn't permitted to fly with us again unless he went through the training program. We never saw him again. Just trying to impress upon you how serious this can be when things go wrong.
Edwin
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:14 AM
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
I do joke a bit but my right hand and a hot 3 cell lipo has given me respect for the unknown. I do have the ......had the attitude I could figure it out. There is nothing that can intimidate me to not give it hell trying. But I've have definitely gained respect for the sport just as I did after buying a Pringle 18-2catamaran and went saying in high winds in the ocean. I have since the last post made 3 successful flights with a plane I rebuild from scratch parts. I was able to get a feel for the controls. But like you said I have picked up bad habits I caught myself doing after I was in the air the 1st time. I didn't start this to fly a toy and move on. I started for 2 reasons. The 1st is my old man was into the sport back in the late 60s and it as always interested me....the builds.... not the rudder only planes he flew. And 2nd I'm getting older but I most be busy all day everyday or i go nuts. I've done very well competing in 5th scale oval and still love it but the planes have always had a pull on me. I know what ever type of flying I end up doing there will be a competitive side to it. Not sure if it will be 3d, pylon or what but I like to compete. Thanks for your input I am looking for a buddy at this point
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:21 AM
Mulit-Platform Pilot
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Sep 2004
3,095 Posts
Well, where you at then?
barracudahockey is offline Find More Posts by barracudahockey
Old Jul 11, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
Hell yeah, come on down, sit a spell and shoot the bull for a while. Camaraderie is a good part of rc too.
Edwin
Old Jul 16, 2014, 07:48 PM
Joined Aug 2013
42 Posts
Big Ole Spring Tx Just north of Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by barracudahockey View Post
Well, where you at then?
I've seen a few fields in the area. I've drove by one a few times Houston Sport Flyers but it was always locked.up...... maybe they heard I was coming. Lol I'm hoping the clubs are.like my gun club and surface rc track...member ran and operated. We have a privately owned rc track in Lufkin tx that is free to the public and we do great things in the community and get visitors from all over the US. And folks seam to get more involved with a feeling of "ownership" from the rc'ers. Feels like family.
Old Jul 16, 2014, 08:07 PM
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
There are several clubs in the Houston area. There is also Bomber Field out by Monaville, about 50 miles or so west of you on 290. You gotta go to one of their events. They have a B-17 gathering in Sept.

Go to http://www.ama-dist-8.org And use the club finder. Go to their web site and make contact there. I'm one of the instructors in my club and get all training contacts forwarded to me. Go to www.austinrc.org under the 'Our Club' pull down look for the 'Learn to fly' link. There's some helpful info in there for beginners. I am the author of that doc. It will get you started with basic info and generate more questions for your instructor.
Edwin
Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:13 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,046 Posts
Your getting on the right track now... I had that Zero with a 30cc in it and she was a great flyer. Easy to handle on the ground too. I say the Zero is just as easy as the p47 on the ground. Just more maneuverable in the air - so for beginner lower rates/ shorter throws and you'll be okay if you can get her up and down in one piece.
Fly without pouring a lot of time into your first planes. The same advice goes for a lot of $. These first planes are not going to last. They are stepping stones on the road to experienced. Fly with fixed gear and no fancy paint until you are confident you will be bringing it home in one piece each and every time you go out.
It takes time to earn that much experience. But if you must, Eflite 400LG retracts work good in that Zero.

Best of Luck
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4