HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2014, 10:03 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,049 Posts
Mini-HowTo
CB 200 set up

Again a repost from rcjets_63

As requested, here is the step-by-step process for setting up a Central Box 200 with two satellite receivers. This is the setup recommended for your high-priced planes as it provides the greatest degree of protection against failure of either Tx module, receivers, batteries, or servos.

Pros:
two independent systems (redundancy of Tx and Rx)
isolation between the two batteries plugged into the Central box
overload protection (shut off power to failed servo)
additional telemetry from CB (power used, temp, etc)
antenna diversity (you have four antennas) and can see their signal strength.

Cons:
added cost of the Central Box and a second battery
signal loss on one receiver blanks the displayed antenna strength/quality readout for both receivers (bug - hopefully will be fixed in a firmware update.

With previous setups (eg Dual Path - Dual Receivers – Dependent - Normal per http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2095171) where both batteries were plugged into one of the receivers, there was no power isolation and a failed cell in one of the batteries would pull down the voltage of the other battery. The Central Box provides isolation between the batteries which eliminates this failure mode. Additionally, the CB can shut off power to a servo should it overload/jam/fail.

I started with a transmitter in firmware rev 2.22, I updated the firmware in the Central Box (using the instructions in Section 6 of the CB manual) to firmware version 1.11, and had two R3/RSW receivers with firmware version 3.13.

This procedure will use two R3/RSW receivers. Other receivers (eg R5L) can be used but the output ports and firmware version required may be different. Also, the R3/RSW's will communicate to the CB using the EX Bus as this is a better communication method that PPM.

OK, here we go....

1) Configuration/Binding history
When using the EXT Bus configuration, the servo wires from the CB200 Sat1 and Sat2 ports are plugged into the EXT ports of each of the two R3/RSW receivers. If you have never previously bound the two R3/RSW receivers to your Tx, you will have to bind them with the bind plug in the receiver EXT port. This makes the procedure a bit more complicated and you need the spare battery (with the male JR connector).

2) Bind each R3/RSW to the receiver for the first time.
- In Advanced Properties -> Wireless Modes/Trainer, set the mode to Double Path
- Scroll down to "Alarm at:" and set the pulldown to Loss of any receiver.
- insert a bind plug into the EXT port of the first R3/RSW. Plug the lead from the spare battery into another port of this receiver (make sure you get the right polarity)
- Scroll up to Pair primary TX module. Press select. The transmitter will see the receiver and ask if you want to use it. Press yes.
- Unplug the battery and bind plug from the first R3/RSW and set the receiver aside. The transmitter will alarm "signal lost" when you remove power from the R3/RSW. The alarm will continue to go off - yes, it's annoying, deal with it.
- Insert the bind plug into the EXT port of the second R3/RSW and plug the battery into another port of this receiver.
- Scroll down to Pair secondary TX module. Press select. The transmitter will see the receiver and ask if you want to use it. Press yes.
- Unplug the battery and bind plug from the second R3/RSW.

3) Connect the CB, switch, R3/RSW's and battery as shown in Figure 12 in the CB200 manual. Make sure you get the polarity correct and plug everything into the correct ports.
- turn power onto the CB 200 using the magnetic (or other) switch. The transmitter will link up with the receivers and the "signal lost" alarm will mercifully stop.
- just for fun, plug a servo into one of the servo ports of the CB200 (such a throttle, which I have on port 1) and move the stick. You'll note that the servo doesn't move. This is because you haven't yet configured the R3/RSW's to output in EX Bus mode.

4) Use Device Explorer to Configure the two R3/RSW's and the Central Box
- In Model -> Device Explorer you should see "R3 EX" twice in the list. Scroll to the first one and select
- change the output mode to EX Bus. The Tx will ask if you want to apply changes, press yes.
- set the output period as "Auto", scroll to Failsafe, select, and scroll to disable the fail-safe. Press ESC twice to take you back to the Device Explorer
- Notice how the Device Explorer listing now shows a "CBO200" below the upper "R3 EX".
- Scroll down to the bottom "R3 Ex" and press select.
- set up this second R3 like the first R3 (output mode to EX Bus, output period as "Auto", Failsafe disabled). Press ESC twice to take you back to the Device Explorer
- Scroll up to the CBO200, and select. This takes you to the Central Box 200 screen to set up the Central Box as follows:
- Scroll to General Settings, select, set output period as "Auto"
- Scroll to Expander Settings to set the configuration of the Ext 1 port to "Jetibox"
- If you want to use CB port 14 and 15 to connect servos, change their setting to "Servo output". If you want to use these ports to connect telemetry sensors, change the setting to "Telemetry input". Press ESC to take you back to the Central Box 200 screen
- Scoll down to Fail-Safe, select
- Scroll down to Fail-Safe, select, and change the value to "Enabled", select
- The screen populates with a setting for failsafe delay (I keep it at the default 1.5 seconds) and the Output pin values for all the CB200 ports. This is where you set your failsafe values. All ports should be preset to "Hold" which is the default.
- Scroll down to the channel for throttle (mine in Outpin 1), select, change the mode from Hold to Failsafe, select, scroll to Value and set the value (assuming you know the value you need to shutdown the turbine). If not, you can set this later.
- Press ESC to take you back to the Central Box 200 screen
- Scroll down to Servo Output Mapping, and press select. This takes you to the CBOX200 Outputs screen where you can set up what function you want assigned to each port. If you don't need to make any changes, press ESC
- You can have a look in the Telemetry and Telemetry Min/Max screens if you want.
- Press ESC four times to take you back to the main screen

5) Test the Setup
- plug a servo into one of the servo ports of the CB200 (I used port 1 for throttle). Move the control for that channel (in my case, the throttle stick) and the servo moves accordingly.
- disconnect one of the R3/RSW receivers. You should get a signal lost alarm. Reconnect the R3/RSW. The transmitter should link up with the receiver and the alarm should stop
- disconnect the other R3/RSW receiver. Once again, you should get a signal loss alarm. Reconnect the R3/RSW and the alarm should stop.
- turn off the Central Box using the magnetic (or other ) switch. You're done.
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Last edited by Puttputtmaru; Feb 03, 2014 at 10:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:40 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,044 Posts
Thank you for posting - this is a big help!!
Question:
I can't seem to find the 3.13 receiver upgrade (only 3.11) for my R3 satellites??
Can you help me locate these files?

Thanks!

Joe
JK13 is offline Find More Posts by JK13
Old Mar 22, 2014, 01:22 AM
Jeti USA Flight Team
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2013
339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK13 View Post
Thank you for posting - this is a big help!!
Question:
I can't seem to find the 3.13 receiver upgrade (only 3.11) for my R3 satellites??
Can you help me locate these files?

Thanks!

Joe
Joe.... Contact Danny at Esprit and they will send it to you .... It's not a general public release.
La jetguy is offline Find More Posts by La jetguy
Old Mar 22, 2014, 09:11 AM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,044 Posts
Great - Thanks!!
I will do that-

Joe
Old Mar 23, 2014, 10:55 PM
Goes to eleven!
Bellingham WA
Joined Mar 2009
1,044 Posts
Danny PM'ed me and let me know that the R3's come from the factory with update 3.13.
All worked perfect today re-maiden of 3DHS 87" Extra 300 SHP went perfect!

Joe
Old Mar 23, 2014, 11:09 PM
Jeti USA Flight Team
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2013
339 Posts
EXCELLENT... Glad it worked out..
La jetguy is offline Find More Posts by La jetguy
Old Apr 02, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
hello, I am trying to set up my 40% airplane, and I am having trouble. thank you for this post, it is very helpful. however, I am stuck. when I get to the part of going to device explorer, it does recognize the 2 recivers, but when I open it, it says error. both r3 Rx have been updated. however, the central box, I cannot update that one, just says: "device searching, reconnect" and I have tried multiple times. but not sure if that is even my problem any ways that the central box is not updated.
orthobird is offline Find More Posts by orthobird
Old Apr 02, 2014, 08:44 PM
Wren, Fromeco, JetiUSA, Esprit
Joined Feb 2008
124 Posts
Ortho
the Central box must have 1.1 in it or it won't work with device explorer.. there is a separate download for the central box.. to get it to load and run, you plug in the dongle to the ext port, and then apply battery power to the CB multiplex port and it will come on.. It might take a couple tries, but you have to get that SW load in the CB to get it to talk to 3.13 R3 or 3.2 receiver
GooseF22 is offline Find More Posts by GooseF22
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:48 AM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
Hello Goose, thank you. that did the trick to get the CB to be updated. however, after i did that, i went to device explorer, saws this:
Old Apr 03, 2014, 06:50 AM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
i got it all working now. for some reason, my futaba HV servo (for throttle) burned up, and the polarity was correct, in fact, it was working for the 1st 20 minutes or so, while i was programming the airplane, all of a sudden, it (the throttle servo) started to make a grinding sound with jittering, then the sound stopped. i touched the servo case, and it was hotter than a chrome bumper on a mac truck in the middle of august.
Last edited by orthobird; Apr 03, 2014 at 08:50 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2014, 09:36 PM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
well, i got it all working, except, when i go to explorer, it sees the two R3 and the CB 200, but i cannot make any adjustments thru device explorer. when i try to open next window, it states: error. however, i am able to make the changes thru the jetibox on my Tx. all is good now, and tomorrow will be the maiden: 40% yak, 170 cc DA, 2 batteries, lithium ion, 2 rudder servos, one servo per stab, and 2 per aileron. not a 3d plane, strictly IMAC. airplane weighs 36 pounds.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 01:53 PM
Italia, Lombardia, Milano
Joined Sep 2011
3 Posts
Cb200

Hi, I have a problem with Cbox200, everything works perfectly in DS16, also the telemetry, but do not work the channels 9 to 15. Tension there, but the signal no. thanks
Manciobis is offline Find More Posts by Manciobis
Last edited by Manciobis; Apr 11, 2014 at 03:58 AM.
Old May 07, 2014, 11:08 AM
Wren, Fromeco, JetiUSA, Esprit
Joined Feb 2008
124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orthobird View Post
well, i got it all working, except, when i go to explorer, it sees the two R3 and the CB 200, but i cannot make any adjustments thru device explorer. when i try to open next window, it states: error. however, i am able to make the changes thru the jetibox on my Tx. all is good now, and tomorrow will be the maiden: 40% yak, 170 cc DA, 2 batteries, lithium ion, 2 rudder servos, one servo per stab, and 2 per aileron. not a 3d plane, strictly IMAC. airplane weighs 36 pounds.

did you get it all working? if not then email me.. I pm'd you my email
GooseF22 is offline Find More Posts by GooseF22
Old May 18, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooseF22 View Post
did you get it all working? if not then email me.. I pm'd you my email
yes, i have, and i also today, set up a 2nd airplane with the jeti way. it is a 40% extra 330. it has 14 outputs i am using out of the CB 200. this post helped me again big time with getting it done. thanks again!!
Old May 18, 2014, 08:49 PM
Joined Feb 2014
147 Posts
i need to convert two more planes, and i will be done!! a 35% with a 120 cc engine, and a 27% with a 50 cc engine.